ASM Skimmer Club!

well i got back in the ASM club today

GC-9 cone skimmer from ASM

ASMG6skimmer054.jpg

Bubble Plate Mod

Bubble Plate Mod

Has anyone ever done this? I have an ASM g4xx (looks like the G4 but is 30" tall) with Sedra 9000 pump.

Did the gate valve and recirc mod. I noticed that I'm still getting a lot more turbulence in the skimmer than I wanted. Yesterday I finished a bubble plate mod and a mesh mod. (see pics)

skimmermodbubbleplate1.jpg

skimmermodbubbleplate.jpg

Skimmer is kicking butt now :dance:

liking it so far, it has been in the sump for two days. I really like the way it is built and I love the small footprint. Now, I just have to let it break in and we can see some pics of it in action.

Who would imagine that someone would remove a ATB to put in a ASM skimmer LOL very nice skimmer. Funny instead of a coke can next to the skimmer it is next to a brute trash can. Have these skimmers hit the market yet?

The ATB was a great skimmer, but I think a little small for the bioload on this system.Plus my sump was made to run the water level at 10 inches, it was made for a BK, but we will try this ASM. The ATB did not like the 10 inch water and had to be raised up.

I don't understand these bubble plates. Back in the day turbulence in the reaction chamber was desirable. This increased bubble dwell time which increased the time for DOCs=dissovled organic compounds (fish poo, etc.) to stick to the bubbles. Increased sticking of DOCs meant efficency for foam to push the crud up into the collection cup.

I tried a Sicce PSK2500 on my G3 and it didn't work as well, I also tried a Laguna 900 and a laguna 1500 and nothing was as good of a fit as the Sedra 5000. The laguna 900 was close but still not as good. Stick with the Sedra.

I tried a Sicce PSK2500 on my G3 and it didn't work as well, I also tried a Laguna 900 and a laguna 1500 and nothing was as good of a fit as the Sedra 5000. The laguna 900 was close but still not as good. Stick with the Sedra.

Thanks that's not what I wanted to hear! But that's ok! Thanks!

I havent used a Sicce, but I did use the Tunze hydrofoamer.

My G4 had a 9500 and 5000 for a feed and recirculating mod, and worked really well, very stable foam head. When the feed pump died I replaced it with the hydrofoamer, and found that I actually got better results with it by itself, and didnt even need the recirc pump. It took me about a month between break in and getting the water level correct. Now it rocks.

Back