couple plumbing things needed

john37

Super Rad Member
Premium Member
things i need:
- 2" true union ball valve slip or threaded.
- 2" pvc piping, only need like 1 foot.

BTW, how do you guys cut 1.5" or 2" piping? My cutters only cut 1" or less.

I second that, can't beat a good o'le hand saw. sounds like you're working on some serious flow in that tank :D me likes!

problem:
i got (2) 1.5" bulkheads for the overflow w/the gasket side being threaded and the nut side being slip. But, i need the threaded side to be on the bottom(outside the overflow) because the piping that fits into the bulkhead, which leads into the sump, is threaded.
question:
if i put the nut side in the overflow and the gasket side on the outside part of the overflow is it more likely to leak?
if you cant picture it the bulkhead usually looks like this --> T but i need to put it upside down.

i hope i make sense.

hehe, ah yes PVC talk, my true love :D

Be careful when you buy a true union 2" ballvalve, I bought one from ace for $50 and the union could not be opened with water in the sump. Not sure if this is typical or just an old design but I ended up not using it as a union, just a ballvalve! The problem was that when you opened the union, the ball part inside did not block the water fully, it was a loose fit so it leaked horribly.

I use extra large pvc cutters for 2" pvc, a simple hand saw and miter box would be fine, just not as fast as cutters. The cutters are 2-3 feet in length and look like a giant version of the normal cutters.

~Charles~

The bulkhead will work in either direction, but be sure that the gasket is always on the flange side; in this case it will be on the outside but should seal just fine. I usually use a second gasket just as extra reasurance...in other words, one against the gasket and one against the nut.

oh another thing, should i use stockman or durso standpipes?
anyone got a link or instructions. I have tigahboy's stockman standpipe picture.

I usually go through the plumbing isle (sink/vanity drains, etc.) and find a gasket that will work that is approximately the same diameter.
I don't use standpipes myself but there are plenty of designs out there if you do a search. I crank up the flow whereas air isn't allowed to flow into the drain and it silences my system perfectly

69882_Inch_Union_Ball_Valve.JPG

look in the plumbing aisle of lowe's they have gaskets I use the rubber gaskets that are made for toilets they have a tapered ridge on them so some of the gasket will actually fit inside the hole in the bulkhead and give you a completely watertight seal.

Back