Bubble King Skimmer Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a new BK Supermarine 250 two weeks ago from my local fish store in Stockholm, Sweden. However, I have not been able to put it into real life operation in my tank yet, as my new and bigger sump has not yet been delivered.

Eager as I am to test the new skimmer, I have tested it using tap water in the bath tub, see pictures below. I note that the bubbles are not nearly as fine as the ones in your beautiful pictures earlier in the thread.

Are there significant differences in skimmer efficiency between running it in tap water as opposed to salt water, or should I be worried that my skimmer is not working properly?

80798IMG_5706s.JPG

80798IMG_5706ss.JPG

Yes, you will not get the bubbles in tap water as you do in salt water. Your skimmer is working fine.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12261335#post12261335 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Maximus
Yes, you will not get the bubbles in tap water as you do in salt water. Your skimmer is working fine.

Thanks, Maximus, that was reassuring!

Is there a logical explanation for this effect, or is it "just the way it is"?

Varglo, in addition to the saltwater density factor, there is also the factor that your test water does not have any waste proteins in it to make is "sticky." You will get much finer bubble production in some dirty saltwater. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12261739#post12261739 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
Paul, I did nothin wrong. read my post again ;)

Yeah, but the set-up was there. You know better than that young man. ;)

Yeah, Terry. At the last second I decided to switch from the Supermarine to the 250 Deluxe Internal. My last two skimmers were brand new designs and this time I wanted to go with a tried and true design. ;) This will go on my new 240 gallon reef tank, with total net volume of around 300-325 gallons. I can't wait to see it! :D

that's a conservative, buy smart move! Deluxe 250 was my 1st choice as well for the same reason - tried and true.

Can't wait to see pics of yours set up :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12262591#post12262591 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Canarygirl
Yeah, Terry. At the last second I decided to switch from the Supermarine to the 250 Deluxe Internal. My last two skimmers were brand new designs and this time I wanted to go with a tried and true design. ;) This will go on my new 240 gallon reef tank, with total net volume of around 300-325 gallons. I can't wait to see it! :D

That was my reasoning as well. I went with the 250 deluxe also.
Its impressive when you get it, and the build quality of BK is nothing short of a work of art. :)

Now you guys are making me regret not building a new sump :(
I tried to sell my current sump so that I could order a deluxe, but had no takers. the Deluxe's collection cup is too tall for me.

Nothing wrong with the SM for sure. It looks like a great skimmer, and is working great for you.
You shouldnt regret anything, It is paying off for you. The SM is what put the bug in me for buying a bk. So if they didnt get the SM line up i probably would have went with a ATI 300.
I switched last minute for the deluxe. LOL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12262665#post12262665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
Now you guys are making me regret not building a new sump :(
I tried to sell my current sump so that I could order a deluxe, but had no takers. the Deluxe's collection cup is too tall for me.

Time to go external :lol:

Oldtimer, that's even less of an option. My tank is in the kitchen, sandwiched between 2 pantries. All my equipment has to go under the stand.

Creetin's right. My SM is skimming like a beast, and besides, "my pump's bigger than yours" :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12265137#post12265137 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
Oldtimer, that's even less of an option. My tank is in the kitchen, sandwiched between 2 pantries. All my equipment has to go under the stand.

Creetin's right. My SM is skimming like a beast, and besides, "my pump's bigger than yours" :D

yeah your nog looks insane tbone, especially for just recently getting it online...Glad to be joining you in the SM club - just placed my order!~

Awesome, Graf-X! We'll start our own, SM owners club. LOL. This thread will be dominated by Deluxe owners. Speaking of skimming like a beast, my skimmer is getting better as the week is progressing. The nog is even darker tonight.

I'm not sure if it's because I've added a few fish lately, so my bioload is higher or if it's because I opened up the pump's intake another revolution

My observations:
1) When I was running dry, nog production decreased over the week, but nog was consistently dark and stinky
2) When running wet and with the intake nozzle opened 2 revolutions, the nog got darker over the week. However, nog production stayed consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back