Bubble King Skimmer Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question to the SM owners:

Is your wedge pipe marked anywhere as a reference point for adjusting? If you look at the pics from the manual, it looks like the Deluxe has a dot on the wedge pipe.

No, mine does not have a dot. The deluxe models, as I understand, do because you can set the wedge pipe and adjust with the telescoping pipes. With all the adjustment points you need somewhere to start.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12201085#post12201085 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
Yinger, both Mike and I followed the directions from the manual. We both closed the nozzle completely, then opened until the dots lined up the 1st time. It was also less then one turn for me.

oh okay, I noticed that there are more bubbles in the chamber if I opened the intake up a little more. i set it to about 3 turns right now and its doing pretty well... but then again, my tank is way overstocked so the instructions say you can open it up a bit.

Yinger, I've read from other BK owners (the Deluxe 400 owners), that they get more bubbles when the open it up more. I think they had issues with the pump, though. Hopefully, Steve (Jar*head) will chime in.

Creetin explained to me that the more you open the nozzle, the more water you will process (makes sense), but you may not take out some of the "harder to get" organics secondary to the volume of water moving through (also makes sense)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12201014#post12201014 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
yeah, that's amazing! I cleaned my cup the other day, and a clean neck makes such a difference. After I placed the cup back on the skimmer, the water level climbed the neck quickly. I turned it back down.

I think these skimmers are very sensative to a dirty neck. I think it has to do with it being wider because my deltec 851 would skim forever - maybe not quite as much but very consistant even with the dirty neck. It had a neck about half the size of the BK.

possibly, my skimmate production decreased over the week as the neck got dirtier.

Last edited:
wow, Bart. you really are serious! sweet! welcome to the club :) what's the other skimmer you have besides the deltec?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12197987#post12197987 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jim_S
:lol:

Well, I'm looking at the ATB externals and have my mind made up that I will be getting one as soon as I can; however, I've always wanted a BK. They've just been out of my budget/what I want to spend. If I could get a good price on an 250 ext, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

are you gonna at least see what price you can get from the group buy?

Today's nog shot

DSCN3267.jpg

JNB - I share your enthusiasm :) Nice tanks!

Yinger, you're pulling out a lot more nog than I was. I wonder if it's cuz I run it dry. How much do you feed your fish?

tbone, i've been running it wet to try to clean out as much nutrients as possible. I usually feed a stripe of nori as soon as i get home, then sometimes flakes, then mysis sometimes mixed with rod's.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12202668#post12202668 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cbui2
yinger likes it wet :D

I won't comment on that!!! :lol:

Yinger - I feed a lot more than you.

before work: 2 frozen cubes brine and nori

after work: 2 frozen cubes brine, 1 frozen formula one, some Rod's and more nori. Also throw in a pinch of pellets (either spectrum, formula one or formula two).

Occasionally, will throw in a frozen cube of spirulina and/or PE mysis. Will also throw in some powdered cyclopeeze occasionally. my chromis go wild over this stuff.

sometime before I go to sleep: more nori

:D...or as someone else told me, "Hey, why don't you change your water once in a while!" :lol:

my tangs have pot bellies :D

Last edited:
Yinger looks like its running very well! I think thats the best way to run the SM's.
Here's a couple pics of me running a little drier.
fish226.jpg

Mmmm foam.
fish228.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back