Some anemones in Fiji

BonsaiNut

Premium Member
Just came back from a couple weeks in Fiji. Thought people might enjoy some anemone pics :) I took all of these while snorkeling.

H. crispa
fiji1.jpg

E. quadricolor
fiji2.jpg

S. mertensii
fiji3.jpg

H. malu
fiji4.jpg

M. doreensis
fiji5.jpg

H. magnifica
fiji6.jpg

H. crispa (two color morphs next to each other, shared by a pair of A. frenatus)
fiji7.jpg

E. quadricolor
fiji8.jpg

S. haddoni
fiji9.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing! Especially love the second to last one with the nem in the center of an. Acro colony. I love seeing things in their natural setting.

Amazing! Especially love the second to last one with the nem in the center of an. Acro colony. I love seeing things in their natural setting.

I've got tons of shots of E. quadricolor colonies in acro colonies and tucked into rocks. I took almost 300 anemone shots this trip :)

1:
Just came back from a couple weeks in Fiji.

We MISSED you!!! Welcome back! :)

2:
Thought people might enjoy some anemone pics :) I took all of these while snorkeling.

I can't believe it! All this and you weren't even diving?? I gotta go there!

And 3:
H. magnifica
fiji6.jpg

I checked my mail EVERY DAY and I don't remember seeing this at my doorstep. I thought we were closer than that. :(

All kidding aside, those are some amazing pics! Thanks for sharing.

:)No Gigantea? What is the mater with you?:)

Very nice pictures. I wish I have that Magnifica in my tank.

Wow

Wow

Amazing mertens!!!!!!!!

the best part about it is when you go through all the pics you notice most anemones arent exposed to open water except the mertens and magnifica. Most are tucked away.

the haddon basically shows your how they live and why alot of times then dont do well in aquariums.

Bonsai how bad was the water movement by the haddoni?

Sweet! I really like the two h. Crispas side by side. What camera were you using to take these pictures?

:)No Gigantea? What is the mater with you?:)

I didn't see any. In fact, S. gigantea and H. aurora were the only two clown anemones I didn't see on the entire trip. The most numerous by far were E. quadricolor (almost always in colonies) and H. crispa. I have looked, and I have never seen a single S. gigantea photo online (or in books) that I can definitely source from Fiji. Of course, I only saw a tiny sliver of the islands - though I visited numerous reefs in an area of about 15 miles x 10 miles.

What camera were you using to take these pictures?

I was using a Canon Powershot D10. All photos are in natural sunlight without flash. For a compact point and shoot, I was really happy with the camera - it takes decent photos in the air as well (though I used a different camera as my primary land camera).

most anemones arent exposed to open water except the mertens and magnifica. Most are tucked away.

Yes; really only the H. magnificas were completely out on the rocks. Every anemone besides the haddonis were out on the reef wall - there were NONE in the shallows. Most of the anemones I saw had the ability to completely pull back into rocks.

Bonsai how bad was the water movement by the haddoni?

I only saw two haddonis on this trip, but they were both in the tidal surge zone. At low tide they were in less than 18" of water. They were so shallow they were at the margin of the beach sand and the sea grass beds.

It is tough taking pictures underwater primarily due to the fact that it is almost impossible to stay still while snorkeling. Most of these shots were along the top of the reef wall so they were typically in less than 10' of water. Here is an idea of what it looked like (you can see two magnificas on the wall if you look close):

fiji10.jpg

Where I stayed.

fiji11.jpg

What it looked like at sunset :)

fiji12.jpg

luck person you are.

I think gigantea are not so common in fiji, i too have never seen or heard of any from there.

Back