Unofficial VORTECH is READY thread

OK, setting up my WMX and here is where I hit a snag.

Downloaded and updated the 4.03 firmware, no problem.

I am on page 4 of the WXM instructions where is says to upgrade the firmware on the MP40w to ver 3.1.

The instructions say to "Use the Setup> Module Setup> Config Module Menu. Select WXM and then do a WWD Update"

My Module setup after the firmware update has WMX in a drop down box and "update firmware", but nothing about a "WWD Update". I did the firmware upgrade for the WMX, but it does not appear to be communicating with the MP40w. The greeen "wireless status" light is on.

On the MP40w, I held down the mode and setup keys while powering on, but instead of red/white like the instructions say, I get red/blue. I press the set key like step C indicates, but no blinking blue light appears.

Anyone install their WMX yet on a MP40w and figure out the firmware download to the MP40w.

I had the same problem. First off, you need to do the update from the display, not the web page. Follow the instruction from the display and you'll see the menu items as described. However, after it uploaded the firmware (using manual update) to the Vortech, powering it on as described and holding the buttons also did not yield the red/white lights. I had to go back into the firmware update on the display, and choose automatic update instead of manual. It then upgraded the firmware of the vortech (which is obvious cause it started blinking like a christmas tree)

OK, setting up my WMX and here is where I hit a snag.

Downloaded and updated the 4.03 firmware, no problem.

I am on page 4 of the WXM instructions where is says to upgrade the firmware on the MP40w to ver 3.1.

The instructions say to "Use the Setup> Module Setup> Config Module Menu. Select WXM and then do a WWD Update"

My Module setup after the firmware update has WMX in a drop down box and "update firmware", but nothing about a "WWD Update". I did the firmware upgrade for the WMX, but it does not appear to be communicating with the MP40w. The greeen "wireless status" light is on.

On the MP40w, I held down the mode and setup keys while powering on, but instead of red/white like the instructions say, I get red/blue. I press the set key like step C indicates, but no blinking blue light appears.

Anyone install their WMX yet on a MP40w and figure out the firmware download to the MP40w.

SUCCESS!

After configuring MP40w from the DISPLAY and not the WEB BROWSER, it worked the first time and everything is running great.

My Apex and WXM are in the basement about 20 ft from the display and the MP40 which is upstairs. The signal is immediate when I change the settings. I am using an iPad to control the Apex standing in front of the tank.

I setup several profiles as outlined in the instructions and everything is working great. Nice to have a night and feed mode without touching the Vortech buttons.

This is a great enhancement to the Apex and now I am off to get another MP40w. You can get these pretty cheap right now since the ES came out and I can see why I need the ES when I have all the controls available through profiles. I also have a MP10 on my frag tank that I believe I will get the wireless upgrade to control it from the Apex as well.

Thanks Neptune (and Curt for helping me figure this out via e-mail)

Milkman, youre going to have to explain how to do it. I tried doing this yesterday at home and this morning before i left to work without success.

How many feet apart would you say you have to have the drivers from the module? Do you only do one pump at a time or something? I have 2 MP40W ES vortechs and one MP10W ES pump as well

Milkman, youre going to have to explain how to do it. I tried doing this yesterday at home and this morning before i left to work without success.

How many feet apart would you say you have to have the drivers from the module? Do you only do one pump at a time or something? I have 2 MP40W ES vortechs and one MP10W ES pump as well

Just follow the instructions, but do it via the display rather than the web interface. Choose ecosmart update (not the manual one) and your vortech should start blinking. Done.

Can someone think of how to slow down the vortech during feed (like 10% constant), then after feed is complete run Nutrient transport for 20 minutes, then resume normal programming?

I've got:

Fallback ON
Set OFF
If Time 11:00 to 23:00 Then Reef_C_D
If Time 23:01 to 10:59 Then Lagoon_N
If FeedA 000 Then Slow

But how to make it do Nutrient for 20 minutes before resuming the time based scheduling?

Can someone think of how to slow down the vortech during feed (like 10% constant), then after feed is complete run Nutrient transport for 20 minutes, then resume normal programming?

I've got:

Fallback ON
Set OFF
If FeedA 000 Then Slow

But how to make it do Nutrient for 20 minutes before resuming the time based scheduling?

Why not make some virtual outlets?

I've got:

Fallback ON
Set OFF
If FeedA 000 Then Slow

I created a Profile called FEED and set the speed at 10%, then replace "Slow" with FEED. Not sure what the pump settings are for nutrient export because I don't have the ES, but I bet it can be replicated.

I created a Profile called FEED and set the speed at 10%, then replace "Slow" with FEED. Not sure what the pump settings are for nutrient export because I don't have the ES, but I bet it can be replicated.

My problem isn't setting a mode during FEED, it's that after feed terminates I want it to run a different mode for 20 minutes before resuming whatever mode is dictated by the time of day.

First thing is to get the Apex firmware updated to 4.03 and then go to the rest of the directions that came with the WXM. Only thing that threw me off was the middle of page 4 where it switches to updating the Vortech and is not clear (as in bold print) that all the Vortech operations have to be done from the display and not the web.

For downloading the Vortech firmware, I moved my MP 40w downstairs to within the recommended two feet of the WXM in order to do the update. Once I knew it worked, I moved the MP40w back upstairs and the WXM had no problem reaching the 20 or so feet through one floor and a wall.

Just make sure each step completes successfully before you go to the next.

Sorry Ycore, that is beyond my programming 101. Hopefully Ken or someone with more knowledge will jump in.

One thing that should work is program FeedB to run the nutrient export and after FeedA completes, start FeedB and start the export for the designated time and then go back to the timers.

Last edited:
I'm running the latest 4.03.
I just plugged my WXM in and I'm getting an error on Firmware Update Step 1 - Upgrading my WWD pump.

Following step 1 on the display, when I click on the 'WWD Update' it displays this:

WWD Update
Update Error: 0

I've tried multiple times, but get the same error.

Any thoughts?

I'm running the latest 4.03.
I just plugged my WXM in and I'm getting an error on Firmware Update Step 1 - Upgrading my WWD pump.

Following step 1 on the display, when I click on the 'WWD Update' it displays this:

WWD Update
Update Error: 0

I've tried multiple times, but get the same error.

Any thoughts?

I was getting the same thing for a while. Try updating all firmware including the WXM to the latest beta. After that, unplug the WXM module for 10 seconds, plug it back in. Make sure the LED lights on the WXM module are solid green before beginning the update.

Put one of the drivers close to the WXM module and follow the instructions for the WWD pump... i setup > module setup > config module and the select WWD Update

after it has done this, it should say that it was updated and to begin the pump upgrade.. you then follow the instructions of removing power to the driver, and hold set and mode buttons and then at the same time plug the power back in... i really dont know what the colors should look like on the non ecosmart drivers

but make sure you dont exit out of the screen on the apex if you havent updated each WWD pump's firmware

I was getting the same thing for a while. Try updating all firmware including the WXM to the latest beta. After that, unplug the WXM module for 10 seconds, plug it back in. Make sure the LED lights on the WXM module are solid green before beginning the update.

I have updated to the latest overall firmware.
When I look at the module list, thay all report OK.

Specifically the WXM:

SWRev 004(OK)

Then below that is RF info:
Rev1.1, RF Rev 1.2 (1,0,0,0)

Is this what is listed in your module section?

PS. I also, have a solid green light on the RF indicator.

I have updated to the latest overall firmware.
When I look at the module list, thay all report OK.

Specifically the WXM:

SWRev 004(OK)

Then below that is RF info:
Rev1.1, RF Rev 1.2 (1,0,0,0)

Is this what is listed in your module section?

PS. I also, have a solid green light on the RF indicator.

I have this: Rev 1.1, RF Rev 1.2 (1,3,7,7) Not sure if its because ive updated the pumps yet

WXM module 001 004(OK) 009 WXM_9 im getting this from the webpage

Back