Turbo snails falling on their backs!!

A. Grandis

Anybody knows what really happens with them?

Some times they fall because when the light comes on they don't have time to retract and get shocked by the bright flash. I know... I'm not talking about that.

They have plenty algae to eat on, but fall back on their shells and die with their feet srinked.:hmm5: They can't "walk".
In the past I've heard that there was a type of microbe disease (?) doing that.
I wonder if there is more info on the topic today.

Thanks,
Grandis.

would like to know myself....All I know is when mine start falling and I have to keep picking them up they are on their way out.

I thought I had read it has more to do with salinity and temps. Mine started doing that too but only after they were in the tank for a few months.

Yeap. When one goes, all of them following the first one.
Some times happens right a way. Some times takes months to happen.

Well, what temp /salinity changes that would be?
This is serious stuff, I guess.
Many people have had the same problem for years.

Grandis.

Turbo's are the one snail that only lasts a few months in my tank.. And it's pretty much the same thing. One day one is laying on it's back, I flip him over.. repeat until the CUC comes and gets him.. and then any others seem to go.

I only buy these things to get rid of my pink cotton candy algae so I was never really worried about it. I have always read they don't last that long in tanks so I just figure they are sacrifitial snails :)

Oh no... they are not "sacrificial snails".
I've had them for years, reproducing and having a good time.
It's just that particular event that comes and gets them all.

There is something weird.

Grandis.

Haha. They would be if you had the nasty algae outbreak I had. It was either all my coral or them :)

Sorry I jest :)

I should also mention I have Mexican Turbo's. Not sure what the difference is... Locality only?

I would think the differences among species or where they come from are not critical.
The fact they die like that is what would need to be addressed.

Grandis.

Huuummm...
At 79?
My systems are 79F.
I've had 82F systems with them for more than a year...
That's why I don't think it's high temp, nor our tanks have temp too high.
That doesn't happen only with Turbos, but Trochus spp. also.
I still don't know what temp whould be the best for them.
Please let me know what you think...

Grandis.

Last edited:
I believe they need 65-70 to live their full life which I believe it's about 10 years. Don't quote me on it though. It's longer than 1 year in cooler waters at least. It doesn't happen only with turbos, but there are a lot of snails that are common to tropical aquariums that also live in cooler waters in nature. This is also thought to be why many saltwater snails climb out of the tank - because they feel the cooler temperature in the air and look for water in that direction. Then again, temperature might not have anything to do with the falling but I suspect it is the reason.

Unless you have a seahorse/stingray tank that's cool for them, I wouldn't bother doing anything about it. If you brought him back to the store he'd be put in another 78 degree tank anyways. Just let him go on doing his thing.

The snails that climb out of the water are intertidal animals and do that by it's nature.
Actually the rocks they climb on are very hot because of the sun on them.
I wouldn't think that tropical organisms would be kept in 65-70K.

I still don't think that temperature has much to do with the problem. Unless the changes happen in a very short period of time. That would be considered a shock.

Interesting discussion...

Grandis.

I don't think most saltwater snails have a place to climb up out of the water though. There are few areas around the oceans that do overall. Most reef areas have no rocks above the water, at least I think.

LOL the snails you are talking about have a place to climb, for sure.:thumbsup:

I would like to go back to the subject, if possible.

Grandis.

I have read a few times on here and other sites that say they don't do good when the temp is 80 and up.

Well, seems like many people say that.
I really would like to know if that's the case.
I would like to know if anyone has any article or thread for me to read, please.

Would the sign of being "frozen" and fall on their backs really be because of the temp of the water?

It would be nice to have someone with success keeping them and lets know in what temp they are thriving.

Thanks,
Grandis.

Back