Thinking about getting out........

Hey Kenny, sorry to hear things are kinda rough right now for you. If you can hold out a month or so, I'll hopefully have my new system up and running by then. I might be interested in your large colonies and fish depending on what they are.

I got out once. Had two tanks at home, plus a QT tank, and a 6 gallon tank in my office. Sold the 6 and 12, all the livestock, and packed the rest up.

And stared at the empty 29 gallon for six years, until I bought my new tank a few months ago. :bounce3:

I'm still finding equipment from back then! There is no getting out!

Last edited:
How does one even go about selling stuff from an established 300 gallon system with some large colonies, a bunch of high priced fish, and high end equipment? Selling it all piece meal is such a pain but no one wants to plop down a fat chunk of change for everything at once. Either way, looks like selling it all is a pain and keeping the system is also a pain.

Seen some people start with live stock sales. I'd try and get everyone to show up the same day. You'll have to price the coral to sell and it may take 1-2 weekends.

Then sell the not essential equipment like skimmer, lights, circulation pump. You can drain and sell the fish at the same time. Another weekend.

Then you can usually find a buyer for; tank, stand, plumbing, rock, sand, and return. Usually can leave as a package. Maybe I'll even buy this part!

Selling a large system is dificult. You have to get luck and find that right person.

Some time ago, I was that right person. had cash in hand and was ready to go big. Found my 400g setup, complete. Talked a buddy into helping me move it. Had to rent a 20' box truxk to move it all in. Funny thing was, there was another person interested in the tank as well. Was even offering more money. But the owner felt I would take better care of the system, so I got it.

But you have to be realistic on your price. Your not going to get full market retail, probably half if your lucky. Only because it is such a big purchase and takes a dedicaded person to want it.

So think about that when you think of selling. It may be easier to just keep it. ;)

Kenny if you quit so will I. I think you need to teach Brandon a few things so you can have some father bonding time. I think if the tank was in the house Alice would like it much better as well. If you need any help on anything let me know.

When you've been in it a long time downsizing is nearly impossible. That just leads to the upgrade cycle you've already been through. I've been tankless (at home) since February 2008. Each time I think about a reasonable sized tank I ask myself if I can stop there, the answer is always the same, NO. :lol:

Thinking about getting out........

Aww say it ain't so...

I remember you when you were on nanoreef.com.
I was so happy to know that there was someone close by in the IE who was as crazy about reefs as I was.

I understand how God reminds us of our priorities though through life's ups/downs.

Let me know if you need any help and best of luck and Godspeed with whatever you decide to do.

I wouldn't sell it. I did in the past just to buy it all again in a couple of years. Do the fowlr and turn some of the lights off for a while before you let it all go. Thats super easy you don't have to do as many water changes lol.

How does one even go about selling stuff from an established 300 gallon system with some large colonies, a bunch of high priced fish, and high end equipment? Selling it all piece meal is such a pain but no one wants to plop down a fat chunk of change for everything at once. Either way, looks like selling it all is a pain and keeping the system is also a pain.

I know what you mean Kenny. Good luck. I know which way I'm leaning.

Thanks for all the suggestions and words of support. Honestly, it's just a thought at this point. Perhaps I am just frustrated and acting irrational. It comes with age, I guess. Nothing is for sure at this point. What I don't need on my conscience is that Richard also quit because of me :lol:

Kenny did you bump your head? Automate and dress up the Man Cave. The Salt is in your blood, check your Alk you sound a little out of balance:)

If you do decide to quit and before you start selling coral off, make sure you give frags of your prized corals to trusted reefers just in case you decide to get back in. I know you have a lot of friends on here that would be willing to give you frags if you quit and started up again but there's nothing like getting your own coral back.

I say take a break. Once you're thinking about it, there's a reason why. Don't sell any of your equipment though. After a year if you don't get the itch, then sell everything at that point. Would be a loss to the old timers here. Good luck with what ever decision you make.

Mel

Back