starfish infestation

I'm getting a little concerned about some very small starfish that are multiplying like crazy in my tank.

A few months ago I noticed about 1/2 dozen on the glass in the morning when I came out, now I have to guess there are possibly hundreds. On the glass, in the sand on the rock, etc.

They are small. The tiniest ones look a little deformed, or their legs have not all developed. The larger, and larger means less in diameter than a dime, have 5 distinct legs. They are off-white/grey colored.

Any ideas?

From what I understand, they're harmless. I'm sure somebody else might tell you different though. If you want to get rid of them, the best thing I think you can do is just manually remove as many as you can right before a water change. Do this repeatedly and you should be able to get ahold of the population. Sounds tedious, but I don't think there's anything that will eat them. Harlequin shrimp maybe.

Harlequin shrimp will, but will surely die after they are depleted. Removing them manually is probably best.

harlequin will eat them. mine got rid of thousands of them in my 240. well know this. if u want to keep a harlequin just feed it a chocolate chip starfish every now and then. I get one once a month and the rest of the time it hunts those asterinas down. they will never go away but will keep the population down. I found the asterinas eating my zoos so be careful. good luck

I've had these in several different tanks and they never seem to cause a problem. A nice addition to biodiversity. But if you see them hanging around a particular coral and that coral begins to do poorly, there's a slim chance you have one of the nasty ones that eats corals. There's not a good way to tell the harmless ones from the much more unusual predators. If I were you I'd just wait and see.

Back