UCSB Santa Barbara NSW Natural Sea Water...

OK, I've been up there twice now to get water. No issues at all. Just bring a hose. I'm not sure about leaving one as there is no place to hang it and make it look good.

I did a 250G water change first go round and about 100G the second go round. Tank and corals are actually looking better. Going to do about a 200G water change this weekend.

I'm going to be heading up there later this morning since i'm visiting my sister in-law and brother in-law. I think I'll be only grabbing about 20 gallons to give it a try first. If it works out I'll be bring a van on my next visit ;)

Let's all just make sure we don't leave any trash or cigarette butts laying around. Maybe look around and pick up any trash that might be around so that we can continue to get water without any problems.

Let's all just make sure we don't leave any trash or cigarette butts laying around. Maybe look around and pick up any trash that might be around so that we can continue to get water without any problems.

:thumbsup: didn't see any when I went this morning but a good note for everyone.

I haven't seen any the two times I was there either. With the way it is set up this time, I don't think it will get as trashed as the other place did.

As for growth and such, since I've changed back to NSW, my corals seem to look better. My toadstool is open more and showing color again. I've changed out about 450G of water now in 3 water changes on a 500G system volume.

Was planning on heading out with 5- 65 gallon barrels to fill. Have to get that much to make it worth while. Was wondering though... Will I need to keep the water circulating until I use it?

I don't personally use it, but I believe that because it is natural sea water containing organics, you would need to keep it circulated until its used.. I'd also assume that you should probably keep it out of sunlight to prevent further die off / algae growth. Maybe someone else that actually uses it can chime in.

I keep mine in a 300G container, no circulation, sitting outside, in a semi clear container. I do about 50G a week W/C. There is a little growth but not much. When I add the water to my system, I put it in my overflow so that it goes thru my skimmer befor I pump it into the main tank.

As for the watre itself, It's filtered at UCSb before you get it, just about all of the "extras" are removed from it. Then it's stored in a 200K G underground holding tank. I've seen inside that tank, no growth at all in there. But they do use a lot of water so it probably dosen't sit in there for more than a week.

If you are worried about it, you can cicurlate it for an hour before you use it.

Just went and got some water for the first time Sunday. Had 5 x 55gallon barrels & 2 x 30gallon barrels in the back of my silverado 1500, but due to the weight I stopped filling at 4.5 x 55 gallon barrels. It took 30 minutes to fill them. So I now have almost 250 gallons and it cost about $40 in gas maybe. Definitely cheaper than buying a $60 box of salt that only makes 150 gallons @ 1.025 salinity. Going to do my first water change with it today :)

Just tested the water I got:
Salinity - 1.024
Calcium- 380
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - .01
dKH - 8

I thought ocean water was suppose to be closer to 1.026 salinity? And the calcium is lower than I expected too

Just tested the water I got:
Salinity - 1.024
Calcium- 380
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - .01
dKH - 8

I thought ocean water was suppose to be closer to 1.026 salinity? And the calcium is lower than I expected too

How are you measuring salinity ?

It measures 1.026 on my Milwaukee refractometer.

Red Sea Pro kit gives me CA 390, Alk 7 and MG 1290.

Hanna phosphate = 0

Those numbers are from today. I've been using it for over 20 years and it's always been the same but I still test.

what kind of corals have you been growing in it for over 20 years?

Anything and everything. I prefer SPS and LPS, a few softies.

I pick up water and then match it to tank parameters before using. I bump Alk up to 8-8.2, CA to 450, MG to 1390.

Water changes automated by Apex once parameters are good.

GHL Profilux doser keeps everything stable and corals grow just fine.

Oh. I had been thinking about ordering a refractometer, but I thought I had read the hydrometer were more reliable? Guess not. Does that mean my 1.0255 mixed water was more like 1.028?!

ive been using the water 6 or so months with no issues. polyp extension is great and growth i would say is good. i live 3 or so mins from UCSB and its free so cant beat that.

Back