Show off your Ritteri (H. magnifica)

Thanks. It's stayed pretty well put. It's actually in my wife's tank and she's concerned about the ritteri getting smaller fish so it's actually moving over to my tank. It's a shame since it's doing great in hers right now but I can understand...and it gives me an opportunity to get some new clowns...leaning towards orange skunks.

My clowns patrol it on a regular basis. They push the Tangs away when they think they are too close. My tanks think they are clowns and play with the clowns all day. When the clowns get spooked they head toward the anemone, of course the tanks follow, but get pushed away, just out of reach of the tentacles.

The tangs float within mm of the tentacles and the clowns tolerate it. Almost like the clowns sense the water movement. The tangs have learned the 'bubble' distance around the ritteri and are good at staying out of it.

They are all funny to watch. They play chase and what looks like tag. Non aggressive at all. They follow each other and swim side by side all the time.

Mine just hit the 6 month mark in my tank.
100_3020_zps01e4bc9b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I just came out of 3 days of lights off today. I was did this to fight off some GHA. When I turned on the lights at 10% and started cleaning I noticed my Ritteri was on the move. Once I finished my cleaning I bumped the lights up a bit.

It quickly moved back to its spot and was happy as a... I guess I cant say clam... hahaha

Watch this video (High def is better btw)
<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Rr8EY3owJxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now that you see the size look at this picture:

20130403_184146.jpg

Picture was Apr 3. Video was yesterday (Jul 18). You can see the RBTA in the front. The trumpet is closer to the camera/front of tank than the rbta is. Like on that little just that sticks out JUST to the left of the RBTA.

Thought I would share a picture update to the Mag's current size as it has grown quite a bit.

When I first posted back in April or May.

Current pic from roughly the same spot.

I have a jvc 1080 camera. I will have to look up the model number. edit *** JVC GZEX210

In my build thread I think ALL of the videos are off this camera. It does time lapse and everything.

I really like it. The foot print is about the size of a 16oz can of soda.

Snowflake clowns regularly lay eggs.
It's a 48x24x30H tank under 2 MVAVA 240W led fixtures, running at 84%.
Fixtures are set for 3hr dusk period, 7hr full day, 3hr dawn, followed by 4hr moonlight.
I also run a very large 200gal. Multi-tank sump with chaeto and lots of live rock in the basement. 2 MP10's and 1 MP40 handle the display water flow.
I built a crown type rock structure at top and its been there since I put it in 6 months ago.
It did move around at first, but with a little coaching it decided that it liked it up top.
Trick is to build the crown up top at the highest rock point, with no other rocks or tank walls in direct access of the anemone, that is if you want it to stay there and not wander all over the tank disturbing the corals.
It's about 16" across now and being fed premium mysis and brine shrimp w/spirulina, the same thing I feed all my fish.
Picture taken with iphone5.

Last edited:
Back