UCSB Santa Barbara NSW Natural Sea Water...

A big bucket and a built pink truck. ;)

I've got a approx 300g water container, the big ones you see in the steel cages, except mines not in a cage. Before I got it, I used 6 55G rubermaid trash cans. Just put a trash bag in it and tie it off to help keep the water from sloshing out.

I've got aChevy 1500 that I used lift springs instead of lift block when I built it. Also it has 37" tires which can handle more weight. And yes, it is pink, Candy Magenta to be correct. I built it for the boss, I mean wife. ;)

How do you get that off the truck though?! I used 5 55gallon barrels and at over 400lbs each they were a challenge getting out of my silverado

I pump the water into my 55 G trashcans. Then move the tank to where I keep it and pump the water back in for storage. Ain't no way I could pull that tank out full, even with a forklift, it would probably bust.

Went and got water Sunday morning and actually figured out what it cost me.

51 miles from my door to the spigot. 102 miles round trip.
Gas was 3.90 a gal when I filled up.
truck computer shows 15 MPG average over the 85K miles we've driven it. I've never reset it.
Tank hold almost 300g of water.
I got up at 6am and was home by 8am. Then it took about 2 hours to drain and clean the tank and refill it. I used about 150G of water. Normally I just transfer the water into trashcans and then back into the holding tank and that takes about 1 1/2 hours.

So 102 miles / 15 MPG = 6.8 gal * $3.90 per gal = $26.52

300 gal of NSW / $26.52 in gas = .11 per gal for good NSW.

You can't make ASW for that price. a 200lb box of IO cost 17.5 cents per gal just for the salt. Then you have the cost of making RO water, including the filters and the gas to go get the salt.

Dosen't matter if your using NSW or ASW, your still going to add in addatives to it such as calc, mag, etc.

This is pretty neat! I'm only about 15 minutes away and this sounds like something worth checking out. I've only got a 10 gallon tank though!

It sounds like the thing to do is to pick up their water and raise calc/alk/etc. with additives? And no one has experienced any problems with potential parasites, diseases, or chemicals introduced by using the water?

Went by Monday and the sign for saltwater above the faucet is gone. I know they are doing some construction in that building . Anyone know if the free water will be affected.

I think the sign has been gone for a while. Didn't notice it when I was there a few weeks ago. The construction is inside and shouldn't bother the hose. Or at least I hope not. Been too long waiting for them to get it available again, like a year past the posted time.

I was working out There today that's where I work out on the campus and didn't have time to check out for the hoses but what I can do is try to get ahold of one of the main head guys that's in charge of the campus and find out what's happening ....

I was working out There today that's where I work out on the campus and didn't have time to check out for the hoses but what I can do is try to get ahold of one of the main head guys that's in charge of the campus and find out what's happening ....

Or you can spend like $7 and get your own hose. I carry my own.

They haven't provided one in a long time because they get stolen. That's probably what happened to the sign.

The water's just fine. Nothing's changed.

In the old days, there was a hose and a hanger by the spigot when it was on the other side of the road. I left a good hose there that stayed for a long time until the tore the building down.

Since there is no hanger for a hose, I guess they take whatever is left on the ground. So I always bring my own hose. I've let others use it when I'm there if they don't have a hose.

Have u been there lately??
Or you can spend like $7 and get your own hose. I carry my own.

They haven't provided one in a long time because they get stolen. That's probably what happened to the sign.

The water's just fine. Nothing's changed.

I have talked to Scott, the keeper of the filtration system, some years ago about this. he said they had a 3" line years ago but someone was bringing in a large tanker truck and filling it up, then selling the water to others. On top of that, there were a few times the water was left on. This put their test experiments in jeopardy. So they shut down the big hose and went to a garden hose connection.

I can only assume that when they tore down the building and put in the new one along with moving the hose to it's current location, they left it as a garden hose for the same reasons.

As far as how much can you take, take what you need for your personal use. Don't abuse the system or we may all loose access to it. I have a 300g container that I fill up and have had no issues with them. But I have a 500 G system and use all of the water I get.

If your going to get a large amount like I do, be courteous to others. I've stopped my filling several times to let others get a quick 5 or 10 G of water.

As far as how much can you take, take what you need for your personal use. Don't abuse the system or we may all loose access to it.

Yes, reasonable consumption will protect the resource.

Fortunately the luddites that used to resell it have moved south where they drop a hose into a harbor and can fill their truck faster. I personally wouldn't want that water. :hmm2:

Back