My first saltwater aquarium

Thanks, I am going to start slow, will add 2 clownfish and 1 fire fish first. Eventually I plan on adding 1 banggai cardinalfish, 1 royal gramma, 1 azure damselfish, 1 watchman goby paired with shrimp, 1 chalk bass, 1 flame Hawkfish, and a centerpiece fish I have not decided on, maybe a wrasse. Not sure if this will be too much for a 75 gallon tank. Once I am done adding the fish I will start adding coral, probably soft and LPS.
Depending on your lights, macro algae & coral can be added now.

With respect to your selection of fish, the order in which they are added to system is important. Add your most aggressive fish last. Also, with respect to the Cardinal fish, this is a schooling fish with 3-5 recomended.

I have a heavier fish load in my 75G, Tank is 25 years mature with reverse flow undergravel filter and a 40G cryptic & mud refugium.

Transferred my Royal Gramma from QT to DT and she is very happy. The QT is cleaned and set up for the next resident. Will be picking up a Chalk Bass today or tomorrow. Cant wait!

Transferred my Royal Gramma from QT to DT and she is very happy. The QT is cleaned and set up for the next resident. Will be picking up a Chalk Bass today or tomorrow. Cant wait!
Chalk bass are great fish!

Feeling really sad this morning. My Royal Gramma, Camilla, died some time last night. She hasn't come out for feeding last two nights and I found her this morning in the rocks. She was in the qt for the first 3 weeks and seemed healthy and happy when I put her in dt last Tuesday. My 2 clownfish and the fire fish look fine as of now. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sad that happened. I wonder if it just kind of got stuck in the rocks.

mine were great for fighting algae but I ended up getting rid of them because they kept rearranging my corals lol

Wow, you must have big hermit crabs. All mine are small and could not ever move a coral. I know there are some big species, but yeah, they would not be suitable for an aquarium.

Feeling really sad this morning. My Royal Gramma, Camilla, died some time last night. She hasn't come out for feeding last two nights and I found her this morning in the rocks. She was in the qt for the first 3 weeks and seemed healthy and happy when I put her in dt last Tuesday. My 2 clownfish and the fire fish look fine as of now. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It's always disappointing when things like this happen. Did you check the water parameters of the two tanks were the same before the transfer? Smaller QT tanks can vary a bit.

It's always disappointing when things like this happen. Did you check the water parameters of the two tanks were the same before the transfer? Smaller QT tanks can vary a bit.
Temp and salinity were the same. Maybe next time I will do drip acclimation between qt and dt......

Canister filters are not ideal for a reef aquarium. While they do a great of removing detritus from the water column. The stuff the remove is still in your system. In the filter it will break down and add phosphate and nitrate to your tank unless you clean it frequently. That typically means twice a week. It is not an issue when your tank is new and pretty clean. But over time the tend to become algae factories. This is true of any kind of filter media if not cleaned often enough. That is why filter rollers have become so popular and also why skimmers work well.
Your tank looks great so far. Enjoy your new tank.

Wow, you must have big hermit crabs. All mine are small and could not ever move a coral. I know there are some big species, but yeah, they would not be suitable for an aquarium.
My emerald crab has caused a couple of accidents with toppling corals/rocks

Nah they were small guys, probably no bigger than a quarter but they found a way constantly to break glue for frags I had attached, and any frag what was set somewhere not yet glued, they'd knock over constantly. Once I got rid of the crabs that magically stopped happening šŸ˜‚

My cuc so far: 1 large Mexican Turbo snail, 1 conch, 2 Nassaurius snails, 3 Cerith snails, 4 Astrea snails, 6 red legged hermit crabs, 2 blue legged hermit crabs, and 1 zebra hermit crab. So far the cuc is keeping the tank clean and they are all fun to keep track of and observe in general, specially the turbo and conch.

Found this guy riding on my turbo snail. Can anyone identify it please?

Attachments

• IMG20240301162111.jpg
    IMG20240301162111.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 4
Back