DanW's 187 SPS Dominated Reef Journal

I was using the 250 watt Galaxies but switched to the selectable versions recently and have done the 400's and now back to 250 in HQI mode till GHA clears. I may stick with it depending what my corals do or not. I'm running the Radium's of course too...
Dave do you see a difference between 250 and HQI?

Dave do you see a difference between 250 and HQI?

The 250's on the HQI setting are almost as bright as the 400's I had going on them. Definitely brighter than the straight 250w setting!~

Silly me though, I didn't do a side by side comparison and I can do it easy enough with these snazzy switchable ballasts. I can tell you there is a big difference between the regular 400w setting and the "Turbo" setting that's an option for the 400's. I liked the 400's (Radium's mind you) on just the regular 400w setting vs. the Turbo.

I'll do a side by side on the 250's and let you know for sure. But knowing what they looked like before and seeing them now I can tell HQI is definitely gonna be brighter. Pushes it like a M80(I believe?) ballast is supposed too, like the Blue Wave 7's....

Selectable Wattage Ballast Comparison

Ok, I've done a side by side and the HQI setting is definitely brighter & crisper (not as blue) as the normal 250w setting. Another thing I noticed is that when powering up on the regular 250w setting the Radium starts out very yellow and takes about 60 seconds or more until it warms up and looks normal. On the HQI setting the time it takes to warm up and go right into normal appearance is drastically reduced and there isn't the huge color shift you get in the regular 250w setting.

Hope this helps....

Selectable Wattage Ballast Comparison

Ok, I've done a side by side and the HQI setting is definitely brighter & crisper (not as blue) as the normal 250w setting. Another thing I noticed is that when powering up on the regular 250w setting the Radium starts out very yellow and takes about 60 seconds or more until it warms up and looks normal. On the HQI setting the time it takes to warm up and go right into normal appearance is drastically reduced and there isn't the huge color shift you get in the regular 250w setting.

Hope this helps....
Thanks for the report Dave. Gotta think this through but likely gonna pick these up.

Scoly2.jpg

Very nice Dan, I guess this corals means no angels in the near future :sad1:.

Very nice Dan, I guess this corals means no angels in the near future :sad1:.
Thanks Brian, yup not ready to be a real reefer yet. Perhaps when the time comes (if the time comes) I can trade it for an angel :idea:

Hey Ramzy. 3:33 AM dude! Whole lota drama over there, huh? Unbelieveable! My OT was added April 08 as a 1 1/2" frag and has been cut several times. Weird thing is that over the last 4 mos or so the color has lightened :confused: I'll try to get a shot of it up soon.

Yeah reef drama is always entertaining though :lol:
I look forward to seeing that OT colony picture

Dan I recommend going with 400w Radiums instead :D
I love the growth & color I get from these bulbs.
I wouldn't mind trying 400s but I'm concerned with the heat. I don't run a chiller and during the summer my tank gets up to 81+ (then halides turn off).

Cool pictures Dan! Your coral and photo taking skills are both looking nice. Any pictures of the Simplex for us to see yet? Show us that it is real

Dan - Have you been to Vivid Aquariums? Feedback? I'm browsing their website now, and see some goodies I like :love2:

Cool pictures Dan! Your coral and photo taking skills are both looking nice. Any pictures of the Simplex for us to see yet? Show us that it is real
Thanks Ryan. I've not taken pictures but it looks like a brown rock at the moment.

Dan - Have you been to Vivid Aquariums? Feedback? I'm browsing their website now, and see some goodies I like :love2:
Hey Terry, I've not been to Vivid...yet. It's about an hour away (with no traffic) on the other side of LA, so there's always traffic. I've heard good things about them though. What are you interested in?

Back