Toofrigginswt's Custom 125 Gallon Tank Build

I use a lot less than recommended also. I actually hate replacing gfo because it appears the chaeto and coral growth slow down for a week.

Funny you say that because typically a few days after changing out the GFO is when I think my tank looks the worst. Lol.

Very nice Jonathan. Nice selection of corals. Top down shots are always something I'm a wee bit jealous of as my tank does not allow for that possibility (because I'm too lazy).

It's scientific proof that lower phosphates help the calcification process that enables growth. The key is to find that happy spot for your tank. Unfortunately, I can't use chaeto to gauge my tank as I don't have any. Usually after I change my media, I get new growth. That reminds me that it's been almost 10 weeks…

You should really start putting a water mark on your pics. They are to nice to let someone else use them.

Very nice Jonathan. Nice selection of corals. Top down shots are always something I'm a wee bit jealous of as my tank does not allow for that possibility (because I'm too lazy).

It's scientific proof that lower phosphates help the calcification process that enables growth. The key is to find that happy spot for your tank. Unfortunately, I can't use chaeto to gauge my tank as I don't have any. Usually after I change my media, I get new growth. That reminds me that it's been almost 10 weeks"¦

Thanks Mark. It's cool, the shots you take through the front of the tank are way better!

So the difficult part is to find that happy spot. What do you keep your phosphates at?

Great looking pics! Curious, what's the one in post #390, the one after strawberry shortcake?

I "think" it's a tricolor valida. Sorry, the frags were labeled when they came in and I thought I would remember the names. But unfortunately, I forgot which one that was. The green polyps and blue growth tips makes me believe it's a tricolor valida. I'm almost 90% certain through deductive reasoning :)

Right now, I have a tyree ultimate blue stag, fosters blue stag, and an ice tort that I can't tell which is which. I guess I'll find out when it grows to a mini colony.

You should really start putting a water mark on your pics. They are to nice to let someone else use them.

Hmmm. I don't know how to put a watermark on a picture. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the warning.

Tanks looking awesome Jonathan... Love the new skins!

Thanks Jeff!

Jonathan, are you using canon or nikon? If canon, you can borrow my macro lens.

If Nikon, you can borrow mine :beer:

I have a Canon. Thanks for the offer guys. I just ordered a cheapo macro extension tube last night to try out. Tris, I'll let you know when the time comes :)

Thanks Mark. It's cool, the shots you take through the front of the tank are way better!

So the difficult part is to find that happy spot. What do you keep your phosphates at?

I haven't tested my po4 in 2+ years. I used to run it around .08 - .12. Anything below that was too much work with 30+ fish.

I've been letting this little guy hang out in one of my wild acro pieces for a while but noticed that he started to grow some hair! He was bright white with a smooth shell when I first saw him. Well, I decided to not take the risk and removed him. So now my tank is officially crab free.

Hi Jonathan,
I had a couple quick question on your plumbing since it's been about 6 months...How do you like the setup of the manifold and it's location on the return line? I am planning my plumbing and I like the simplicity of your manifold. Anything you would change?

Also, I had a question about using all rigid PVC. Would you do it again? I like the clean look but wonder about vibration noise from the pumps and the ease of moving things around in the stand.

I'm thinking of going all SCH 80 but I have to admit that I love the red painted PVC! It just POPS with the red SCH 80 Valves and the red skimmer which I also have!!! :)

Hi Jonathan,
I had a couple quick question on your plumbing since it's been about 6 months...How do you like the setup of the manifold and it's location on the return line? I am planning my plumbing and I like the simplicity of your manifold. Anything you would change?

I think the manifold has worked as it should and I have been more than happy with it. I really like how easy it is to just connect a reactor without the use of additional pumps. I'm glad I don't have to use a Maxijet to power my reactors because those things are loud! I have one circulating my pre-made saltwater in the garage and I can hear the vibrations every time I open the garage. If I could do it over, I would use threaded gate valves for each manifold outlet. I realized that because I used slip gate valves, I can't change out to a different reactor without replacing the whole manifold. I wanted to upgrade my BRS reactors to the vertex but my manifold is pretty much permanent. Also, I would add unions on each end of the manifold to easily remove it.

Also, I had a question about using all rigid PVC. Would you do it again? I like the clean look but wonder about vibration noise from the pumps and the ease of moving things around in the stand.

It definitely does look cleaner. But in my setup, my sump is pretty much stuck at where I place it. I can't move it to another spot in my stand without redoing my drains. Vibrations aren't bad with rigid pipes because my skimmer and pumps in the display make more noise. I can definitely hear the vibrations with my head underneath the stand but with the skins attached, I barely notice it. Again, if I could do it over, I would probably use about 6 inches of flex pvc that directly connects to the return pump. All else would still be rigid.

I'm thinking of going all SCH 80 but I have to admit that I love the red painted PVC! It just POPS with the red SCH 80 Valves and the red skimmer which I also have!!! :)

All SCH 80 plumbing would look awesome! But to be honest, using all SCH 80 pipes is unnecessary. A home aquarium does not have enough pressure to need it. SCH 40 pipes are more than enough for our hobby. I went with SCH 80 valves because I've always felt that they tend to turn/twist better. I've used SCH 40 valves in the past and over time, it gets stuck and hard to turn.

I really hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions or if I left out any details.

I can attest on the sch80 being not needed Jeff. I went all sch 80 and if I ever did another build, I'd probably do the grey sch 40.

Thanks for all the details! I agree about the SCH 80 valves are much easier to turn and that's why I am going to use them. I know that the SCH 80 piping is overkill, I just like the cleaner look. And for $9 for a 5' piece on BRS, it's not much more expensive. It's the fittings that kill you!

Thanks for the tips on the Manifold as well. I was thinking of adding unions in case I need to remove it for maintenance.

Thanks again!!

Last edited:
I can attest on the sch80 being not needed Jeff. I went all sch 80 and if I ever did another build, I'd probably do the grey sch 40.

Mark - Do you have a source for grey SCH 40 locally or do you order it online? It would be interesting to see the price difference..

There is place in rio linda

4807 Rio Linda Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95838
water rite i believe is the name.

You could also try Savko online. They have just about everything at reasonable prices and I know a lot of people have bought from them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Great. Now I'm going to have to completely redo my sump area based off of the cleanliness of your current plumb. Also, add foam under the sump, and try out that 3 chamber doser. And I've considered changing the way my reactors are attached to the sump.

My wife keeps giving me **** for not spending enough time with her because I'm always "dicking with my man toys." as she calls it.

Way to put me back in the dog house!

*shakes fist*

On a side note, totally worth it.

Nice setup you got there.

sch 80 is grey
sch 40 is white

just an fyi!

Also, Water- rite is retail store and do not have grey sch 40 pipe! they may try and sell you electrical pipe.

27 years in the field and have never seen grey sch 40. sorry gang!

tom

sch 80 is grey
sch 40 is white

just an fyi!

Also, Water- rite is retail store and do not have grey sch 40 pipe! they may try and sell you electrical pipe.

27 years in the field and have never seen grey sch 40. sorry gang!

tom

I thought that was the case....never seen grey sch 40 either!

Back