Bubble King Skimmer Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waxxie, I figured it wouldn't fit since I saw you said you're set on the SM200. If you're running it on your 90g, that should be plenty.

My name is T-Bone, and "I AM a Nog-A-Holic" :D

good luck with the proposal :) What's there not to love about a guy who loves fish poop? :D How can she say no?!?! :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12253137#post12253137 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
Waxxie, I figured it wouldn't fit since I saw you said you're set on the SM200. If you're running it on your 90g, that should be plenty.

My name is T-Bone, and "I AM a Nog-A-Holic" :D

good luck with the proposal :) What's there not to love about a guy who loves fish poop? :D How can she say no?!?! :lol:

Well the idea is to get a skimmer that will work well with my 90 now but still kick tail on a 180. I'm going to have to tear my tank down to redo my basement and I want to move to a 180 once that is done.

Thanks for the good luck, we've been together for 8 years so I am anticipating a yes.

if you really want the 250, then you should get it now. I have a 250 on my 180g :). for the time being, you can put the 250 in a rubbermaid container, and plumb it into your existing sump, if that's possible. check out kennettson1's pics. that's what he did.

Tbone, you don't think that the 200 would preform on a 180? My setup is looking clean (at least from the outside) I think it would be an eyesore to have a rubbermaid sitting in the middle of my basement floor. I don't have the luxury of a fish room... yet.

I wonder if I shouldn't be looking more at the deluxe 250, I'm worried it wouldn't work so good on my 90 though.

The 200 would perform great on a 200. I'd say that's a better-size skimmer for a 180g. it's rated 100-400g. I just wanted to oversize. I'm waiting for the day that the skimmer takes everything out of my tank, and it stops skimming, but so far so good :) *knock on wood*

The 200, IMO, would be a consistent performer.

The other reason I wanted a 250 is cuz I'm a tang-lover, and my tank will be full of tangs soon. I also feed quite heavy.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12253348#post12253348 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
The 200 would perform great on a 200. I'd say that's a better-size skimmer for a 180g. it's rated 100-400g. I just wanted to oversize. I'm waiting for the day that the skimmer takes everything out of my tank, and it stops skimming, but so far so good :) *knock on wood*

The 200, IMO, would be a consistent performer.

The other reason I wanted a 250 is cuz I'm a tang-lover, and my tank will be full of tangs soon. I also feed quite heavy.

I'm pretty well the same. Tough decisions. Oh well, I've got time I guess.

I paid for the 300 Deluxe Internal on Wednesday through the G__p B_y. I was in Kuwait and did it long distance! In a couple short weeks I get to join the club!

Can I run it on my 90 gallon while my 360 is being set up or is that way too small of a tank?

I wouldn't put the 300 Deluxe on a 90 even for a short while. It won't be able to skim consistently IMO (massive oversize) and during the downtimes your nutrients will build up. I've heard second hand that some people can get algae blooms during the downtimes while using oversized skimmers.

not debating your source conclusion - I used to have an oversized H&S on my system and did not enjoy the down times because it made be think that the skimmer needed tweaking - I like even-keeled skimming - but I am thinking that if one ended up with an oversized skimmer, can't they tune it down either thru less air or less water level to get the same results as a smaller skimmer and therefore not over skimming/downtime/overskimming with buildup of nitrates during downtime? However maybe the wider throat will not properly let skum build up up to get over the edge of the cup - just thinking too much. I hope my getting the 180 will not be oversized for my system...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12254490#post12254490 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Canarygirl
I wouldn't put the 300 Deluxe on a 90 even for a short while. It won't be able to skim consistently IMO (massive oversize) and during the downtimes your nutrients will build up. I've heard second hand that some people can get algae blooms during the downtimes while using oversized skimmers.

I did the exact same thing with the BM200 I used to have on my 150g system. It would slow way down and I would constantly tweak it to lower the water level or turn it back up. I'm like you, I prefer the steady-as-she-goes skimming. I don't know enough about skimmer dynamics to answer your question well on tuning the air/water intake to make it more steady but it seems like it should be doable.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12252797#post12252797 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Waxxiemann
Too Fly, thanks for the congrats ... and advice? You guys are hilarious.

Yeah. My advice to you is don't do what I did, which was accept HER proposal, backout, propose to her, ask for an "extension," and then finally elope. :lol: In hindsight, not only are things 20/20, but funny as hell. :lol: :rollface: :lol:

Uh...
scratch1.gif
yikes1.gif
outta20here1.gif

Bart, still :D ? ;)

which bk would you guys recommend for a 70g (current tank) with a 120g upgrade in the future? i read these skimmers like to work hard, so i'm thinking the bk mini 160 is the answer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12258023#post12258023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Waxxiemann
Yeah, TOO FLY, I figure I had better pull the trigger before I'm in the same boat ;)

Make sure you two elope and you'll be fine. ;) Think of all the reef stuff you could get with that wedding money. :D :rollface:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12258242#post12258242 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Waxxiemann
don't worry, my reef is always my ulterior motive :cool:

J/K .... ?;)

Naw, she wants the whole big wedding deal.

Mine did too. We were going ahead with the original plans when my wife said, "hey, I hear it's easy to elope in Bermuda." This was as we were planning a trip there. I wasn't really paying attention at the time (I was on the puter) when I said "yeah, sure honey." The rest is history. I think at times she wishes she had the storybook wedding. But we both agree it was nice saving her parents $30K+ for the wedding.

My brother and his wife were in the 30K range for their relatively small wedding. They both admit they wish they used the money for something else. But I can understand why many women want the traditional wedding. It's programmed into them from day one. ;) Oops. Did I say that? :D

I would like in for a BK mini 160 shipped to 20175. I am actually torn b/w the 160 and 180 but not knowing prices is making it hard to make my decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back