Bubble King Skimmer Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12258465#post12258465 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mnkstr1
I would like in for a BK mini 160 shipped to 20175. I am actually torn b/w the 160 and 180 but not knowing prices is making it hard to make my decision.

Oh shnap. Sorry mnkstr1, I though I replied to your PM. Hold up, it's on its way.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12257443#post12257443 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KMP
which bk would you guys recommend for a 70g (current tank) with a 120g upgrade in the future? i read these skimmers like to work hard, so i'm thinking the bk mini 160 is the answer.

Kenny, the mini 160 is fine for your 70g, but will be at the high end of the range if you move up to a 120(assuming you don't go even bigger). As long as you only moderately stock the 120, it should be fine. Personally, I like lots of fish and feed heavily, so for a 120, I'd go with the mini 180.

thanks jeremy. i wont' go bigger than 120 since the next build is underway (in my mind more than anything) and i'm in love with the elos 120xl (47x31x19 - what great numbers!).

so assuming i go with the 180 will that be to much skimmer for the 70g?

I've got a question on the ratings of skimmer. I'm using a refugium that incorporates macroalgae for nutrient uptake. Could one go with a bk mini 160 and be fine knowing the macroalgae is contributing? I guess the bigger questions is, do skimmer ratings assume there is no other nutrient export in system besides the skimmer?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12258585#post12258585 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KMP
thanks jeremy. i wont' go bigger than 120 since the next build is underway (in my mind more than anything) and i'm in love with the elos 120xl (47x31x19 - what great numbers!).

so assuming i go with the 180 will that be to much skimmer for the 70g?

Yes, it will be a bit much. But, it depends on your stocking level, and how much you feed. You'll likely need to skim wetter to get it to perform consistently. How long before you plan on upgrading to the 120xl?

How long before you plan on upgrading to the 120xl?

Assuming it took me 8 months to get the 70g going (and has only been up 3 months), it will be a while :)

Yes, I think the 180 would be to much for the 70g; 160 it will be.

BK in Overdrive

BK in Overdrive

My skimmer went into overdrive over the past 24 hours. It pulled out a lot of skimmate and it got a lot darker :) I'm still running it wet, but notice how much darker it is tonight compared to last night

Tonight:

DSCN3292.jpg

Last Night:

DSCN3291.jpg

Last edited:
KMP I would reccommend the MINI 160, even if you go 120 overstocked. I don't think you would get consistant performance if you went with the mini180. some reefers just go way overkill on there H&S, ATB, and BKs on there tanks but probably don't realize that they end up lacking performance and don't want to admit it. stick with the 160 and I think you will like it

thanks warren. i did read somewhere that these like to work hard (f/max performance) so the 160 it shall be. i appreciate your advice. thanks.

My system is just 2 40breeders connected together, so total water volume is probably 70 gallon with rock, sand, and sump dead space. Is the 160 mini overkill IYO?

i dont' have experience with the bk's but the 160 is rated for 50-135g. lets see what folks think.

anybody know where i can find an on-line users manual? i need to figure out what the optimal water depth is for running the 160.

thanks, that just gave me an "add to cart option" of which it would not let me "add to cart". hmmm...

perfect, KMP. it's specific to the minis. Just checked. they don't have an SM-specific manual for me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back