Bubble- Magus skimmer has arrived

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12327614#post12327614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by walmart
Any picture updates?
pictures of what? My pump not working:D I posted sum pictures of my skimmer in action, a few pages back.

I solved the problem. I took the skimmer apart for the 4 th time to give it one last try. I noticed that the needle wheel impeller barely fit in where it goes. I also noticed that the cover that goes on the impeller had some seams that were kinda rough. So when the pump was turned on it would basically get stuck on the seam. So I just took a razor blade and made the cover really smooth. Threw in in a bucket of water and whoala it ran like a champ. It kicked my *** for like a week but like always I prevailed again. Thanx for the help Luke. I'll report when it starts skimming again since it will run in a constant water level. I finally got the ATO finished so I expect a lot better results from my skimmer.

GUILLO1,

so, any picture to show how the performance of yours? my BM250S is not constant in performance...depends on water-level..overall quite happy with it...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12405689#post12405689 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wlchew
GUILLO1,

so, any picture to show how the performance of yours? my BM250S is not constant in performance...depends on water-level..overall quite happy with it...
I totally agree with you. When I first got and was getting really good gunk, I was having to constantly adjust it. That is why I decided to set up an ATO. So I set up my ATO and I decided to try raising the level of the water but I could not get good results. I've now lowered the water level to where I had it originally and I hope it kicks in again. I'll let you know how it does and what my water level is.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12405922#post12405922 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Your water level has to stay constant for them to work. If it doesn't you'll have problems.
Yea Luke, I guess that applies to all skimmers and it makes sense. On mine I tried higher water levels and it just would not work like when I first got it. I'll measure my level water level tomorrow to see what you think Luke.

edit...The reason I think it will work better in low water level is because the pump IMO is very weak. It it was another more powerful pump than I could probably raise the level more. We will see it my theory is right in a few days.

Last edited:
Yep, that goes for any nw skimmer, has to be in a constant water or its finicky. And yes, the VA pump's don't handle backpressure or head well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12406083#post12406083 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Yep, that goes for any nw skimmer, has to be in a constant water or its finicky. And yes, the VA pump's don't handle backpressure or head well.

Hmm...my recirculating G3 does not have issues with water level. Low or high it performs the same, and I don't have to constantly adjust the foam level. Non recirculating NW skimmers are more sensitive to water level IMO.

Ok Luke...and I agree...it was the "Yep, that goes for any nw skimmer, has to be in a constant water or its finicky." that threw me. I know you recirc your skimmers and would have been surprised if you had fluctuation issues. :)

Thats why i actually recirc all my skimmers too, as my sump level rises and falls daily so this way no worries, that and the whole more dwell time thing. : )

Off Topic somewhat but my ASM has performed like a champ. One way around the low air capacity of the Sedra is to feed with a NW pump. I feed mine with a GenX 1500 that is meshed and that one simple mod has worked miracles on the G3. I have to cut back on the air supplied to the GenX which has an aggressive venturi on the suction side. I have been able to tune it to perfection. The venturi was made by Kentrob11 for this pump and pulls a lot of air. I wish I had an air meter...I can flood the body of the G3 with bubbles. :D

Are you using a genx4100, if you they will do a good 40-45scfh. I like there performance but unfortunately they rust up badly after a while, unless you run them external, but they are kinda noisy. But i like the fact they perform well and there's no start up issues every. Pricewise they cheapest performing pump's you can get are the genx (most expensive), eco plus(middle) and the odyssea wp1000(cheapest) The gen x 4100, eco 1057 and wp1000 are all similar and will all do the 40scfh, but the wp1000 is the only one that won't rust.

The feed pump is a GenX1500 and the end is sealed correctly...epoxy is perfect and has never rusted. The main recirc pump is a Sedra 5000 in stock NW form, though the venturi has been drilled out a little and a second venturi tube added for the ozone. The entire body is milk white with very small bubbles that fill the entire body save for about a half inch. Like any skimmer...it has a sweet spot for the amount of air it needs to perform at peak. It just took some time to find the sweet spot on the G3.

BM100

BM100

Mine is the BM100.

Here is two days skimmate:

day2.jpg

four days

day4.jpg

six days

day6.jpg

half day after the cup cleaned

day1.jpg

Love this skimmer. Very quiet. Very efficient.

Wow...that looks really nice.
Did you mod this skimmer in any way or is it stock?? LOL...it almost sounds like if I'm asking about a car.

Back