ASM Skimmer Club!

Modded G3 footprint

Modded G3 footprint

I am thinking of modding my ASM G3. Currently running it out of the box with a Sedra 3500, and don't think I am reaching its potential. The largest chamber in the sump where is sits now is 12x13 inches. The skimmer shares this chamber with a sock and inflow from the main tank.

Can I add a recirculating mod and gate valve mods and still fit it in here?

Would the Sedra 3500 work for the recirc mod or should i add the mesh mod with it or upgrade pump?

Where can I get a Uniseal for the mod nowadays? If I use a uniseal do I need to still glue it in?

I am thinking of modding my ASM G3. Currently running it out of the box with a Sedra 3500, and don't think I am reaching its potential. The largest chamber in the sump where is sits now is 12x13 inches. The skimmer shares this chamber with a sock and inflow from the main tank.

Can I add a recirculating mod and gate valve mods and still fit it in here?

Would the Sedra 3500 work for the recirc mod or should i add the mesh mod with it or upgrade pump?

Where can I get a Uniseal for the mod nowadays? If I use a uniseal do I need to still glue it in?

I have done the recirc mod yet but I have done the mesh.... If you can do both and just use a higher rated pump than what you have now doesn't matter where it is on the pump (I think)

Not sure about the uniseal..

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I have done the recirc mod yet but I have done the mesh.... If you can do both and just use a higher rated pump than what you have now doesn't matter where it is on the pump (I think)

Thanks Prirex, I assume you meant to say you have not done the recirc mod yet

I found a recent thread on the recirc mod talking about using a smaller pump on it. If that is the case I don't want to mod the pump first and be overpowered. Also I am not comfortable modding my needle wheel until I have a backup, so at $35 the mesh mod seems more expensive. I am still trying to see if my space can even hold the modded skimmer.

No glue on the uniseal, and the recirc will not add to the footprint and the gate valve will not either. Are you sure it is a G3. The G3 came with a ksp5000, unless it has been changed at some point.

I found a recent thread on the recirc mod talking about using a smaller pump on it.

I believe the smaller pump is for supplying water to the skimmer, since the original pump now pulls water from the skimmer chamber. I also agree, my g3 has a sedra5000.

Thanks Prirex, I assume you meant to say you have not done the recirc mod yet

I found a recent thread on the recirc mod talking about using a smaller pump on it. If that is the case I don't want to mod the pump first and be overpowered. Also I am not comfortable modding my needle wheel until I have a backup, so at $35 the mesh mod seems more expensive. I am still trying to see if my space can even hold the modded skimmer.

No glue on the uniseal, and the recirc will not add to the footprint and the gate valve will not either. Are you sure it is a G3. The G3 came with a ksp5000, unless it has been changed at some point.

I was told it was a G3 when I bought it off of CL. Just pulled a tape measure on it and it must be a G-2, nice catch before I start ordering wrong parts and drilling wrong sized holes.

Now that I own a G-2, What mods should I do first to get the most from the skimmer?

I think the link I found for the recirc mod was incomplete. Are there two pumps involved?

The recirc is probably the best mod, along with the gate valve, yes you need a second pump, it is what feeds water into the skimmer, the main pump just pulls water from the body, injects air into it and sends it back to the body.

I'm having trouble with my ASM G3. First of all it is too big for my stand/sump. Second, it has too many modifications to juggle around while trying to get it going. The recirculating pump won't start unless the venturi is disconnected. Then I have to hook up the venturi with the pump and uniseal while the pump is spewing water all over. The uniseal is such a tight fit that it takes a lot of force to get it in there.

I'm definitely in the market for a new skimmer. One that is smaller and comes out of the box plug and play. The asm is rated for a 250 gallon tank and it's just overkill on mine.

ridingasm002_zps801c717b.jpg

I'm definitely in the market for a new skimmer. One that is smaller and comes out of the box plug and play. The asm is rated for a 250 gallon tank and it's just overkill on mine.

ridingasm002_zps801c717b.jpg

I have an unmoded G2 that I would trade you for. It would save me from having to mod mine. Mine is less than 3 months old.

Sources for mod

Sources for mod

I have a 1 1/4" gate valve on the way. I am looking for a source for some of the other parts for these mods. Some of the sources in the thread are years old and the companies no longer carry the same parts.

I am looking for a source for
  1. Enkamat
  2. Uniseals

I am planning on trying to feed the skimmer from the overflow from the tank. I already have a y junction from the tank drain that has a shut off valve. I use this to siphon for water changes. I was thinking to use this same valve to feed the skimmer.

I am looking for a source for [LIST=1 said:
[*]Enkamat
[*]Uniseals
[/LIST]

You can buy Uniseals at Bulk Reef Supply dot com, they have them also offer resonable shipping charges. Alternatively you can use ebay for both enkamat and uniseal. I own an ASM G4x and have done the gate valve mod, recirc mod, mesh wheel mod and bubble plate mod. It is a beast on my 200gal system!

You can buy Uniseals at Bulk Reef Supply dot com, they have them also offer resonable shipping charges. Alternatively you can use ebay for both enkamat and uniseal. I own an ASM G4x and have done the gate valve mod, recirc mod, mesh wheel mod and bubble plate mod. It is a beast on my 200gal system!

Bubble plate mod?

skimmermodbubbleplate1.jpg

Bubble plate works GREAT, Only thing I dont like about the skimmer is the GIANT footprint in my sump. Thinking of another mod to put the pump inside the skimmer under the bubbleplate

Last edited:
You can buy Uniseals at Bulk Reef Supply dot com, they have them also offer resonable shipping charges. Alternatively you can use ebay for both enkamat and uniseal.

Thank You Dr.,

I had been searching all forgot where I had seen those. I already have a wish list from BRS waiting to be purchased. I can just add a few seals to it now.

I had seen the Enkamat on Ebay but only from Hong Kong and did not want to wait 6 weeks for it. Now I found another ebay shipped from the US.

I would like to see the details of the build of your bubble plate. Did you do a before and after analysis, what kind of improvements did it make?

Direct the flow on the Recirc Mod?

Direct the flow on the Recirc Mod?

I have put together a list of parts.

For the lower hole for the recirc mod I measure the Venturi input diameter to be 1 5/16" outside diameter. Should I purchase a 1 1/4" uniseal for this hole? How about the input for the top of the skimmer. What sized uniseal should I purchase for this hole?

I am planning on feeding the input to the skimmer from a split in the return from the tank. I have seen one recirc mod where the Inflow from the Sedra pump was directed through pipes downward into the skimmer body.

I was thinking of doing this but also putting a 45 or 90 Degree on the bottom of this downward run to create a cyclone circulation. I want to also do the same thing with the input into the skimmer, putting an angle on the input to increase a cyclonic action in the skimmer. Hoping for some input on this idea.

I dont really have before/after photos. I can tell you it reduced the amount of micro bubbles exiting the skimmer, I also get more skim mate production since installing the bubble plate.

I used a 6"acrylic tube 3/16 thickness and 1/4" thick acrylic for the ends. Used a drill press to make the holes and finished the with a countersink bit. Weldon 4 and 16 to seal the top and bottom. Acrylic welding went easier than I thought. Drilled a 1 3/4" hole in the side for a 1" uniseal.

I just push the pipe coming into the skimmer from the pump into the uniseal (that was kinda a pia since there's also already one uniseal to push thru to get into the skimmer body and then a second to get into the bubble plate unit). Now the micro bubbles pretty much stay above the bubble plate.

I have put together a list of parts.

For the lower hole for the recirc mod I measure the Venturi input diameter to be 1 5/16" outside diameter. Should I purchase a 1 1/4" uniseal for this hole? How about the input for the top of the skimmer. What sized uniseal should I purchase for this hole?

I am planning on feeding the input to the skimmer from a split in the return from the tank. I have seen one recirc mod where the Inflow from the Sedra pump was directed through pipes downward into the skimmer body.

I was thinking of doing this but also putting a 45 or 90 Degree on the bottom of this downward run to create a cyclone circulation. I want to also do the same thing with the input into the skimmer, putting an angle on the input to increase a cyclonic action in the skimmer. Hoping for some input on this idea.

I used 1" uniseal for the venturi input and it was TIGHT...1 1/4 might be a better fit. I also used a 1" unseal for the input into the skimmer. My skimmer is 8" in diameter though so you might want to consider the size of the pvc pipe that will be inside your skimmer. For a g2 you might want to consider a threaded barbed elbow, tap a hole and just screw it into the side. BRS sells them (sched 80 elbow barb x male thread)

Back