AV99's custom 600g Reef Savvy on site build-Lots of pictures

Stunning corals, and amazing build!

I get it that you don't need to test parameters that often, and I've read similar about other world class systems. BUT, the last time you tested when everything looked as it should, what were all your parameters? Hope thats not pushy, just trying to learn from someone that has obviously figured a few things out. Also, what is it that you see in your corals that tells you something is off? In my tank my Setosa tells me if there is too much light, and my Garf Bonsai gets dark if my nutrients get too high.

Appreciate the feedback, thanks, Howard

Thanks for the compliments, Howard. The very best advice I could offer for long-term SPS success is to keep your system as stable as possible (especially your alkalinity and salinity levels) and properly QT all new arrivals. Also have a backup plan in place when equipment fails or for power outages.

I have been successfully keeping SPS corals for over a decade and stability is of paramount importance for long-term success. It does not matter if you run low Alk (7dkh), moderate Alk (9 dkh) or high Alk (12 dkh), so long as you maintain stability the corals will flourish under normal SPS reef conditions (ie, provide lots of light and flow and stable water parameters). Any sudden Alk swings up or down can be detrimental to the corals. :thumbsup:

Stunning corals, and amazing build!

I get it that you don't need to test parameters that often, and I've read similar about other world class systems. BUT, the last time you tested when everything looked as it should, what were all your parameters?

Appreciate the feedback, thanks, Howard

Up Next: Some recent behind the scenes pictures and a very cool video of Reef Savvy's return trips to Ohio from Miami, Florida in November 2016 and late December 2016 through January 1, 2017 to install a complete custom external overflow and armored seams for my dream tank.

First the Armored seams installed

aromoredseams2.jpg

armoredseams1.jpg

armouredseams7.jpg

armoredseams3.jpg

Last edited:
Another friend was in area and decided to stop by and check out the new build today as well .... Brett from Cherry Corals chatting it up with Felix.:thumbsup:

cherrysavvy44.jpg

cherrysavvy1.jpg

Last edited:
How BIG is your basement???!!! :0) I love basements so I have to request some more pics and detailed plans for your (assumed) reno! :0)

I can't believe how much 'big stuff' you need to run such a tank but fascinating watching your build and beyond my knowledge by light years!

Keep up the photos as great to see it all coming together

Best wishes

While the build is coming along really nicely, being the nerd that I am - may I request a more in-depth tour of your current holding tanks? Would love to see more of that!

You are absolutely correct my friend. With the stress of getting a new tank too. The custom external overflow had to arrive in perfect condition from Miami, Fla to Dayton, OH because the hotel, rental car and airline tickets were already booked in advance so safe arrival of the glass external overflow was a big deal (emphasis added).

Tim, that is like a whole other tank.:)

Last edited:
Back