Wave2k's are here!

Web site is pretty thin on information....Can someone tell me how this would attach to a glass tank, specifically a 120 if it matters. I heard something about drilling acrylic. Does it just hang on?

Thanks,
Mike

SciGuy2 In my opinion it wouldnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t be close to laminar flow in theory. The only way I can see it producing close to a laminar flow is by having enough volume in the unit compared to the tanks volume. If the volume of the unit were small compared to the tank volume you would get nothing more than turbulent flow.

Ernie~
Thanks for the movie.

sedgro~

Is it possible to get another one with shots of the whole tank?

Nice tank BTW

Wow, I'm impressed with these units. I actually think they're going to live up to what they claim.

Although they are quite a bit of money, I don't see what everyone is balking at, epecially compared to setting up a closed loop with a pump and two seaswirls. IMO, I think these produce a more natural flow and provide less to worry about (plumbing, drilling, etc.)

Cant download video!

Cant download video!

Not Found
The requested URL /images/wave2k.mov was not found on this server.

Can you re post it.. Thanx.

Right-click it and select Save target As... otherwise it will try to open it in your browser, which doesn't work so well since the movie is QuickTime (Apple) and your browser is probably IE (Microsoft) and as we all know how much Gates and Case like each other...

Ernie

Sorry everyone, but I had to kill the link on the particular server I was using (the web page the server was supposed to be used for was never available due to too much traffic). I have a new server I can use and will be postinf the movie there shortly as well as another of the whole tank.

As far as my impressions after one week: the units seem relatively reliable. I have had a few problems with the drive belts slipping as they stretch out and needed to adjust the tension on the motors. There was some discussion of laminar versus turbulent flow. The flow seems entirely laminar too me - just in short 3 second bursts at each end (the entire cycle is six seconds). The units give good flow, however, I am glad a use a 1" Sea Swirl to provide a periodic stronger flow. The wave2ks are just not strong enough to penetrate the entire tank.

More pictures soon.

John

sedgro said:
The units give good flow, however, I am glad a use a 1" Sea Swirl to provide a periodic stronger flow. The wave2ks are just not strong enough to penetrate the entire tank.
John

I hate to say it, but in light of the adjustment you've had to make and that you say that you're glad you have the sea-swirl to give "periodic stronger flow," I'm a little disappointed.

For the $$$, why not just go with 2 sea-swirls and a spraybar behind the rock-wall, to ensure stronger flow?

btw- I believe that the wave2k would produce laminar flow... probably look turbulent in the video because of all the rocks/creatures in the way...

Hi Sedgro,
how is the unit on top of the water?Does it create any splashing?
Does the pushing of the water out of the returns get close to overflowing the front glass?
The reason I ask most tanks have water running up to 3/4 " of the end of the glass,am sacared the rush will create overflow?
Are you able to throttle the flow or are these units non-adjustable.

thanks
Dan

Russ-

I am not dissappointed at all in the wave2k... yes I am glad I have supplemental flow but the flow provided by the wave2k is totally different than anything a sea swirl could provide. The wave2k almost "rocks" the water back and forth. I am going to sound like a Marc Weiss bottle but the polyp expansion I have seen since starting my wave2ks is more dramatic than with anything else I have used. Granted this could be from my new large tank with a 100% water change but I am inclined to believe in the wave2ks. Also, in the process of setting up my tank I fried my sea swirl motor so the only turning it has been doing in the last few days is by hand (new motor on the way). I will have more video up tomorrow showing the top of the units and the rest of my tank.

djbh-

My water is ~1cm from the top of my acrylic tank. The top outflow of the unit is far enough below the surface of the water that I only get small surface eddies. 3/4" should be sufficient.

sedgro

Back