ASM Skimmer Club!

so I need to buy a skimmer tonight someone please help me out

-asmi mini g w/ sicce sk200 $140
-sca 301 ebay special $80
- reef octopus 110 $180

was this close to buying a mini g with sicce pump but after reading a few threads on here I figured I should ask since some people either love or hate this skimmer
What size tank, type of setup, degree of bioload, etc, etc?

I wouldn't go with the mini g. It has very little skimming power because it's very different from the bigger Gs. Go with a G1 that has the Sedra 2500 or the G1x with the Sedra 3500.

tank is only a small 20g with 10g sump
high bio-load though 3 fish and sps and lps

leaning towards the ebay special since its cheap and the smallest

Has anyone tried this pump on an ASM?

I'm looking for a quieter skimmer pump and the Tunze Hydrofoamer Silence might be it. If the fittings fit, I can replace my Sedra5000 pump with it on my asm G3. Problem is that my skimmer body is retrofitted for recirculation. It has two holes drilled in it: one for input and one for output from the same pump to recirculate. There is a third hole just for water input. I think the tunze is right plumbing size. I just need everything to match up for a clean retrofit.

If it won't work on my modded ASM then I might have to buy a new asm and just run the Tunze in the unmodified ASM with a one hole out-of-the-box stock method.

Guys, can you fill me in here?

I'm looking at the 9420. Just checked on MD, 3/4 inch female so yeah it might work on my ASM. My Sedra pump is so loud I can't stand it.

Last edited:
You should be able to do it, I added a psk1000 to my recirc G3 for a while, it was just a little plumbing.

I put a tunze hydrofoamer 9420 on my G4. I had to use a pvc reducer, but other than that it fit perfectly.

I also had a 9000 for a recirculating pump. after I installed the hydrofoamer, I no longer needed it. So I removed it and covered the holes with some thick plastic from a drink bottle like a 2 liter or something and some silicone.

I put a tunze hydrofoamer 9420 on my G4. I had to use a pvc reducer, but other than that it fit perfectly.

I also had a 9000 for a recirculating pump. after I installed the hydrofoamer, I no longer needed it. So I removed it and covered the holes with some thick plastic from a drink bottle like a 2 liter or something and some silicone.
mc-cro, was your hydrofoamer significantly quieter?

Yes, it is much quieter, makes a much better foam, and draws significantly less power. I am extremely happy with it.

Have a G4xx with Sedra 15000 that blew up. Have no issues with the skimmer, but I need to replace the pump. I have about 200G of total capacity with tank / sump and a lightly stocked reef tank (though I want to be heavily stocked when I've got things going).

Trying to determine whether I replace the pump with something of a higher quality (more quiet) but maybe not quite as high of GPH or just replace the impeller and keep going with the 15000.

Any thoughts? Been searching here and the rest of the Interwebs for a week and I haven't stumbled upon anything decisive...any suggestions greatly appreciated! :)

I have the G4xx with sedra 9000 on it, did a mesh mod on the impeller. If/When my pump goes I'd probably replace it with a bubble blaster or tunze hydrofoamer 9420. I have a similar size tank that is heavily stocked, over fed and has tons of softies, lps and some sps. I just cant justify buying a replacement skimmer when the G4xx does such a good job. :)

At what point does one consider a skimmer broken and needs to be replaced? Because as longs as there are replacement parts for the motor\pump they should last forever?

At what point does one consider a skimmer broken and needs to be replaced? Because as longs as there are replacement parts for the motor\pump they should last forever?

+1

Only reasons I can think would be:
1. if I needed a smaller footprint for sump
2. change from internal/external type
3. skimmer height/water level issues (if you changed your sump around)

There have been minor changes in skimmers recently but the general design is the same as the old ASM's.

+1

Only reasons I can think would be:
1. if I needed a smaller footprint for sump
2. change from internal/external type
3. skimmer height/water level issues (if you changed your sump around)

There have been minor changes in skimmers recently but the general design is the same as the old ASM's.
The general design of the old ASMs are tried and true. I consider the cone shape and the bubble plates as major changes in skimmer trends.

I bought a cone-shaped skimmer with bubble plate because it was quieter than my G3. Low and behold, it doesn't skim as good--BUT... It's got all the bells and whistles! (woo)

Did the gate valve mod, impeller mesh mod, and even a bubble plate mod on my g4xx. I'd say it skims just as good if not better than any of top skimmers avail today.

Did the gate valve mod, impeller mesh mod, and even a bubble plate mod on my g4xx. I'd say it skims just as good if not better than any of top skimmers avail today.

Can you send me the info on how to do the plate mod?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Used 6" acrylic tube and 1/4" acrylic to make top and bottom. Drilled out holes randomly on the inside top then used a countersink bit on each hole. The bubble plate attaches to the incoming 1" pipe with a rubber uniseal.

Was more of a fun project than practical one. Got some experience working with acrylic. Not sure if the skimmer efficiency improved but I do get less micro-bubbles in the outflow.
skimmermodbubbleplate.jpg

skimmermodbubbleplate1.jpg

Back