Show Us Your Lionfish

Here's a photo showing the stealth stick in action (and a couple of pretty lions too!):

P. sphex feeding from stealth stick

A stealth stick is an acrylic rod with a length of 50# monofilament attached to it. The line is stiff enuff to get the food where you want it, but doesn't spook the fishes like a regular stick can. It also doesn't seem to bother them if they grab the line...we've had fishes go stick shy when they grab a stick.

Here's a photo showing the stealth stick in action (and a couple of pretty lions too!):

P. sphex feeding from stealth stick

A stealth stick is an acrylic rod with a length of 50# monofilament attached to it. The line is stiff enuff to get the food where you want it, but doesn't spook the fishes like a regular stick can. It also doesn't seem to bother them if they grab the line...we've had fishes go stick shy when they grab a stick.

Looks cool. Couldn't I just use the 50# mono? Ill try to put a ghost on a stick when I buy some more tomorrow.

You could try, but the stick really helps you get a good "wiggle" and helps you get the food exactly where you need it. It's not 100% perfect, but as of yet, we haven't figured out a better way to feed our fishes.

We've actually had blotched anthias learn to stick feed, which was a bit of a PITA cuz they'd want to swoop in on the lionfishes' food.

Heres that juv i was talking about. He's a little off the glass but you get the point. I've never seen one this small eating frozen...

Actually, nobody sells a true "stealth stick"...we hold a provisional patent on the design. However, you can indeed get the clear acrylic feeding stick, from which you can DIY a stealth stick using 50# monofilament. Here's a pic of one of our early sticks:

stick900.jpg

sticktip700.jpg

You'll love him/her, very hardy and personable animals.

Well they said they cant get one in at the moment. But they can get a dwarf zebra lion. Anyone have experience with these or should I stick to my guns and get a fuzzy?

Zebras are great lionfish, the only problem is its hard to get a healthy one from the start. If you can find that they are just as good as a fuzzy. I've had mine over a year now and when I got him he was extremely skinny, but was eating well and didn't have any parasites. He's fat as a hog and healthy as an ox now though. I like hem because they look like little volitans almost.

I'd be getting it from live aquaria. I assume it would be in good condition coming from them? could I call and see what they're feeding them and how they look? Its not a dd order just a standard stock item.

I'd be getting it from live aquaria. I assume it would be in good condition coming from them? could I call and see what they're feeding them and how they look? Its not a dd order just a standard stock item.

They have a list of what they feed all their specimens, im pretty sure its for all their fish, not just the DD fish. Bought my lion from live aquaria, although it was from DD, very healthy but would only take ghost shrimp for awhile.

Well hopefully it works out. I just placed my order for a dwarf zebra lionfish from LA it'll be here tomorrow.

Back