240g tank w/fish room build

You have a lot of drilling to do. I still have a bit from when I drilled my 40b. What size bluk heads are you going to use? I only drilled 2 holes with the bit so it should get you a few more if you want it you can have it. 35mm for 3/4" bulkhead.

Thx i may take u up on that. I have a bit for 1/2, 3/4, and 1inch but i have drilled alot of tanks for people so i need to replace them. I plan on 2 one inch drains on each tank and a 3/4 inch return on each

Just ordered CARIBSEA FLORIDA CRUSHED CORAL, GEO-MARINE FORMULA 80 LB worth. This will be used in the all zoa and all ricordia, yuma, mushroom tank.

Also picked up some mirical mud for the fuge. I have used this many years ago

What light are you going to use for your zoa tank?

Well zoa tank is 48x24x12. I plan on having the zoa on the bottom like a carpet. I plan on 54x4 t5 with 1 coral plus, 1 blue plus, 2 pure actinic. Thats the plan any ways. I did have zoas looking the best with a 250w 14k Hamilton metal halide bulb, and a low watt led 455nm stip. Ran MH for 4 hrs per day. Thats when they looked the best

Stand is at my place now. After tanks r in place i will add the removable center braces. I have to rerought the electrical behind where the tank/ stand is. I thought i had it set but it turned out the rear braces are right where one of the electrical boxes i installed is :(

Ok I quickly hand did a sketch of the drainage plumbing. I haven't done the return line yet.

For each tank I will make a custom overflow box. It will house two 1 inch drains. A main and a backup. Both will go into a 2inch main drain going straight down for each set of 4 tanks. One set of 4 tanks will go into the sump on one side. The other set of 4 tanks will go straight into the reverse lite Fuge on the other side. The fuge will spill over back into the sumps return area.

The 2inch drain pipe with be PVC. The 1inch lines connecting to the main 2 inch pipe with be spa flex. They should be short runs under one foot in length. They will connect into the 2 inch drain slightly lower so the water is flowing down so gravity can do its thing. I plan on a cap with a hole drilled on top of the 2 inch drain pipe to allow air to escape and also quiet down the water movement.

Any help is always welcome.

Roger

20150705_193524_zpsml01hut9.jpg

Is this it's own setup from the main display so you can run a little dirtier then the main so the zoas and palys can thrive

Is this it's own setup from the main display so you can run a little dirtier then the main so the zoas and palys can thrive

Yes this system will only have sps in it so I can break down current systems. After I setup the new 240gal all sps will move to that. Yes this will not be attached to the main display system. For that exact reason. Flow lighting and nutrients can to controlled so the lps and softies can thrive.

Roger

I'm no pro compared to most of you guys but what has worked for me is the main drain to the sock and skimmer compartment then to the refugium and then the refugium through the bubble trap then to the main pump I had read that this could let the refugium pods travel to the main pump and into the main display instead of the skimmer getting them or a filter .....to help feed the corals and fish

I'm no pro compared to most of you guys but what has worked for me is the main drain to the sock and skimmer compartment then to the refugium and then the refugium through the bubble trap then to the main pump I had read that this could let the refugium pods travel to the main pump and into the main display instead of the skimmer getting them or a filter .....to help feed the corals and fish

That is how this will be. The fuge is a seperate tank that will drain into return area of tank and go straight to display tanks

Why not let the top tanks drain to bottom tanks and then from bottom tanks to sump? Then you would only need to have half the return lines.. Or send the return to the top left tank and have it flow to the top tanks to the right, when it gets to the last tank on right have it gravity feed to the tank under it and flow to the tanks to the left. Then from the last tank on left to the sump. One return ano one feed to sump.

Why not let the top tanks drain to bottom tanks and then from bottom tanks to sump? Then you would only need to have half the return lines.. Or send the return to the top left tank and have it flow to the top tanks to the right, when it gets to the last tank on right have it gravity feed to the tank under it and flow to the tanks to the left. Then from the last tank on left to the sump. One return ano one feed to sump.
That would work but if you want to slow the flow in one of those tanks it will slow the flow through the rest of them ....Hey Roger are you going to have powerheads for each tank or just the supply flow?

Thx for idea. I thought about doing something similar to that idea. The return lines will be simple with one 3/4 line going to each opposite side of the tank then the overflo box.

That would work but if you want to slow the flow in one of those tanks it will slow the flow through the rest of them ....Hey Roger are you going to have powerheads for each tank or just the supply flow?

Well we will c how the returns go bit i think i will end up needing 1 rw8 for each tank.

Roger

Ok. I got my return and drain plumbing planned out and on paper. I ordered all new diamond bits to drill the tanks as i have 27 holes to drill from 3/4 inch to 2inch size holes:(. Going to take a while. I also got my plan done for the overflo boxes i have to build. I will buld them out of some black acrylic i have.

I just ordered the bulkheads and screens. I called local but nobody had all of them in stock i needed. I ordered 16 one inch, eight 3/4 inch bulkheads, a 2inch bulkhead, and two 1.5 inch bulk heads. I hope i didnt miss anything else i needed that i cant get at my local supplier.

Back