10,000 gal pool reef. 38,000 liters

We got the electric utility approval yesterday
The city permit was just pending that approval so that should come in shortly
The HOA still hasn’t come back. The plan is to submit the permit and utility sign off to get them moving...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqHlDnL29TI

It's not a very good walkthrough but it's a start. I had to learn a lot about building pools - soil composition, drainage requirements, etc...

but at least the wife and I have found a solution that works to grow coral (hopefully) and still not destroy property values (also hopefully).

And now we can snorkel in the pool to get a closer look at the reef.

Last edited:
Marked it out - left side is the reef (8' x 16') and sump (8' x 8'). right side is the pool (24' 8" x 20').

thumbnail_IMG_0791_zpsflcsvcfq.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0795_zpst5ynhrg7.jpg

here's the layout of the sump and reef:

thumbnail_IMG_0790_zpstwwardsi.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0793_zpsewbmkkyc.jpg

here's just the reef from inside the sump... doesn't look "that" big

thumbnail_IMG_0792_zpssa6ljjdm.jpg

and the reef from inside the pool:

thumbnail_IMG_0801_zpsjvrvvqia.jpg

and here's the pool:

thumbnail_IMG_0794_zpsg6rrbyjz.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! The pool is a substantial cost component but they go together to maintain property values.

The pool grew again today by 6’ ... so the total now is 26’ x 36’

In order to stabilize the clay under the reef and pool, I’m adding helical piles under the slab. I’m also having to add channel drains to keep any salt water from leaching out into the soil...

Man I can't wait for this one!

By the way Karim, I'm the one who offered help any time, living in McKinney, they just merged my accounts (jmsilhy and PMatuk). So again, let me know when you need extra hands.

Thanks! I've gotten most of the subcontractors online, just waiting for HOA approval.

I added a third window from the Jacuzzi to the sump too to get some light in there.

I'm tempted to just take a shovel and start pulling up the sod but it would be a waste of effort right now.

Thanks! I've gotten most of the subcontractors online, just waiting for HOA approval.

I added a third window from the Jacuzzi to the sump too to get some light in there.

I'm tempted to just take a shovel and start pulling up the sod but it would be a waste of effort right now.

Coming along quickly!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, only about 4 years since the dream started and he has spray paint on the grass already

:lolspin:

Yup... life takes what it takes! I have been planning for a long time but we now have a permit from the city and all contractors lined up.

Just waiting on the HOA.

Had to make the pool side bigger and more interesting so the cost has gone up, but it'll be an interesting investment. :D

Just got HOA approval! So we’re doing this. HOA, city permit and wife approval secured!

Planning on excavation by Friday if all goes well!
Plumber coming in tomorrow to install the p-trap.
Electrician in on Friday to add the 100A sub panel.

Just got HOA approval! So we're doing this. HOA, city permit and wife approval secured!

Planning on excavation by Friday if all goes well!
Plumber coming in tomorrow to install the p-trap.
Electrician in on Friday to add the 100A sub panel.

Let's go!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back