What's This 'Drip Cup' I read about?

leebca

Premium Member
I've read in some other threads about needing a do-it-yourself (diy) drip cup for the AquaController 3 Pro.

What is it? Why is it needed? What does it do? Where is it to be located? How does one make it? Are there any photos, or diagrams of one?

Thanks.

Lee, if you have a conductivity probe, and because this works off of current ( short story) you need it isolated from any stray voltage that might be in the tank. All it is is a plastic cup of sorts, can be anything, hang on your sump, and run tank water into it so it overflows into the sump. Then you put your conductivity probe in this, and it keep it isolated from the tank water. Just be sure take there isn't any salt build up, or water running down the side of the sump, ( the cup must drip free ) so as not to set up a voltage trail back to the cup.

So the 'cup' is an area (more or less) isolated electrically from the system, yet measuring conductivity of the water.

Then, does water have to drip into as well as out of the cup, to prevent the current, or is just one end needed to break the circuit?

Thanks for your help Member No. 1

:D

Lee, as long as it's not a steady stream, it should work. A very fast drip should be ok. Salt water is a very good conductor. And that's what a conductivity probe does basically, measures the salt level. More salt, more conductivity.
Remember as a kid, and the other kids daring you to pee on the electric fence? Did you? Would you? Same thing, just we're big kids now!

What is the purpose of monitoring conductivity, to detect stray voltage ? If so, why would you want to the probe Isolated? Or are you using this to measure salinity of the water?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

There are two purposes for conductivity for a reef tank. In low range you can measure the purity of your RO/DI water. You can determine when your DI or RO filter has lost it capacity remove impurities.
Conductivity is basically measuring how easy an electrical current can flow through the water. Impurities (ions) make increase the conductivity and allow electricity flow more easily.
In high range you can measure the conductivity of salt water. There is a one to one correlation between salinity/specific gravity and conductivity. If you know the conductivity, then you know the salinity. Take a look at the appendix in the AquaController manual to see the conversion table between salinity and conductivity.

Curt

What if you grounded the whole tank with a titanium whisker attached to a ground pipe? I used to have one a while back, don't know if anyone still uses them. I wonder if this would help the conductivity probe so you would not need the drip cup or hinder it? Anyone know?

Back