Bubble King Skimmer Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently on the fence. I always thought I wanted a Deltec AP902, but I've recently been researching the Reeflo Orca 250 and the Bubble Kings. I like the SCH option on the Deltec. I haven't heard much bad about the Deltec either. The Reeflo is a nice skimmer as well - cheaper, but as soon as you add a few suggested options, we're up to the price of a Deltec. And I'm not a big fan of the fact that the Reeflo is made in China. Everyone always raves about the Bubble Kings. The Red Dragon pumps are certainly one of the selling points. The skimmers appear well built. I love the nog shots. So, what makes a Bubble King better than a Deltec? For my application, I'm looking at an AP902 vs an Deluxe 250 External. Convince me so I can add my name to the Bulk Buy! :)

BTW - The system is a 240 gal display (primarily SPS and an average quantity of fish), 100 gal capacity sump, 65 gal water change tank, 38 gal prop tank, 45 gal fuge, 40 gal mangrove fuge. Total actual volume around 500 gal less rock/coral/fish displacement.

Hey Oldtimer, the skimmers don't just "appear" well built, they ARE well built. I've never owned a Deltec, have only spoken with Deltec owners. The Deltecs skim wonderfully, but some owners say are not as well built, and the pumps are louder than the red dragons. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

If you are looking Deltec and BK, I would consider ATBs over the Reeflos.

Oldtimer, I would think that the diffusion plate would make the BK work better than a Deltec, but what do I know....I run a G5. Eventually I think Ill get the BK 250 delux internal skimmer for my 220G.

Damn, tbone be pimp'n BKs with all these nog shots. You sure you're not an undercover agent for Royal Exclusiv? ;) You know you have to answer that question truthfully if you are. At least they have to on TV. :D

Sorry guys for not replying to the PMs. I've been busy. But I'll start calling shops on Monday.

I think we need to decide on a closing date for the group buy. Thoughts on closing and ordering by April 30th? Back-ordered, etc. models may be a factor too.

*Edit*

My B, it seems for the most part that we're all on the same page if ordered by the end of the month.

T,

I should've asked this before. Is it cool for the Group Buy to be in your Club thread or should we start a Group Buy thread?

So far we've got:

1. Jim_S - Deluxe 250 External

2. kenargo - Deluxe 300 Internal

3. triunfo - Mini 180

4. Graf-X - Supermarin 200 or 250 Internal

5. Too Fly - Deluxe 250 External or 300 Internal

Last edited:
Paul, it's not my club thread. It's a BK skimmer thread :), so all is cool.

On your skimmer, why 250 Ext or 300 Int? Why the different size skimmer?

yeah tbone's not a secret agent he is going to trade his bk in for a tunze master doc so he can get a few sticker's.:lol: :rollface: :p

Hey Too Fly, don't forget I am interested in the deluxe 200 as well. I'm actually on the fence on getting it since it will run on a 120 gal. Anybody here think it will be overkill? Otherwise I'll stick to the Mini, either way the price difference only means more money to invest in the tank, or a longer wait for more items.

I think a 200 deluxe would work. JMO
It will adjust better than the mini in regards to the mini only has a wedgepipe and the deluxe has wedgepipe,telescopic stand pipe and the pump can be adjusted as well.
If it were me i would get the 200 deluxe.

Is everyone running an internal or are there some external people out there? I prefer the External for accessibility. I'd like to gravity feed it as well. Any experience with such a setup? Any overflow issues?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12209126#post12209126 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rwinfrey
yeah tbone's not a secret agent he is going to trade his bk in for a tunze master doc so he can get a few sticker's.:lol: :rollface: :p

LOL, I can't leave my BK bros for a Tunze skimmer. I think they look funny :p

i have an external oldtimer... i am still learning a lot about mine, so i dont have much to share

at this point... i am a bit frustrated with the foam head collapsing during feedings. i try to feed small amounts several times a day, so it always seems like the foam is down

otherwise (when the foam is up), i am happy with mine... just wish the foam didnt collapse so much during feedings (or when i put my hands in the tank.... my frag tank is part of the main system and i work in it a pretty good deal... also collapsing the foam)

my modded internal euro cs83 (upgraded pump and gate) didnt have this problem

Kip, what do you feed? My foam collapses when I soak food in selcon/Zoe. And it takes a good couple hours before it fully comes back. It doesn't collapse if I don't soak the food or when I put my arms in the tank.

Thanks for the feeddback Kip. Are you gravity feeding the skimmer?

Have you had any issues with overflowing the skimmer (e.g., after restarting)?

Thx

kip
keigo iirc, on the zeo forum helped me dial my skimmer in. he told me to give it about a month or so to really see the skimmer perform, something about the needlewheel needing to slime up. have no idea if that was it, but at about a month my skimmer grabbed another gear so to speak. i was frustrated at first.

i also think mine works better dirty.
july07tank029.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back