ASM Skimmer Club!

Don't want another asm now. What would you have to trade for my modded g3?

Too late. I Just added the gate valve mod to mine today and ordered the other parts for the other mods as well. The one mod I did looks like a major improvement in performance. I know what you mean by them being quirky. It is skimming a certain way, after I unplug it and plug it back in, the skimmer works differently.

My space if very tight also. I doubt yours will work in my sump chamber without alterations. Mine is 12x13". On my gate valve I put a 45 elbow on it and directed the valve across the base of the skimmer body. I am able to fit an altered skimmer and a filter sock in this space, just barely. You might consider altering your skimmer to fit better until you upgrade to a non ASM skimmer.

I know what you mean by them being quirky. It is skimming a certain way, after I unplug it and plug it back in, the skimmer works differently.

Don't get that. I've had mine over 6 years. I don't change anything and have never adjusted it unless the whole skimmer was removed for a cleaning, (I do that about once a year).

Photobug, I would like to see pictures of your alterations. I will probably keep my asm in case I ever have a ~180 gallon tank. I'm now using a backup skimmer until I get my new one. Likely a reef octopus. The asm served me well, I just need something rated with a lesser capacity and overall footprint. (including the addition to the footprint by the modifications)

Photobug, I would like to see pictures of your alterations.

Here you go.

My valve 1 1/4" gate valve just arrived today from Amazon. I had some 1 1/4" pipe and fittings I bought over the weekend. The 45 elbow directs the valve on back along the same space in the tank taken up by the footprint of the Sedra pump already.

I made the mistake of buying a threaded gate valve because I did not want to glue a $26 valve into place. Unfortunately the threads add close to 4" to the length, making it so very tight in the space, so that the skimmer, outflow and sedra pump are pressed into the corners to make it all fit. I have ordered a non threaded gate valve to retry it that way. I believe I do not need to glue anything as there is no pressure in the system. The 4" shrinkage of the outflow system will hopefully allow a little wiggle room. It looks like the recirc mod will change the footprint ever slightly when I have to swing the Sedra pump perpendicular to the skimmer. I would like to fit the skimmer in the sump so the parts do not have to touch the walls or baffles but it will be tight.

Attachments

• IMG_2024.jpg
    IMG_2024.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2026.jpg
    IMG_2026.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1
Here you go.

My valve 1 1/4" gate valve just arrived today from Amazon. I had some 1 1/4" pipe and fittings I bought over the weekend. The 45 elbow directs the valve on back along the same space in the tank taken up by the footprint of the Sedra pump already.

I made the mistake of buying a threaded gate valve because I did not want to glue a $26 valve into place. Unfortunately the threads add close to 4" to the length, making it so very tight in the space, so that the skimmer, outflow and sedra pump are pressed into the corners to make it all fit. I have ordered a non threaded gate valve to retry it that way. I believe I do not need to glue anything as there is no pressure in the system. The 4" shrinkage of the outflow system will hopefully allow a little wiggle room. It looks like the recirc mod will change the footprint ever slightly when I have to swing the Sedra pump perpendicular to the skimmer. I would like to fit the skimmer in the sump so the parts do not have to touch the walls or baffles but it will be tight.
I like the idea of the 45*. I didn't glue my fittings either.

ASM G2 vs G3

ASM G2 vs G3

I have picked up a G3 missing a few parts. I was going to use the Sedra 5000 from it on my G2. It was too hard to plumb without raising the height of the skimmer and expanding the input hole. I just took the missing parts from the G2 to run the G3.

Now that I have spare bodies and parts, I am thinking of doing the recirc mod on my G2 and then running it with the Sedra 5000. I do not want to do the mesh wheel mod as I am concerned about pump life. I already have the venturi and gate valve mods done. Without mesh modding would i be better with the G2 run by the S5000?

The G3 comes with a 5000 pump, the G2 comes with a 3500. I wouldn't run a G3 with a 3500, but I would run a G2 with a 5000.

Anyone get fine bubbles at the top of their ASM or get thick stinky sludge in the collection cup?

Best i can get on mine is varied larger bubbles and watery skimate.

I heard that there was a 'bubble plate' mod for the G3 - can someone point me in the right direction or if you have done this mod pass along what you did?

I have been running a g3 for the past year and am wondering if you guys clean the removable section below the cup when you do your cleanings or clean out the cup only? Also, is there a reccomended spot to set the water level too? I have been setting mine about 1"above the bottom of the skimmer cup.
Thanks
Josh

I have been running a g3 for the past year and am wondering if you guys clean the removable section below the cup when you do your cleanings or clean out the cup only? Also, is there a reccomended spot to set the water level too? I have been setting mine about 1"above the bottom of the skimmer cup.
Thanks
Josh

so I need to buy a skimmer tonight someone please help me out

-asmi mini g w/ sicce sk200 $140
-sca 301 ebay special $80
- reef octopus 110 $180

was this close to buying a mini g with sicce pump but after reading a few threads on here I figured I should ask since some people either love or hate this skimmer

Back