Was just gifted 3 lyre tail anthias...now what?

Easiest of all the Anthias IMO. And the three times a day feeding doesn't apply for these guys. I feed mine in the am and evening just like a normal fish if that. Have had mine a couple years, long enough to watch the male turn. Some of the coolest fish, great score!

Unless you can re-home them in the next 24 hours (or less), you will definitely need to separate the male from the females. In such a small QT tank, the male is likely to kill the others in very short order.

Agreed with have 5 (now 4?!?!) with 5 (now 4?!?!) Huchtii's and we only feed am and pm.

Absolutely beautiful fish. If you decide not to keep them you could always ship them to someone for the cost of the packaging and shipping. Just a thought.

Post a pic!

I will tonight. They are beautiful. You can tell most of the other guys in the tank are pretty put off by them being there. Lol they look so out of place.

The male hides a lot, but the females are all out and about.

They seem to be eating flake food. So I've been feeding flake food in the am and my frozen mish mash at night. I'm going to try pellets to see if they will eat them later.

I'm tempted to reinforce my stand and buy a 120g...

It would be about my luck I would do all that and they would die of old age as soon as I was done.

What a nice score, hope you can work out keeping them.
I love lyretails, and yeah, pretty easy to keep as anthia go.

You know....the more I look at these the more I think he is mistaken.

I don't think the smaller ones are actually lyretails at all. The big male definitely is, but all the female lyretail pics I've seen look nothing like the ones I have.

I'm starting to think they are Carberryi.

I think you are right on the females.
So this is what decides you toying w/ the 20 year old cherry stand from your other post?
If so I would totally do the 120g upgrade(What I have, such a nice footprint and plenty for those and other anthia)

I think you are right on the females.
So this is what decides you toying w/ the 20 year old cherry stand from your other post?
If so I would totally do the 120g upgrade(What I have, such a nice footprint and plenty for those and other anthia)

Yep that's what's making me think about upgrading.

It really breaks my heart to alter that stand, but I think it would hurt more if I bought a new one and that one sat and collected dust.

Also, another idea would be to just buy a 120 stand, buy another return pump and then put the 55g somewhere else and keep it plumbed into the system for a fish only tank. Maybe put an eel in it or something. After all it's already drilled and everything.

Decisions decisions.

Any ideas what species those other ones are? They are not lyretails I'm convinced.

They don't really look too out of size for your tank to me until they get next to your Clowns. They kind of dwarf the Clowns.

They are awesome though.

They don't really look too out of size for your tank to me until they get next to your Clowns. They kind of dwarf the Clowns.

They are awesome though.

Lol I know. That Osci clown ain't tiny neither. About 1.5" maybe 2.

The big male dwarfs the females.

I'm convinced now that I have one male lyretail and two female thread fins.

I assume one of the threads will turn male? Will there be a huge war when it does?

It's hard to say what will happen, if that other person had them for a long time it is possible that male kept them in check and they did not turn, and hopefully won't.
I'm not an anthias ID expert, check fish forum and if you see Peter/sdguy he really knows anthias, but from those pics I would guess either carbs or possibly dispars.
I've had a mix of all 3 of those species and they all get along just fine from my exp.

Back