Show Us Your Lionfish

Most of the time they only feed their lions live food, unless it readily takes dead, but I would count on it not being weaned yet

null-1.jpg

My big guy sadly passed away about 4 months ago. He had been with the previous owner for 10 years and spent 3 years with me. So no telling how old he was. He lost his eyesite about a year ago so I spent alot of time teaching him to eat from my hand. I would bounce a shrimp off his nose and he would eat that way. One day he just quit eating and a week later he layed on the bottom and died. It was sad the s&s puffer would swim under the lion hiding and they slept next to each other and while the lion was dying the puff never left his side. So tell me fish aren't smart. I put him in the jar because I had never seen another one this big in captivity. He was 13" long and as big around as my forearm. This is a 1g jar for reference.

df6bd62e.jpg

Here he was in all his glory.

That was a pretty vollie.

I kept my first volitans for a good 10 years, so I know your pain. Our last volitans was about 12"+ and altho we had her for several years, we lost her to a recurring resistant strain of crypto.

Nice fish, but your IMG code is wrong somehow...it only works if I paste it to the addy bar.

Well I was going to buy a lionfish...turns out all they had were turkey fish...I don't like birds so I will just watch yours. Good looking fish!

Istanbul was Constantinople now its Istanbul not Constantinople now I just found out a turkey fish is actually a lionfish. Ugh.....

Well I was going to buy a lionfish...turns out all they had were turkey fish...I don't like birds so I will just watch yours. Good looking fish!

You can always pick another common name, or just call it a "lionfish":

Butterfly cod, featherfins, peacock lionfish, firefish, red lionfish, scorpionfish, scorpion cod, zebrafish, turkeyfish...you get the idea. OR, you could always be a bit more correct and call it a volitans. Altho we don't do so, you could also just give it a name...Mufasa, Simba, Fred...

Man it was a joke haha. I'm actually a well rounded individual lol. I run my own local frag/tank setup/custom glass sump business. And I did used to have a Volitans named Mufasa! He was great pals with my pufferfish named...get this...pumba haha. I always kept an eye on them of course. They've always had separate diets too, never got into any brawls. I raised saltwater acclimated mollies as feeders who doubled as a cleanup crew. Boy I do miss that setup. All reef for me now.

Some awesome things about lionfish I learned from experience:
Pee on your hand if you get stung
Never expect a fish to be ignored as lunch
They look great perched near massive Duncan corals.

Man it was a joke haha. I'm actually a well rounded individual lol. I run my own local frag/tank setup/custom glass sump business. And I did used to have a Volitans named Mufasa! He was great pals with my pufferfish named...get this...pumba haha. I always kept an eye on them of course. They've always had separate diets too, never got into any brawls. I raised saltwater acclimated mollies as feeders who doubled as a cleanup crew. Boy I do miss that setup. All reef for me now.

Some awesome things about lionfish I learned from experience:
Pee on your hand if you get stung
Never expect a fish to be ignored as lunch
They look great perched near massive Duncan corals.
you should've got a Mombasa lionfish and called him mufasa.

You can always pick another common name, or just call it a "lionfish":

Butterfly cod, featherfins, peacock lionfish, firefish, red lionfish, scorpionfish, scorpion cod, zebrafish, turkeyfish...you get the idea. OR, you could always be a bit more correct and call it a volitans. Altho we don't do so, you could also just give it a name...Mufasa, Simba, Fred...

Thats funny. My kids are calling ours Mufasa:p

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376603895196.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376603895196.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 2
Back