the guys from tanked and petco are joining forces

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to vegas in oct and went to the ice bar specifically to see the jelly tank they installed. When I arrived it was not there and when I asked where it was I was told that all the jelly fish died right after the install because the room was too cold to maintain the heat needed. Think about what I just wrote, that is the game plan for ATM. Build wild tank at specific location, have the specific location get advertisement. Win/win. Its all business you guys think they travel around and do this for the good of fish and fish tanks? Its all profit baby they don't care what happens after they leave. Thats how the real world works.

Did it ever occured to you that maybe it's the client who is clueless on jellyfish tank care? I don't blame ATM for this. I place the blame on the client that wanted this to begin with without any prior KNOWLEDGE in caring for a specialized tank - which by the way is a far more complex set-up opposed to a saltwater tank.

Did it ever occured to you that maybe it's the client who is clueless on jellyfish tank care? I don't blame ATM for this. I place the blame on the client that wanted this to begin with without any prior KNOWLEDGE in caring for a specialized tank - which by the way is a far more complex set-up opposed to a saltwater tank.

You would think though that with the client spending many thousands of dollars that the atm people would say "hey, maybe you should rethink what type of tank you want."

^+1

we get people who come into the pet store all the time who have no clue what kind of care is required for stuff, specifically reptiles. and i make sure to lay out all the nitty gritty as to what care, size enclosure, needs, all that stuff, then if they still want it we can go from there.

i love tanked..esp the shark tank they did for tracy morgan and the huge koi pond...everything else was meh

I hated the Tracy Morgan segment because that fool was nowhere to be seen. Not during the building nor especially during the transfer of sharks.

He's for show only and couldn't care less about his creatures. What kind of empty headed idjit would send someone else out to buy their stock? I really despise people like that.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the show.

personally don't care much for the show, the petco here is meh at best. I look forward to the change, can't get much worse really. I think stupid people kill way more fish, inverts and corals than petco. I know i have killed a few with my own stupidity that's for sure. I haven't always been a fish expert. lol

I hate to bash Petco since they have really reasonable prices on aquarium products, but the local Petco near my home has horrible livestock. All the fish end up getting what appears to be ich, white dots everywhere. I see the Tanked shows and I think they do cool stuff, but hopefully they will fix the issues with the livestock. I don't like to bash on them but like i said something needs to be done. I don't want to bring another subject to the table but I feel something needs to be done as well at All Pets Emporium. I visited the store in Pembroke Pines and their cylinder tank had a bunch of sick and dead fish. Their livestock as well looked horrible. You would think these huge money making corporations would actually train their employees to keep their animals in tip top shape. You keep customers happy by providing them with good quality livestock and goods and they will come back.

Last edited:
I'm compelled to say something because they entertain me more than most other programs.
The guys on Tanked are Acrylic Tank Manufacturers, not reef keepers. For the most part, they build & install custom FO setups with fake coral inserts. On occasion some have LR. Rarely do they get involved with live corals. I saw them use softies ONCE on that Feng Shui setup. Probably not the best idea, but all you can do is hope the clients have a clue moving forward from there. Certainly, they discussed livestock choices prior to acquiring them, even though the clients appeared excited at the reveal.
You may or may not care for Tracy Morgan, but they built him a proper setup for the species he wanted to keep. What more are they supposed to do?
And really, how difficult is an FO tank? About as easy as goldfish to most of us. Properly designed & constructed FO tanks don't need to "mature" like a reef does before you start adding most livestock. An adequate nitrogen cycle & you're essentially good to go. Modern products can greatly accelerate and control that process if you choose to use them.
From what I see, these guys don't spare expenses or proceed improperly with regard to the well being of livestock. I'd expect that many of their clients, with such deep pockets, have a professional service come in and take care of their setups after it's all said & done. That church in Texas hired a full time Marine Biologist and support staff. Other clients may enjoy doing maintenance and have time to get personally involved. Undoubtedly, some don't do the proper research, put the effort in or underfund it, fail, and quit. That's not a situation exclusive to clients on Tanked. One can't blame the Tanked guys for such people, anymore than your most ethical LFS who sells a top end system to someone with a wide open checkbook that insists on having the best. Actually not a bad way to start out, if you can afford it.
As others have said, exposure because of these guys can be a good thing for the hobby. Of course, the drama is often over the top. But they're trying to appeal to a broader audience, and not just fish nerds. Without some drama, a show about building fish tanks would not stay on the air. If you want build technicalities with minimum drama, read the RC member tank build threads. My wife finds their show interesting, to the point that she's starting to actually show positive interest in what is my mostly intolerable hobby - "Why don't you make yours look really nice like that one?" OK honey, does that mean I can spend money like they do?
As far as Petco, putting ATM branded products in their stores is not likely to be a huge step backwards for them or consumers. Probably going to be stuff most reefers wouldn't use anyway, made in China, with Wayde & Brett's faces on the package. If Petco decides to improve the livestock aspect of their business, they should hire someone like Bob Fenner to direct saltwater operations, and not leave it up to individual stores to hit or miss. But knowing big corporations, they'd get some marketing guy to make livestock decisions.

ATM wholesaler ERI (exotic reef imports) is not one of the best either. Their fishes and corals are usually not that great or healthy. A lot of the pictures that you see from these wholesalers on their website are just eye candy. Its very unlikely that your LFS would get it unless you order XXXX dollar amount.

ATM was an entertaining show, but dumping in 20 boxes of fish, which already aren't the best from the wholesaler, in a giant tank is not really a recipe for success.

ATM wholesaler ERI (exotic reef imports) is not one of the best either. Their fishes and corals are usually not that great or healthy. A lot of the pictures that you see from these wholesalers on their website are just eye candy. Its very unlikely that your LFS would get it unless you order XXXX dollar amount.

ATM was an entertaining show, but dumping in 20 boxes of fish, which already aren't the best from the wholesaler, in a giant tank is not really a recipe for success.

ATM doesn't just buy from Exotic Reef Imports FWIW....

^+1

we get people who come into the pet store all the time who have no clue what kind of care is required for stuff, specifically reptiles. and i make sure to lay out all the nitty gritty as to what care, size enclosure, needs, all that stuff, then if they still want it we can go from there.

I get this too, at least 3 times a day.

*walks up to me with 2 gallon betta bowl and confetti colored gravel*

"thinkin' about a getting that "Nemo" over there, sooo just use regular table salt?"

:headwally:

I love Tanked but I recognize it is an entertainment show designed to attract a mainstream audience as opposed to catering to dedicated hobbyists. They spend very little time discussing the specifics of keeping an aquarium or the species in it. The fish are more of an accessory than the focus of the show.

Petco is also designed to appeal to the mainstream audience as well but I am a little more troubled by them because unlike Tanked they are in the business of "educating consumers".

At the end of the day my only disappointment is this signals Petco will continue to sell saltwater species and I would prefer it was left to more specialized channels even if it did drive prices a little higher.

I think tanked and petco are the same. Not for hobbiest at all. For my dogs I go to a family owned pets shop that carry great quality foods. For Lfs I am truly lucky to be in San Diego where we have around 4 quality shops that cater to us hobbiest. My favorite is aquasd.com 15 min away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back