UCSB Santa Barbara NSW Natural Sea Water...

Went and got a bucket of water this morning, about 300 G. Got there about 9, there was some caution tape up at the front of the road on either side but not on the back part. So I just went ahead and drove back and started filling up. I saw a few cops go by while I was filling up.

Got done about 930 and as I was packing up, one of the cops pulled back in the area. She turned around and went and parked out by the road for a bit. I didn't think much of it. After a bit, she started walking back towards my truck. Still didn't think much. As I started getting in the truck, she asked me what I was doing. I explained about the water. She asked for ID and I obliged as I had nothing to hide. At first, she thought I was stealing water due to the drought. I again explained about the salt water, where it comes from, how it's filtered and that I had been coming there for over 10 years getting the water.

She said she had never heard about the water nor ever seen anyone back there getting any. I said I was surprised as there are a lot of people that know about it. I even showed her this thread. She asked who said it was OK and I told her I had talked to Scott, who is in charge of the REEF project. That it has been open to the public for years.

Next thing I know, she's asking me if I have a gun as their files say I have one registered to me. I said no, I sold that gun about 10 years ago. About that time, a second car shows up and another cop gets out, I guess being the bad guy, and just stands there staring at me like he's mister cool. I tried to strike up a conversation to ease things. Finally he mellowed out. They said they were waiting on the supervisor to show up as they knew nothing about the water. I said there was a sign there last time I was there but apparently some one took it down.

After about 20 min, the supervisor shows up, again trying to look like some bad *** with his vest and not saying anything. Guess I was a armed and dangerous criminal steeling salt water from the ocean. He walked around the truck, looking at it closely along with the unmarked spigot. Never said much.

After another 5 min, the first office said they got ahold of someone on the campus that verified that the water was open to the public and I was OK to take what I needed. She said that she would send an Email to all of the officers on the campus force so that we shouldn't have any issues in the future.

So I guess I took one for the team. All it took was about 30 min of my time for them to get things unscrewed. I had top explain it to them several times. Good thing I've been there a lot and know the history of the water, where it comes from and that it was on the other side of the street before they built the new building there.

So hopefully no one else will have any issues getting water. If you do, show them this thread and this post. Hopefully they won't think you a dangerous criminal like me.

Wow, that sucks but I'm glad it all worked out. Had me nervous for a minute, I'm planning on making a trip out there next weekend

Yes, our campus security is very vigilant these days and for good reason. So no, that doesn't 'suck', it's a good thing.

A weapons check is standard. It had nothing to do with what they thought you might be doing.

After the light rain today it's always a good idea to wait a few days before you draw ocean from the tap. Agricultural runoff can affect local water quality.

I can understand being vigilant, but they went a bit overboard. Or were just bored on a Saturday morning. :wave:

I mean, accusing me of stealing fresh water because of the drought? And then stating they have never seen anyone get water from there? If they truly have not, then they haven't been very vigilant in keeping the place secure.

I understand that they were doing their job. But I've run into a lot of people when I go and get water. Plus in the 10+ years I've been getting water, this is the first time anyone has asked me what I was doing.

maybe it was being an old gray haired man driving a big pink truck that made me look suspicious. :spin2:

Hopefully no one else will have any issues.

I am about to go back up there this weekend to get water and it was a good thing I check this thread to see if anything new was going on with the construction.

Thank you Crusty for taking one for the team. I think I would have had a hard time explaining it clearly to an extent with the campus police.

Good thing you didn't have any warrants!
Just people doing their jobs.
You have to admit an old man in a pink truck filling up large tanks of water out of a faucet does look out of place.
Thanks for updating this thread I have a large system that I need to fill for the first time and this will save me some big $ in salt mix and RO water/ filters.

Thanks, Crusty.

Thanks, Crusty.

As a fellow reefer who picked up water there just a couple of weeks ago, I appreciate your taking the time to educate the local law enforcement about our hobby and making it easier for the rest of us to pick up NSW in the future.

As a retired law enforcement supervisor, I appreciate your sharing of how a police contact can best be handled when interviewed by suspicious officers.

As for their probable cause to investigate, I live in a town where it is the norm to put locks on our spigots. I have friends who have had to pay outrageous water penalty fees because men with water trucks stole from their home spigots while they were away from their residence.

Btw, I always bring a copy of this thread with the contact info you've gathered anytime I pick up water at UCSB. Thanks again for that. I'll update it in the event new officers join their agency and see me filling up my water tote.

Thanks for your service in law enforcement. I have the utmost respect for most LEO's. My wife's uncle is a retired LEO in Northern Calif. Being retired military and having did a stint in law enforcement while in the Navy, it is not a career path I would choose, but one I do regard right up there with our fellow military service members.

I had no issues with the officers other than the attitude of her back up and supervisor when they showed up. I guess with the recent shooting in that area, they are still a bit "gun shy" if you will. It also goes to show how out dated their information is. The 9mm they said was registered to me I had sold over 10 years ago, going to the local gun shop and filing the required paperwork to transfer ownership.

I was up there on Friday morning and had no issues. Only saw some of the students riding their bikes to class as I filled up.

A friend just told me about the recent oil spill that happened. I really wonder how this will affect our trip to pick up water. Anyone know how can we get some insight on this?

I'm located in SB and I would highly recommend you wait. They've expanded the no fishing zone to a 12 mile radius of the spill. That definitely covers the area where the water intake is located. The beaches are all closed in that area and there is considerable marine life, lobsters and other bottom dwelling animals, that are washing up dead.

So far oil retrieval is by surface pumping but at any time they may begin using dispersants if deemed necessary.

It will likely be a week or more before things change.

Thanks Reefvet for the information. I know it might take a while before we can see some improvement but it really sucks to hear this happening. Hopefully no one is hurting for a water run for the next month.

Do keep us posted if you hear more. :)

Do keep us posted if you hear more. :)

Will do.

The L.A. Times has a pretty extensive photo essay. Here's one of their photos that pretty much says it all.

The sea life at the bottom is dying. Not a time to collect water for your reef tank.

Attachments

• la-me-santa-barbara-county-beach-oil-photos-20-019.jpg
    la-me-santa-barbara-county-beach-oil-photos-20-019.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
A friend and I have both done water changes in the last 24 hours and the UCSB water is fine.

Thank the currents that took the oil out to sea and never pushed it past Coal Oil Point reserve. That's about a mile away from the water intake for UCSB.

Back