Worm ID - Please tell me it's not a bobbitt worm

MusicTeach

This may constitute an emergency on my part - looking to ID this potential predatory worm. It was picking off the shell (aggressively picking) of the snail there, and it has a fairly long and round body, with lots of little legs, and those tentacle things by its mouth.

Also, if Bobbitt, suggestions on removal? Is this a freshwater dip thing? (and if so, what does that look like? A container with half RO/DI and half salt mix... would that do the trick?)

Thanks RC community, looking forward to your help.

Attachments

• P1030148 (2).jpg
    P1030148 (2).jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1030161 (2).jpg
    P1030161 (2).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 0
Also, for what its worth, the thing moves at lighting speed back into its hiding hole. Tank is a little over three weeks old.

Bobbitt worm, as for removal depends where he's holed up. If he's in a piece of LR that's easily removed just remove that piece. If in the sand bed which is more likely not sure if the typical bottle trap would work. I've seen videos on YouTube of people using a type of trap but that was on much much larger worms.

Well... he was in the rock.... what are the odds that he just moved while I posted the post about him? Hmmm, so, what are the traps that you are recommending?

You'll have to take that rock out and root him out.

Edit: try to see where he pops out at night. Easier said than done, since they are sensitive to light. That may give you some sense of where he is hiding.

There pretty smart little critters and usually won't fully leave there hole which makes bottle traps difficult. Trying to get close enough to pull it out is also difficult because as soon as you get close to it the worm will retreat for safety. Fastest and easiest way will be to remove the rock and treat it or just let it sit out to dry for a few days.

If you know where it is, I would try to use a fishing line and small fish hook. Put a small frozen shrimp onto it. As it is eating it, try to pull the line to hook it. You would probably need use multiple hooks or better use a squid/octopus hook. Once you hook it, pull and prevent it from going in. But don't try to pull it out with it. It will probably rip and won't come. Use a pair of forceps to slowly pull it out while maintaining the pull on the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the responses! Is the worm going to stay in its hidey hole, or is it going to go to the sand bed?

They seem to do both, I think it may depend on the size of the worm itself or maybe just preference. Either way if you can confirm that he's still in that rock I would remove it and let it site for a few days. They can get to monstrous size and eat fish or whatever else they can get ahold of. Seems as some people will actually pay for them so who knows might be worth something too.

I should clarify, the rock has some great feather dusters and porcelain crabs on it as well :/ I'd rather save the rock if possible. Squirtijg something like aptasia x or cementing it's hole?

You could place it in the sump but keep in mind as that worm grows those crabs will disappear and become a meal. Not sure how big they get in an aquarium but in the wild some specimens have been found up to around 25ft long. I think 3-4ft is more common in bigger tanks though. The worm will be deep in the rock so aptasiaX won't have much of and effect and the rock is very porous so he'll just find another way to surface. Ultimately the the choice is yours but unless your doing a species only tank the general consensus is to remove then any way you can.

It talks about flushing out the rock with soda water, and then, after that, replacing the rock in the aquarium. Is that carbonated water okay to go in the aquarium?

The little that remains after flushing will not be a problem at all..

Some people say get some red filter paper or red plastic, and use a flashlight in a pitch black room. They don't register the red light, and you'll be able to 'sneak up' on it.

So, what is the procedure for flushing? Hold rock, pour soda water down specific hole for 30 seconds, and watch all the baddies fall out? Then return to aquarium?

Back