Another question on the mini 160

rscotti

I have a med. load 90 gal. right now, more than likely it will become a heavy load 90 gal. will it work? I need a VS version due to space (Mini Bubble King 160 V12 Extra Slim Protein Skimmer).

How quite is it? I have a Nyos 160 and it sounds loud to me, not bad but I want a more quite skimmer.

Also I see it says up to 132 gal. could it handle a med. load 150?

Thanks.

I have a med. load 90 gal. right now, more than likely it will become a heavy load 90 gal. will it work? I need a VS version due to space (Mini Bubble King 160 V12 Extra Slim Protein Skimmer).

How quite is it? I have a Nyos 160 and it sounds loud to me, not bad but I want a more quite skimmer.

Also I see it says up to 132 gal. could it handle a med. load 150?

Thanks.

For your current 90 gallon display, the Mini 160 would be perfect. For a mixed load 150, I'd lean towards a Mini 180 or ideally a Double Cone 180 if sump space permits. The Double Cone 180 is very under rated and includes the RD3 pump which really can't be beat in terms of performance, efficiency and ease of fine tuning. The Mini 180 would be a bit oversized for your 90 gallon display but would be ok if you truly have a heavy load. The 160 on the other hand would be perfect for the 90 but undersized for the 150 display.

The Bubble Kings are about the quietest skimmers I have ever owned and heard. Their pumps are silent and the built in air silencer does a great job in silencing the air intake. They are as close to silent as a skimmer can be.

Ok thank you, I don't think a double cone will work due to space unless I change the sump. Quite is good and the price I saw is not bad, although it would be the most expense I have done, but that again I have tried many so I have bought the BK several times :)

Ok thank you, I don't think a double cone will work due to space unless I change the sump. Quite is good and the price I saw is not bad, although it would be the most expense I have done, but that again I have tried many so I have bought the BK several times :)

LOL. I paid for my BK's too and purchased them from Premium Aquatics. Most recently my Supermarin 250. Like you, they were about the most expensive skimmers I had ever bought or at least damn close. If my Supermarin 250 wasn't the most expensive, it would have been a close 2nd to a 5' tall German made Klase Skimmer I bought new about 15 years ago. That said, if I had to buy a new skimmer, I wouldn't change a thing and would buy the BK skimmer all over again. I say that as a hobbyist whose owned an awful lot of skimmers in the last 29 or so years. You can't beat the quality, efficiency and performance of the skimmers.

By the way, very glad to help.

Back to the quite subject, what I mean is pump hum, right now the Nyos has a hum that is louder than I like.

How is the BK pump hum?

Thanks,

Back to the quite subject, what I mean is pump hum, right now the Nyos has a hum that is louder than I like.

How is the BK pump hum?

Thanks,

As I said in my first reply. They are about the quietest skimmers I have ever heard. The pumps are damn near silent. I would go as far as to say silent but there is a bit of perception when it comes to silent. I can assume you that it will be much quieter than your Nyos and I don't think you will notice any sound from the Red Dragon pump. They are literally the quietest pumps on the market. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Back