The Volcano Tank - Konolua

this is definitely the coolest reef tank Ive seen. So creative and unique. How do the crabs react when people come into the room? Do they scurry back into the water or have they gotten used to the presence of people in the room?

This is actually really cool. They still scatter, but something you don't expect to hear is THEM. They make TONS of noises. Not just the normal stuff like the bubbles they blow, the pops and sizzle sounds,.....but the neat things to hear are their skeletons against the rocks and stuff. That is really cool. It sounds like you dropped a metal toy (like a matchbox car) and had it roll down a rock wall of volcanic rock. Really neat. When they fight or run after something they do it too. But when you walk in, they decide what's going on and will most likely bolt...otherwise, they sit there and blow bubbles.

Awesome guys....

That is an Amazing tank!

How do you keep the rock in place?

So, is the expectation that the snails and hermits be eaten by the crabs and reason why you have to replenish so often? Doesn't that get costly?

Do you get any salt-creep on the rocks?

That is an Amazing tank!

How do you keep the rock in place?

So, is the expectation that the snails and hermits be eaten by the crabs and reason why you have to replenish so often? Doesn't that get costly?

Do you get any salt-creep on the rocks?

Just a touch of salt creep, though not as much as I was expecting....

The rocks are in place due to weight. Since they are all so heavy, and there are only 5, it is no issue. The two of the largest (they make up the right wall and front wall) are, due to luck, naturally locked together (out of chance). They rest against the overflow for added stability. The others sit on each other....

Konolua,

Do you know of any source online where you can purchase the shore crabs that are in your tank? I have a similar tank to yours, just slightly larger (72x36x14) and I am playing around with the idea of doing a mountainous range with several rocks protruding out of the water. I have looked for hours but cannot find those crabs for sale anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and awesome tank!!

Konolua,

Do you know of any source online where you can purchase the shore crabs that are in your tank? I have a similar tank to yours, just slightly larger (72x36x14) and I am playing around with the idea of doing a mountainous range with several rocks protruding out of the water. I have looked for hours but cannot find those crabs for sale anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and awesome tank!!

No. Don't think anyone does online. Just not a common creature to house....

The shore crab is likely a Grapsid. There are similar crabs in the Galapagos but they may be a larger species. Tank and volcano are great. You might be able to find a crab like this by looking at floating flotsom in tropical or subtropical waters. These crabs are amphibious.

Kyle, did you get an id on the crabs and are these from Southern California? I could compare the pics with a guide I have on Galapagos crabs, Pachygrapsus comes to mind. I will check tomorrow.

Yeah. I mentioned earlier (I think), that they are Pachygrapsus crassipes. Local to Southern California. They border the Pacific Rim. Sound even down into South America and in Japan.

Cool species! Temperate to many climates. Hardy. Awesome!

Yeah. I mentioned earlier (I think), that they are Pachygrapsus crassipes. Local to Southern California. They border the Pacific Rim. Sound even down into South America and in Japan.

Cool species! Temperate to many climates. Hardy. Awesome!

I thought those crabs looked familiar!

Your tank is Amazing, Unique and Very Beautiful!!!
Can't wait to see more! I put this thread in my Favorites!!!
Great Job!!

Great tank creativity. I think you've just solved my dilemma with the mangrove in my sump as well. it is branching and growing beyond the height of it's light source. Building a raised sand bed surrounded by rock in my DS may solve that issue. Thanks

Thanks for the response Kyle. I may keep checking around. Any California RCers out there want to collect a few for me, lol? Here in Florida we have worthless little hermits.

Thanks for the response Kyle. I may keep checking around. Any California RCers out there want to collect a few for me, lol? Here in Florida we have worthless little hermits.

You could try the red stripe hermit crab, Clibbanarius vittatus. These crabs come totally out of the water. Not as interesting as the grapsid though.

My bad, you mention the crab species on the first page. I am surprised they are not destructive. Now if you could only find a miniature marine iguana. It would be like the Galapagos.

Back