25g SPS (too many pics...is that possible?)

kaserpick

Keeping it Simple
Hi all! I posted about this tank a few months ago, and never found the time to take all the pics.

After a fatal move, I decided to start this tank back up in November '07; it has been primarily devoted to SPS corals. Here is an extensive list of corals and inverts.

SPS:
Blue Mill
Green Mill
Pink Mill
Hot Pink Mill
Pink Mill w/ purple tips
Orange Cap
Purple Cap
Green Cap
Brown Cap
Blue Tri
FS Tri
Yellow Scroll
Blue Tort
Blue tipped Stag
Elk Horn
Green Acro
Yellow Acro
Teal Acro
Purple Digi
Green Digi
Yellow/Green Acro
Probably more that I'm forgetting...

Softies:
Toadstool
10 zoa. species
3 mushroom species
star polyps
Orange Yumma

LPS:
Green Plate

Clams:
T. Maxima
T. Crocea

Pics to come...:)

All corals are showing considerable growth. I am dosing with Kalkwasser, TM calcium, mag, and strontium along w/ TM lugol's. I run a 14k 150w Phoenix bulb in a ReefOptix 3 pendant driven by a Blue Wave 3 ballast; I also run an SV2 skimmer. Flow is provided by 2 Koralia Nano's, 1 Koralia 4, and a Mag3 return pump.

Most pictures are focused on the SPS corals. Here they are:

Blue tipped Acro (above cap)
100_1405.jpg

Blue Tri.
100_1408.jpg

Green Digi.
100_1409.jpg

Green tipped Acro.
100_1411.jpg

Hot Pink Mill.
100_1412.jpg

Green Cap.
100_1414.jpg

Orange Cap.
100_1415.jpg

Blue Mill.
100_1416.jpg

Blue tipped Stag?
100_1417.jpg

Purple Cap.
100_1419.jpg

Pink Birdnest
100_1420.jpg

Fish Safari Tri.
100_1421.jpg

Yellow Acro.
100_1423.jpg

Lovely colours and nice coral selection well done and keep up the good work. Any chance of a FTS?
Cheers Chris

Green Birdnest.
100_1434.jpg

Purple Digi. and Brown Cap.
100_1435.jpg

Dark Teal Acro.
100_1436.jpg

Tank Shot 1:
100_1437.jpg

Tank Shot 2:
100_1438.jpg

Tank Shot 3:
100_1439.jpg

I apologize for any wrong ID's. Questions and comments are welcome. Hope you all enjoyed. :)

Chris: Thanks! Sorry, I didn't notice that you had replied; I just kept posting pics. Obviously, most are frags; many were given to me by fellow reef keepers.

BLKTANG: Thanks! Great avatar; love the clam!

Efrain and BADGUS: Thank you for the compliments. :)

Efrain: I honestly don't know what I can attribute the polyp extension to. I don't think I do anything out of the ordinary. I feed pretty regularly with DT's and Cyclopeeze. I keep Ca+ at 440ppm, Mg at ~1400ppm, and Alk at 9-10 dKH (I keep a small window on this to minimize fluctuation and give me more buffer).

As for the fish, I have one Six-line Wrasse that is a bully. Since the tank is shallow, it tends to cause other fish to actually jump. I've seriously watched him do it to a percula. I've been thinking about putting a small group of chromis in there to help neutralize the situation. I really do think fish waste will help feed the corals as well. Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
Just to spice things up, I think I'll post some growth rate shots. Here are some before and after pics:

Dec. '07
100_0900.jpg

March '08
100_1435.jpg

Nov. '07
100_0805.jpg

March '08
100_1415.jpg

Most are at different angles than each other, but you get the point. I love looking at these kinds of pics. :)

Efrain: I should have also added that I have quite a bit of flow. The tank holds 30 gallons total and 25g in the display, but I estimate that it only holds 25g totals due to the displacement of the LR. Between all of the pumps and powerheads, I believe I have about 1900 gph flow in the tank. Therefore:

Using 25 total gal., I have 76x the turn over rate.
Using 30 total gal. (just to be conservative on flow rating), I have just shy of 64x the turn over rate.

I found that when I added the high flow with the Koralia 4 that my corals colored up a bit and extended the polyps a little more as well. As a side note, it took me a while to find the right angle with that PH; you can see that the sand won't stay on one end of the tank. :)

Back