AV99's custom 600g Reef Savvy on site build-Lots of pictures

Thank you, Stylo328! Glad to have you following my build thread too.

Appreciate the photos and associated ID's. You have an amazing collection. Looking forward to the maturing of the tank in the years to come. The display will be incredible.

Hope you were able to view the pictures posted on my build thread, christ_pro.

Hi Guys.

This seems to be a very promising reef tank. I do have a 350 Gallon reef savvy and I love the quality and how they make the tanks. quick question I cant see the pictures of your system, is it only me or anyone else have this problem?

Thanks again Corey for the very nice compliment and feel free to send me a PM when you are ready for some colorful sticks.

Tim, some amazing pictures of your pieces. I am switching my tank to SPS and might be interested in making a trip over to see you for frags if you have some to sell

Thank you, JBarners! Not sure of the exact power requirements just yet but I have planned ahead so if I need to expand down the road, it should not be a problem. My wife handles the electric bill and if you ask her about the specifics, she will tell you our electric bill is high (emphasis added)! To date, I have added eight (8) 20 amp circuits dedicated to the display tank area and another five (5) 20 amp circuits installed for the separate grow-out system, with room to expand, if needed.

The final piece of the build will consist of adding a whole house generator as well.

Amazing build, I'm curious as to what you power requirements are to run this beast? Are you planning a backup generator?

Thank you very much for the nice compliment! It will be exciting watching my sticks grow out over time.

Wow! Nice sticks you have brewing there! Can't wait to see it up and going! 👍

Oh yes, you need to bring out your sun glasses for that gem....It literally glows! The Glowstick is one of my favorites too! It is even more stunning to see in person.:thumbsup:

New favorite coral is ... your glow stick!!

+1!!!!
Corey

Thank you very much!

Very nice.

I'm based in the UK and just set up a Red Sea 650 litre but yours is absolutely huge and way beyond my skill levels with all that kit you have. The tank looks stunning really stunning.

I wouldnt even now we're to start with that lot!

Looking forward to watching your thread.

Greetings from the other side of the pond aka other side of the Atlantic Ocean. Thank you very much for the kind words and glad to share my build thread with you.:thumbsup:

I'm based in the UK and just set up a Red Sea 650 litre but yours is absolutely huge and way beyond my skill levels with all that kit you have. The tank looks stunning really stunning.

I wouldnt even now we're to start with that lot!

Looking forward to watching your thread.

Hi. Just thought about the amount of evaporation of a tank this size. Have you ever thought about that in the planning stage? Do you think it will have any bearing on the room it's contained in? Soulutions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replay and you are correct. Large reef tanks equal humidity issues for sure. My plan is to go with a commercial grade dehumidifier, like the Santa Fe Advance 2 which operates around 640 watts and can remove 90 pints/day.

I live in the part of the United States where it gets very hot and humid during the Summer months so an air ex-changer would not be ideal. My whole house A/C helps as well, but for Spring and Fall, a commercial grade dehumidifier for the basement is what I plan to start with and most likely will need to run it year around too.

Hi. Just thought about the amount of evaporation of a tank this size. Have you ever thought about that in the planning stage? Do you think it will have any bearing on the room it's contained in? Soulutions?

Absolutely love this new commercial grade dehumidifier for my basement reef project! Built like a tank and Made in the USA!

compresseddehumid1.jpg

compresseddehumid2.jpg

compresseddehumid4.jpg

Last edited:
Since the water collected in the dehumidifier should essentially be pure...would it make sense to plumb it to the ATO tank?

You should check the dehumidifier water product and see if it is actually pure. It would be the perfect loop.

Awesome build... Looking forward for more. I think that guy who said it is a waste of money is just jealous .

I believe it is agreed that most of the time the water from a dehumidifier can be contaminated with some metals from the coils and is not recommended to be used for the aquarium ... I run my waste out to a barrel and use it to water the flower beds

It works so well and built to last. Very pleased!

excellent choice!!!! i had a santa fe unit in my old house back in NJ and was awesome!!!!

I just treat it as waste water just like my RO/DI discharge water ... I have the dehumidifier hooked up to the same drain as my furnace.

Since the water collected in the dehumidifier should essentially be pure...would it make sense to plumb it to the ATO tank?

Thank you very much for following along. Looking forward to sharing this build with you!

Following this one for sure! Can't wait to see more.

I hear ya my friend. Nothing about this mega build project is energy-efficient. My electric bill is very high and for good reason (ie, creating a large scale SPS coral garden in Ohio comes at a cost).... this I cannot deny...Lol.

An energy star sticker on that thing? :lolspin:
Probably when it's not running.

The dehumidifier waste water is probably good enough to water the lawn but I would not recycle it for my SPS reef or drink it ... The water does look clear when discharged though.

You should check the dehumidifier water product and see if it is actually pure. It would be the perfect loop.

Thank you very much my friend for following along and yes, that person who had nothing nice to say was just trolling to get a reaction. :thumbsup:

Awesome build... Looking forward for more. I think that guy who said it is a waste of money is just jealous .

Very good point, lovetoreef! I could probably use my waste water to fill a hot tub or even a swimming pool...

I believe it is agreed that most of the time the water from a dehumidifier can be contaminated with some metals from the coils and is not recommended to be used for the aquarium ... I run my waste out to a barrel and use it to water the flower beds

Very true and it would be nice to recycle whenever possible.

That's probably true, but it would have been nice.

Yes indeed my friend and thanks for tagging along. More updates to follow soon.

This tank is going to be insane!!! Following everyday looking for updates!!!!!

I enjoy the equipment side of the hobby just as much as the reef keeping side of the hobby.:thumbsup: Thank you for following my thread!

you had nice toys on this set up.. :)

Thank you very much for the compliment. I have been a hardcore SPS hobbyist going back to 2005 and this is my best collection yet. Looking forward to the day when I can start moving all my gems over to the 600g display....the grow-out system is bursting at the seams now.

Very cool.......nice collection of SPS....tagging along !!!

Back