d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Dennis

New build looking great as per usual!

I am guessing your sump is going to be red/white combo? You gave it away on the profilux shelves!

I gotta stop looking at this thread, keeps making me want to redo my own gear, your attention to detail certainly raises the bar!
Looks great!
LOL, thanks! :)

No kidding!
Time to rip it all out and start again!
:D

Looking good!

I'm guessing the tank is diamond line and not the regular one?
Yes, as far as I know it's one of the very first of the new Diamond line to hit US shores.

Also - how did you attach the shelfing to the stand? nail, wood glue, etc? Would love to see how you did that becaues it is hidden from the eye and makes the stand look good.
4 small Kreg jig screws hold it to the ceiling of the stand.

I think me and u might b thinking the same on color scheme. Where did u get the red acrylic?
You, I and like 50% of all other custom builds. lol :p
The red was from a leftover scrap.

Dennis you are so damn sharp! Can't wait to this live
Thanks! :)

After doing a double take on those super-sharp looking pics it hit me the tank isn't even wet yet. �� I've been so enamored by the quality of your build it didn't even hit me that it's still dry!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
hahaha, nope... sump is still in progress but maybe I can start some plumbing next weekend.

Dennis

New build looking great as per usual!

I am guessing your sump is going to be red/white combo? You gave it away on the profilux shelves!
2ad07c90-576b-492f-ba36-0b10afe7c0a7.jpg

Damn Dennis, Looking at your system I'm getting excited about finishing mine. Its so hard waiting on everything to get completed... waiting on my stand to get finished, waiting on my sump to be completed, waiting on doors to be completed...... a lot of waiting. But good things come to those who wait.

Dennis you have raised the bar once again! I am also curious to see how you plumb this build. As I understand it there are one return and one exhaust on the Elos tanks? With the ability to valve/adjust the amount of water at the overflow inside the tank you have even more options to keep things simple. Either way, I am sure you already have this figured out and I am really looking forward to adopting (or just straight up copying :)) for my Elos build.

Damn Dennis, Looking at your system I'm getting excited about finishing mine. Its so hard waiting on everything to get completed... waiting on my stand to get finished, waiting on my sump to be completed, waiting on doors to be completed...... a lot of waiting. But good things come to those who wait.
Yep, so much waiting. lol

Dennis you have raised the bar once again! I am also curious to see how you plumb this build. As I understand it there are one return and one exhaust on the Elos tanks? With the ability to valve/adjust the amount of water at the overflow inside the tank you have even more options to keep things simple. Either way, I am sure you already have this figured out and I am really looking forward to adopting (or just straight up copying :)) for my Elos build.
Thanks!
Yes, just the two lines so should be pretty simple.
After my last build, I can't believe how LITTLE plumbing I need for this one. :D

Yep, so much waiting. lol

Thanks!
Yes, just the two lines so should be pretty simple.
After my last build, I can't believe how LITTLE plumbing I need for this one. :D

Don't you wish there was a way to have the return nozzle move side to side on its own? I'm running a ton of flow on my Midi and imagine it would be better to have alternating flow rather than a single jet of water.

Isn't that the purpose of Sea Swirls?
I run 2 on the back of mine.

Yes, and I own sea swirls, but I wouldn't use them on this tank.
It would destroy the clean look of the tank.
I loved them on my 200g with canopy though!

I talked to Nicola at Elos this morning and will be employing the lower return pipe. Long story short, there is no worry about back siphoning to the sump.
Utilizing this return will allow me to direct water to a different part of the tank, it should stay mostly hidden behind the rock, and it will take away some of the strong, direct return flow from the upper output.

Yes, and I own sea swirls, but I wouldn't use them on this tank.
It would destroy the clean look of the tank.
I loved them on my 200g with canopy though!

I talked to Nicola at Elos this morning and will be employing the lower return pipe. Long story short, there is no worry about back siphoning to the sump.
Utilizing this return will allow me to direct water to a different part of the tank, it should stay mostly hidden behind the rock, and it will take away some of the strong, direct return flow from the upper output.

That's a hell of a voodoo overflow and return system they have going on there.

Dennis, how is it that there is no worry of back siphoning? I am very intrigued by this concept.

Corey

The main and secondary returns are connected together.
There is an anti-siphon hole in the plumbing and once air gets into the main, they are both getting air. So no siphon.

ANOTHER NEW TOY ARRIVED. :D

I'm putting this bad boy over my refugium in my sump.
Mars Hydro 300. $99 on Amazon.
It's a full spectrum grow light. 300w.
Should be good for most macros, not just chaeto.
And from what I hear, it blows away the HPS light I was using over my previous refugium. :eek2:
Visually it has a real pink look.

i-zg874KM.jpg

i-NjDFZfg.jpg

i-SvCKGwg.jpg

i-zcF4s95.jpg

51GxD4x79YL._SL1000_.jpg

:lolspin: Ha, as if the blue light emanating from the lights of our tanks aren't enough, you go and buy hydro grow lights. You're on a list somewhere now for sure.

:thumbsup:

LOL! Yeah I turned them on and my entire living room glowed magenta. :D

Thankfully my stand has doors. ;)

Come to Colorado... No lists here... :)

Amazing build.. Followed your last one too! Keep it up! This is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back