240g tank w/fish room build

Got some lighting setup done on the 240. I had to figure out how to do it from scratch. After lots of time in lowes and had this was the end result.

All aluminum pictures will be the best way to describe what I did.

1 inch aluminum square tube. I cut it into 4 nine inch tubes. Then used a u bracket. Drilled a hole in the side of it to fit a bolt. Drilled the same size hole into the aluminum tube. Put the bolt through the u bracket and the tube. Tightened with a nut. Now it is hung from the top of the canopy. Did this x4. Drilled 3 holes into each square tube at different heights to make the lighting easy to adjust the height of the lights off the water. So the final lighting will be 3 tuna blue kessil 360we, 2 reef brite 50/50 strips and a 4 bulb Ati fixture.

The final Kessil is not in the pic. It is on the table. I haven't figured out how to mount it. Was going to use the goose neck but they suck :(. Also the corner 2 kessel need to be lowered below the other lighting.

The rod goes through the holes in the tube and this is what the lights will sit on. I have a cap on the rod so it can't slide through the holes in the tube.

Trust me when I say the pic doesn't to the lighting over the tank justice. Looks much better in person.

Last edited:
Did some par reading and spectral readings yesterday playing with the Seneye. Sonic came over and got it all working. Thx again. Still doesn't show the kelvin :(. After looking over the results and the spread of the light from the kessils. Also the fact that I ended up with a 4 bulb t5 instead of the 6-8 bulb I had planned on I might add a 4th Kessil. Need to save up a bit not in a rush.

Side note. Positive customer service from Kessil. Had a problem with there controller that I purchased used and they set me a brand new controller to replace it. Nice to see when company's stand behind there products.

Also got the big deltec running. It needs to break in.

Changed the drain on the 240 to a herbie style by adding a 2inch gate valve with 2 reducer fittings to the 1.5 inch pipe size. Tanks a bit quieter now. Wife is happy about that.

Made my first water with the new di canisters added to the ro system.

Since nobody purchased the litter meter I had for sale I set it up on the current sps holding system for 2 part. The amount of all drop in 24 hrs was crazy. So dosing by hand I had to add to much all at one time. I'm sure the corals will be happier this way. Getting 150 small doses a day instead of all at once.

Roger

I Did the first dose of three of interceptor for red bugs today. Again I have never seen a red bug in my system, but I am quarantining for every known sps pest before anything goes in the new system.

Roger

That clam is well " happy as a clam"...lol, I can't believe it moved across the entire frag tank splashing water as it went...

That clam is well " happy as a clam"...lol, I can't believe it moved across the entire frag tank splashing water as it went...

Yes I need to find a way to keep it in place. It's doing the same thing in the display :(

Ok so I did 3 treatments of interceptor for red bugs. So the sps r now ready for the qt tank. I'm thinking about just draining the frag tank that is housing all the sps currently and using that as the qt tank till everything is moved to the new display. It will be a lot to dip all the corals in one day. Since the tank is large. I'm thinking about doing this cause then no light change for the corals. Also I don't have to buy extra apex stuff that I won't need after everything is done and the frag tank is connected to the display.

Roger

I decided to use the current frag tank. It is stand alone for the current qt tank for the sps before they go to the display. The plan is to cut all the corals off the rock they r on... I did this today. The tool that was used with a diamond blade.

I was going to do the first dip today but I ran it of time. Have to head out to my sons baseball game.

I will drain the tank. Clean the tank with vinagar. Then will refill with fresh salt water. Will dip the corals in the current water then put them back into the frag tank. Plan will be to dip then every 7 days for 4 weeks. I will prob use Bayer for the dip.

Roger

All sps were dipped is first week of treatment for all pests. I used 12 gallons of aquarium water and 2 full containers of Bayer. This comes out to 1.5 ml of Bayer to every 1 oz of aquarium water. The dip went well

Used 2 of these

Tube they were dipped in. 15 min for each coral. Had a power head in the dipping station

Then to a rinsing station of new saltwater

Drained the frag tank. Removed all the fish to other tanks. It will be QT tank for next couple months corals only. Refilled with new saltwater.

All the corals added back in the tank. I plan to monitor ammonia with the seneye as it will text me is there r any problems. The apex will take care of the rest.

I got the 4th Kessil 360we in for the display. I have the 2 end units 10 inches from the edge of the tank. Then 16 inches to the next unit From each side. I did it this way since this tank has a center brace. It left me with 16-18 inches between each light in the end. I think that will work well. I'm not a fan of them the full 24 inches apart.

Also got the Neptune wave power heads running. They move a lot of water for sure. The programming is a cool feature. Pretty limitless on what u can do with them. Will keep u posted on how I like them long term. The flow is much narrower then the mp40. Pretty close to the Tunze when u feel by putting your hand in front of the pump.

Roger

Pretty excited I'm seeing lots of small coralline algae growing in the n cora line installed ew display already. I noticed it first on the seneye unit yesterday then as I looked closer small little purple dots all over the place.

Did you find any pests after your first round of dips?

That's the problem with the Bayer dip. If you look at the picture it's just to milky white you can't see anything in it. The picture I posted there is about 50 corals in that bucket and you can't see any of them just an inch or so below the water surface.

Back