Weird Ozone Problem

There are various calibration solutions available for ORP meters, although they are rather unpredictable.

Don't trust that stuff myself. So I mix it fresh every time. Good to the exact mV by temp and pH.

http://www.amazon.com/Sensorex-B125-Piece-Calibration-Solution/dp/B006WC16DU

I agree that something other than ORP would be a better choice for detecting ozone output. Ozone does have a distinctive odor, although it can damage all the various mucous membranes, so I'd be careful with it.

I just use the ol' olfactory. But short of that you could use KI. Potassium Iodide, or nuclear radiation doomsday pills. Crush one between two spoons, mix that in a ounce of water. Wet a paper towel in it. Ozone will turn it brown instantly. I use it to look for leaks by wrapping the paper towel around fittings.

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Plus-...=sr_1_14?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1384791229&sr=1-14

--John

hey, neat calibration kit. Might have to pick up one of those.

Well, just to make things easy, and since this is not a crucial part of my system, I talked to Ozotech today and we both agreed it would be best to just send it in since it's under warranty. So I'll ship it out tomorrow Priority Mail and then report back once I hear something.

I did check the skimmer line and everything seems to be clear.
Plus the venturi is self cleaning so it really shouldn't be prone to clogging anyway.
Just pulling the hose off the output of the ozotech, you can hear the skimmer sucking.

A jar or pack of 400mV of the shelf? How can I trust that? Make it fresh and I can believe it.:bounce1:

That ORP check/calibration kit seems expensive, they list it as 30 calibrations. But that's like the minimum you would get out of the pH solutions. That 20 gram bottle of quinhydrone will last literally forever. I do about 10-14 (read as 20-28) cals a month, a three year old bottle barely looks like I have used any. You just buy any kind of pH4 and 7 for refills.

A note is... you end up with 86 and 264 mV solutions around 80f temp. Calibration if you can use those numbers to adjust what your controllers reading. If you can do a one point cal I would naturally use the 264mV, and use the 86 as a check point. At work on big aquariums I do a two point slope calibration with those numbers. And it changes what the probe reads outside of that range. Some probes run 800-900 mV close to ozone contact. But literal accuracy matter less up there. Like 50mV matters anyway. We look for the trend.

--John

UPDATE:

Just got an email from Ozotech.
Looks like they repaired the generator!
"Poseidon Frequency Driver,9KHZ Mini,12v"

Hopefully its on its way back to me soon.

I have no idea what that is, but as long as I see anything like "part replaced" I know I wasn't going crazy all this time! :lol2:

Back