The Life Reef Skimmer Club

I'm thinking about switching over to a Lifereef on my new setup, a ~225 gallon total volume (150 gallon display), medium bioload reef. Which would work best here? And what pump would be a good pair for it to keep it quiet? I was thinking the SVS3-30 in sump but undecided on pump and injector.

I've got a Fluval sp4 on a vs2-24 and love it. I'm going with the sp6 on my vs3-30 with the mazzei injector for my 210 gal once it's up and running.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about switching over to a Lifereef on my new setup, a ~225 gallon total volume (150 gallon display), medium bioload reef. Which would work best here? And what pump would be a good pair for it to keep it quiet? I was thinking the SVS3-30 in sump but undecided on pump and injector.

Go to Lifereef web site and send e-mail or phone call to Jeff and get his opinion. Very knowledgeable guy and no one knows his products better than him! He is a sole owner/operator so may not be instantaneous response, but you will get one. Great product.

A 30" skimmer with the standard Venturi driven by a jebao 10-12000 would be quiet and more then enough skimmer for a 225.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My vs3 24 ships next week �� I've read on here that soaking in a 24 hour vinegar bath will speed up break in. Would tunze citric acid achieve the same results in less time?

My vs3 24 ships next week �� I've read on here that soaking in a 24 hour vinegar bath will speed up break in. Would tunze citric acid achieve the same results in less time?

You should be good enough with the vinegar bath. A Jecod DCT 6,000 pump should be more than enough and you will enjoy the quietness.

You should be good enough with the vinegar bath. A Jecod DCT 6,000 pump should be more than enough and you will enjoy the quietness.
What speed do you run your dct6000 at? I just got a dcs-6500 and was thinking of using that as i currently run an old dc-12000 on 3 pips but it is too loud.

What speed do you run your dct6000 at? I just got a dcs-6500 and was thinking of using that as i currently run an old dc-12000 on 3 pips but it is too loud.

I run it on the 8th setting and it is not loud at all. I have noticed that between models the newer pumps are quieter. My DCP is quieter than my DCT.

Ive been running a D.C. 6000 (the older blue model) on 5 outa 6 for the last 2 years and it's always been quiet and reliable I may get a 9000, use that for my return and put the 6 on the new skimmer.

Does anyone use a quick connect on the airline leaving the collection cup? If so what type, size and how well do they work? Thanx.

Yay me! I finally finished reading this whole thread! Wowza! I realized I never posted my repair pictures... coming soon...

Yesterday I received my vs3 24 in blue, I wish I could post pics I ran it for 15 min in the sink with citric acid and installed it. I'm running a jebao dcp 8000 at 80 percent there are some micro bubbles in my return now but thanks to this thread I know they'll go away in time. She hasn't produced anything more than a dirty neck yet, but again I I've learned from those who've gone before me to be patient. As far as noise goes this thing is much quieter than my sump, all I can hear is trickling water. So far so good thanx to jeff for designing and building such a great product. And thanx to the folks here for sharing there experiences with it

Welcome to the club from an old time reefer who also joined the club recently. Love the quality of Lifereef. Skimmer is awesome and the best I have seen in 30 years of reef keeping.

Thanks for paving the way. I was worried about the o ring and the air hose, it looked like removing and replacing the cup would be awkward but that's not the case at all the quick connect works great it all just works

Thanks for paving the way. I was worried about the o ring and the air hose, it looked like removing and replacing the cup would be awkward but that's not the case at all the quick connect works great it all just works

Jeff's work is top notch I think you'll be surprised how much you'll end up liking the skimmer.

Back