240g tank w/fish room build

Well update... I had a club meeting at my house in beginning of sept. Meeting went well. That night I had a large drop in ph from all the people in the house. I opened up the house but it didn't seem to make a difference. Ph normally 8.3 with a low of 8.2 it was reading 7.6. A day later I had a huge drop in orp. Tank has always been around 350 it dropped to 200. I figured it was a probe error because my salinity / conductivity probe was also acting up. It was reading everything from zero to 30 ppt and I leave my sanity at 35ppt. With the refractometer sanity was 35ppt so I ignored all the other probes and ordered new probes.

Well 4 days later during the over night I had a colony that I have had for 5 years it's a slow growing acro RTN. Lost about 30% of it in 12 hrs. Did 50 gal water change. New probs where not here yet. After water change orp went back up to 280 so in 2 days I did another 50 gal change. Orp went up to 320. Rtn seems to have stopped. No other corals effected yet. I guess I will c in a couple days if all back to normal. Just want to post this as a word of caution. If u think your probes are not working correctly still do a water change. It's always a good safety net that should be done in potential problems. After the 2 water changes the ph, salinity/ conductivity probe working fine again with old probes. The orp it hanging around 320. I will do another water change when I get back. Still don't have the new probes on the tank, so the probes were fine something was going on. I wish I would have listed to them :(

Totally in awe of your entire system. It's crazy. If I can ask, what is the endgame? Are you just in it for the love of having all of these awesome species set ups or are you working towards a retail enterprise?just curious...

Well update... I had a club meeting at my house in beginning of sept. Meeting went well. That night I had a large drop in ph from all the people in the house. I opened up the house but it didn't seem to make a difference. Ph normally 8.3 with a low of 8.2 it was reading 7.6. A day later I had a huge drop in orp. Tank has always been around 350 it dropped to 200. I figured it was a probe error because my salinity / conductivity probe was also acting up. It was reading everything from zero to 30 ppt and I leave my sanity at 35ppt. With the refractometer sanity was 35ppt so I ignored all the other probes and ordered new probes.

Well 4 days later during the over night I had a colony that I have had for 5 years it's a slow growing acro RTN. Lost about 30% of it in 12 hrs. Did 50 gal water change. New probs where not here yet. After water change orp went back up to 280 so in 2 days I did another 50 gal change. Orp went up to 320. Rtn seems to have stopped. No other corals effected yet. I guess I will c in a couple days if all back to normal. Just want to post this as a word of caution. If u think your probes are not working correctly still do a water change. It's always a good safety net that should be done in potential problems. After the 2 water changes the ph, salinity/ conductivity probe working fine again with old probes. The orp it hanging around 320. I will do another water change when I get back. Still don't have the new probes on the tank, so the probes were fine something was going on. I wish I would have listed to them :(

Jeeze. Good note of caution. Glad you caught it. Sorry to hear about this.

Totally in awe of your entire system. It's crazy. If I can ask, what is the endgame? Are you just in it for the love of having all of these awesome species set ups or are you working towards a retail enterprise?just curious...

Just love of the hobby and the challenge of it. No retail enterprise. I do sell frags here and there but more of what I have extra of not for gain.

Thx for the complements. I know I went a bit over board but that's just my personality with anything I get involved in 110% or nothing at all.

Roger

Good man. I look forward to actually coming to a meeting one day and meeting you guys. But with a two year old daughter and a two month old son, I'm am officially on lock down. One day I hope to see this set up in person. For now, I will settle for drool worthy photos;@

yes

yes

I only asked to see how much has changed as you advanced. Same here on hand drawings :). Was going to ask if you had Visio or CAD drawings and if you are keeping it up to date. I started to back track on my build (Hand drawings (Many)) and noticed I am no way near the original drawings for my build. I am going to put together something that can help me keep ideas and share it. My simple 300 gallon build has changed so much I have lost some good ideas. Your build is 10x far more complex than mine was wondering how much has it changed since you started.

Last edited:
I only asked to see how much has changed as you advanced. Same here on hand drawings :). Was going to ask if you had Visio or CAD drawings and if you are keeping it up to date. I started to back track on my build (Hand drawings (Many)) and noticed I am no way near the original drawings for my build. I am going to put together something that can help me keep ideas and share it. My simple 300 gallon build has changed so much I have lost some good ideas. Your build is 10x far more complex than mine was wondering how much has it changed since you started.

Multitank system

Planning drain design changed on multitank setup. The return stayed as planned. All the lighting on the multitank system stayed as planned.

On the display

Lighting is completely different. I was going to do halide t5 and led. Ended up with t5 and led only. Plumbing went as planned. Rock wall went as planned, did change the power head plan

I decided on a slight change in lighting on the display and frag tank both.

The frag tang I removed the actinic bulbs for 2 more blue plus. So now it has

6 blue plus,
1 aqua blue special
1 pink bulb. Purple plus I think

Display tank I removed/sold the 4 Kessil 360we and replaced with 2 72 inch reefbrite xho blue. One for the front and one for the back of the tank. Also the display got a bulb change. I swapped out the aqua blue special for 2 coral plus bulbs. I am really liking the look of both tanks!

I hope the reef bright do ok for you. Because of the C.O.B I would think the Kessel would be better for the corals but time will tell.
I have not tried the coral plus on my tank but went with Aquablue special because the Coral plus were too pink on my buddys tank. You may just have enough blue to wash it out.
Keep us informed on how they do.

I hope the reef bright do ok for you. Because of the C.O.B I would think the Kessel would be better for the corals but time will tell.
I have not tried the coral plus on my tank but went with Aquablue special because the Coral plus were too pink on my buddys tank. You may just have enough blue to wash it out.
Keep us informed on how they do.

Yes I though the same on the kessils and maybe that still is the case. The reef rites are not hear yet. But I have one on my Zoa tank and like it better. I like a bit of the pink look. I tried 4 blue plus and 2 coral plus and it was to flat for me so I ended up with 3 blue plus 2 coral plus and 1 purple plus. I like that a lot. Still have the 2 50/50 reefbrite son over the tank too.

Some of my issue with the kessils was that the coverage was just not there. The reef bright front and back should fill up the tank better then the kessils did.

Roger

Gotcha. The single source is an issue. Thats why I have 6 Reefgrow leds and 6 t5's now. Lol I have plenty of coverage. ;-)

Yes I thought I would have that taken care of with the 6 bulb Ati t5 fixture and the 2 reefbright 50/50 strips. Maybe going back wards but will c

Well I need to get some update pictures. Colors are now all at abot 95% all the new growth is finally coming in with fantastic color. I got a bit lazy with the water changes for a bit. I think that's why it took so long to really get the color pop.

I do like the reefbrights over the display tank for the more even spread of light. If money was no object I could have added a few mor Kessle and that might have fixed my issue too.. The growth is coming along good also.

I still haven't started my next round of qt yet. I have a friend breaking down a tank soon will wait to see what I may pick up from him first then just do all at once. I'm in no rush as I don't have much room left in the display anymore but I do have a few spots left.

The frag tank is also looking great! Now I just need to hold on as long as I can till the next change. What ever that will be :)

Roger

I finally made it through the 31 pages. All I can say is WOW! Your systems are awesome and look better than most stores I visit. I dream of having a setup as big and organized as this one day.

I finally made it through the 31 pages. All I can say is WOW! Your systems are awesome and look better than most stores I visit. I dream of having a setup as big and organized as this one day.

Thx means a lot. Did a lot of planning to build this setup. I had a lot of help keeping me pushing forward. It was a long process to get finished.

I will try to get updated pictures soon.

Back