240g tank w/fish room build

Looks like we r shooting for Saturday at 4 if that works for you guys lmk. If we can't get enough people we will shoot for sun instead. Thx for all the people stepping up to help. Love RC and TBRC!

Roger

My first flood in the new fish room. I'm spoiled I guess simple things u forget. I normally have a float switch attacked to apex for my skim mate container. I have installed my breakout box again yet since the move. I wanted to c the corals to I hit the feed on the power heads and return pump. Well the skimmer was still running so overflowed the skimm bucket all in the stand and on the floor all the way to the garage door. :(

Roger

My first flood in the new fish room. I'm spoiled I guess simple things u forget. I normally have a float switch attacked to apex for my skim mate container. I have installed my breakout box again yet since the move. I wanted to c the corals to I hit the feed on the power heads and return pump. Well the skimmer was still running so overflowed the skimm bucket all in the stand and on the floor all the way to the garage door. :(

Roger

No good Roger! You know I was just there. I'm planning to be over Saturday so I would really like to see how you have that Apex hooked up. Good luck on the cleanup and thank goodness it wasn't in the house.

No good Roger! You know I was just there. I'm planning to be over Saturday so I would really like to see how you have that Apex hooked up. Good luck on the cleanup and thank goodness it wasn't in the house.

Yes I know u were. It's so easy to set up to. I'm so used to having it setup for years now I forgot all about that but with all the moves I didn't get around to setting it back up yet. Ugh. Well at least no damage and I was there to clean it up quickly.

That was minor compared to last week I sold the old 120 display. Well I had it drained all but the overflow box so I put a 5 gal bucket under the overflow to catch the water when I pulled out the stand pipe. Well this was a custom built tank and the overflow box is very large. It holds about 15 gal of water so u do the math. It was a mess ;(

Well a huge step today. The big 240 has now been moved into place. Big thanks to sonic, Matt, big z, and Nate for coming over to help with the tank move. It went very smooth. Got a lot more room in the fish room now. Also got the qt stand in place also. We removed the baseboard on the wall to get the tank flush against the way.

Pictures to follow soon.

The last time it was in the fish room

Lots of room under... Will be lots of storage since the equipment will go through the wall into the fish room

I love the doors on the sides. The canopy is the same way. Not going to move that in till the aquascaping is done

U can c the new stand for the qt system on the far left of this pic. This is a steel stand that was built from another member on the forum. I worked a trade for the stand for one of the 120gal tanks I had. I will plywood on the shelf and the top. It is 4x2x about 30 tall. The only problem is the top of the stand is exactly same height as the electrical outlet I installed ;(. So now I will have to add a 2x4 under it to raise it up.

Last edited:
Ok I have a slight issue. In the winter the Ac doesn't run much so the garage is getting hot. I have the pass through but it's not mixing the house air and fish room air enough. I'm thinking about putting a 120mm fan in the pass through to help mix the air when the lights r on in the tanks at least. What why would u point the fan. Blowing house air into fish room or blowing fish air in the house?

Roger

Have you thought of exhausting fish room to ouside so it draws air from the house on the apex? While running calling fans?

If you pump tank air into the house you then have to deal with increased humidity levels in the house, which could lead to mold and mildew problems. Better to exhaust to the outside and get a small AC split unit specifically for your fish room.

Dave.M

Ok I have a slight issue. In the winter the Ac doesn't run much so the garage is getting hot. I have the pass through but it's not mixing the house air and fish room air enough. I'm thinking about putting a 120mm fan in the pass through to help mix the air when the lights r on in the tanks at least. What why would u point the fan. Blowing house air into fish room or blowing fish air in the house?

Roger
Try and put the air vent near an AC outlet on the other side of the wall. I would also make it closable so in the summer months when the AC is running you can close it off so it doesn't get too cold

If you pump tank air into the house you then have to deal with increased humidity levels in the house, which could lead to mold and mildew problems. Better to exhaust to the outside and get a small AC split unit specifically for your fish room.

Dave.M

I agree. Besides removing the air by the vent of the 240 will help remove heat from lights of the 240 as well. Removing the air is cheaper via fans than to have ac run. I would do it via apex as least you know when it kicks in. More so since you have 50 EB. A room that size is like running a bathroom vent. I know you have gartage door opener but if there is a way to place ceiling fan then you can cycle whole room making sure any pockets are not missed.

Back