ASM Skimmer Club!

Psirex, I've gone back a little in this thread but may not have seen all, so bear with me as I ask you a few questions.

1. Did you ever have it working correctly??

The skimmer works, I just can't put the gate valve mod on it - even at the lowest level of the riser it will overflow with the gate valve attached. I can attach the mod without the riser but not sure if that is efficient or not.

2. When did you do the mesh mod and can you get a pic of it?

It was overflowing before I did the mesh mod

3. Have you cleaned the venturi?

The skimmer was\is clean of any blockage or build up, it was cleaned before I got it and I thoroughly inspected it before putting it in my sump...

I ask because there seems to be too much water being thrown into the skimmer body. I kinda get the same thing if something is blocking the venturi, like a build up of calcium deposits where the water and air meet.

I will look at the ventri again and replace the tube...

I've done everything except the recirculating mod. I did come up with a different mod to supply water to the skimmer though. I'll get you some pics of that when I get home. Since I just had to replace the impeller, my mesh mod is no longer there. I also removed the gate valve mod because there wasn't room when I added my fuge.

Ok, in your pics, you don't have the gate valve mod on. Show me a pic with it installed please.

Will do when I get home, at work right now. But it basically fits the top of the riser. or I can remove the rizer and turn the gate valve over and it will slide into the return cylinder...

Mine's not on my skimmer right now, but I still have all the parts, so I can put it together when I get home and show you how I had it. Talk to you after work.

If you are using the gate valve you don't need the riser tube. They both serve the same purpose. The gate valve allows for more control than riser tube. So if you can attach gate valve without the riser tube it function as intended.

If you are using the gate valve you don't need the riser tube. They both serve the same purpose. The gate valve allows for more control than riser tube. So if you can attach gate valve without the riser tube it function as intended.

Thanks bro!

You do need a piece of 1 1/4 inch pipe, which is what the riser tube is. I just took a pic of mine and I'll get it up over lunch.

So I came home for a minute to get you this pic up. First make sure the riser tube is all the way down. Then the elbow/90 on the left just slips over it.

DSC_1411.jpg

ok, i might need to make some changes to the gate valve but I will try what welsher7 said sine he is the orig owner

So this is what I use to feed my skimmer.

DEF_4873.jpg

DEF_4876.jpg

As you can see a 1 1/2 inch j-bend fits over the end of the venturi. This directs all water to the skimmer that flows from the display to the sump. The return is set below the skimmers rated input and a couple holes were put in to pull any extra water needed.

So I can cut and use the tube to make it look like the setup below right?

So I came home for a minute to get you this pic up. First make sure the riser tube is all the way down. Then the elbow/90 on the left just slips over it.

DSC_1411.jpg
I like the way this is setup I will mimic it :fun4:

DEF_4873.jpg

DEF_4876.jpg

As you can see a 1 1/2 inch j-bend fits over the end of the venturi. This directs all water to the skimmer that flows from the display to the sump. The return is set below the skimmers rated input and a couple holes were put in to pull any extra water needed.

This basically turns it into a recirc right?

First I wouldn't cut the tube. A small piece of 1 1/4 inch pipe can just replace it. That way if you ever want to change it back, you have the original riser tube.

It doesn't make it recirculating, but it requires all water coming from the display tank to go through the skimmer first. I don't use filter socks either. To adjust the flow through the skimmer, just adjust the return pump.

I knew someone was going to say that, I was thinking of feeding the skimmer via overflow just wasn't sure how much of a benefit it would be - i know it will cut down on deitrus in the sump...

You can get one of these in the sink/toilet plumbing section of hardware stores.

DEF_4873.jpg

DEF_4876.jpg

Back