DanW's 187 SPS Dominated Reef Journal

I have a couple of questions as I am going to get a tank made myself. What is preventing your tank from overflowing the sump in the case of a power outage? It seems as though your return line is far enough down to drain quite a bit of water from your tank. Please let me know. I love the way it is set up, and I would love to do something exactly like that, but I do not see how it doesn't drain quite a bit of water from the tank. Also, how many drain lines do you have in your overflow? 2? What size holes are they and what size hole is your return from the sump? This is by far one of my favorite tanks. Thank you so much. =)

I have a couple of questions as I am going to get a tank made myself. What is preventing your tank from overflowing the sump in the case of a power outage? It seems as though your return line is far enough down to drain quite a bit of water from your tank. Please let me know. I love the way it is set up, and I would love to do something exactly like that, but I do not see how it doesn't drain quite a bit of water from the tank. Also, how many drain lines do you have in your overflow? 2? What size holes are they and what size hole is your return from the sump? This is by far one of my favorite tanks. Thank you so much. =)

Thank you for the kind words :eek: (Are you sure you're posting on the right thread? :confused:) Anyway my return line has a small hole drilled on the top/side of the Loc-line that will break the siphon should the power go out however still quite a bit of water will drain. I've tested and marked lines in my sump so I know that during a power outage there's enough room in my sump to contain all of the water that will drain from the display. If I had a canopy I probably would have ran the return line over the back of the tank with a siphon break so that there would be no drainage at all. I really liked (wanted) the pendant look so that nixed that idea because I thought that it would look odd with the return lines sticking up. I have two holes in my overflow one that accommodates a 2" bulkhead (drain) and the other that uses a ¾" (return). HTH, thanks for posting and feel free to ask any questions, I'll help in any way I can. Good luck with your build, please let me know if/when you start your thread :D

Yes, I posted in the right thread! :rollface: Your tank has been through some hard times I see, but it is absolutely beautiful. The design is amazing.

How much water ends up draining into your sump? I am not sure how to design mine. I was thinking of having 2 drain lines in the overflow and then 1 return line. Do you think coming up from the overflow for the return would work? Not on the side like yours because my sump is not going to be as big as yours. I have a 40 gallon breeder I was going to use and possibly another 20 gallon refugium. I really like the way yours looks, but I do not think my sump would be able to handle it. My tank size measurements were going to be 68X24X24. I'd love to do a 30 inch wide tank, but I cannot find a place to build a stand and canopy that wide. Any suggestions? =)

Justin Verlander league leading 269 strike out..... enough said!
74 wins and 88 losses, 14 1/2 games behind the wost division winner. Well at least they were better than the lowly Royals...ah never mind :p

I was also wondering if you notice a difference with clarity in the Starphire vs regular glass?
Whoa tricky question. I **think** I do but I'm biased. I rationalized the decision to go Starphire because I didn't want to look back and say "œI shoulda"¦" It was a little more expensive but I'm hoping that this will be my last upgrade plus if (when) I ever got out it would be a good selling point. (See rationalizing again.)

Ok. That is good to know. What do you guys think of my above questions?

Yes, I posted in the right thread! Your tank has been through some hard times I see, but it is absolutely beautiful. The design is amazing.

How much water ends up draining into your sump? I am not sure how to design mine. I was thinking of having 2 drain lines in the overflow and then 1 return line. Do you think coming up from the overflow for the return would work? Not on the side like yours because my sump is not going to be as big as yours. I have a 40 gallon breeder I was going to use and possibly another 20 gallon refugium. I really like the way yours looks, but I do not think my sump would be able to handle it. My tank size measurements were going to be 68X24X24. I'd love to do a 30 inch wide tank, but I cannot find a place to build a stand and canopy that wide. Any suggestions? =)

74 wins and 88 losses, 14 1/2 games behind the wost division winner. Well at least they were better than the lowly Royals...ah never mind :p

Didn't the Tigers lose to the the Twins in a play in game. One of the best games ever. And the Twins lost to the Yankee's. Either way the bullpen is much improved and I expect big things this year.

Ok. That is good to know. What do you guys think of my above questions?

Yes, I posted in the right thread! Your tank has been through some hard times I see, but it is absolutely beautiful. The design is amazing.

I'd have to calculate the amount of water but a rough guess would be 30 gallons drains when the power is off. You can absolutely run the return line up the overflow and over (I assume) the overflow wall. Make sure the overflow box is big enough to fit the stuff you need in there (assuming that you'll put some sort of silencer on both drains and the return line). Since you're going with a canopy why not just run it behind the tank and over the back? Two drains are always better than one for sure just be sure to size'em (oversize'em) to your return pump to keep them quiet. Having a hard time finding a stand built? Maybe one of the guys here knows of someone near Spokane that builds stands. My tank and stand were built by Lee-Mar. Check with your tank builder to see if they have any recommendations and make sure to check the tank warranty. Lee-Mar told me that they would only honor the warranty if the stand was made by a company that "œprofessionally built aquarium stands". Note on the stand, I would highly recommend a side door, wished I had one.

Didn't the Tigers lose to the the Twins in a play in game. One of the best games ever. And the Twins lost to the Yankee's. Either way the bullpen is much improved and I expect big things this year.
Sorry Brian, I don't know what I was looking at...your right. I don't follow the Junior Circuit much, go to a few Angel games every year but only to take the kids for ball park food and snacks. The Tigers actually look pretty tough but the loss of Granderson is gonna hurt.

So I finally stumbled across your thread yesterday while trying to avoid working and I'm only to page 12 now and have 39 pages to go yet. I'm going to tackle it in stages so my eyes don't get too dry ;) I must say you have the green thumb for acro's and I'm so jealous of your growth. I'll comment more when I get further, but your tank looks great so far!

So I finally stumbled across your thread yesterday while trying to avoid working and I'm only to page 12 now and have 39 pages to go yet. I'm going to tackle it in stages so my eyes don't get too dry ;) I must say you have the green thumb for acro's and I'm so jealous of your growth. I'll comment more when I get further, but your tank looks great so far!
Thanks for stopping by Sara. I showed my wife some of the photos from your thread last night...she told me I have fish room envy. (I added that I also have garage envy :lol:) Anyway, not much in this thread just pretty much the same cast of characters doing this :hammer: to me and trying to get me to put an angel in the display :sleep:

Did Barry Zito actually win?? :rollface:
You know...blind squirrel...acorn. No actually he has done well since the second half of last season (so Poletti informs me). I read an article where he was trying to be a "top of the rotation" guy and will not settle for less. As long as either Lincecum or Cain is there he'll never be a #1 again. (And going to another team will won't happen until his contract expires or the Giants eat his crazy salary.)

Thanks for stopping by Sara. I showed my wife some of the photos from your thread last night...she told me I have fish room envy. (I added that I also have garage envy :lol:) Anyway, not much in this thread just pretty much the same cast of characters doing this :hammer: to me and trying to get me to put an angel in the display :sleep:

So I'm up to page 31 as of now. Hope you beat your acro issues ... I guess I'll find that out soon.

Yes, I see a familiar cast of characters on your thread as well ... I'm getting the angel push too ;) I figured it should count having a Bellus that ate corals, but apparently it's not the same to them!:fish2:

I do love my fishroom, thanks! Speaking of garage envy ... the one in the pics is not the only one on the property :hammer:

Back