Defining the "perfect" onyx percula

percula_onyx.jpg

I am shocked no one has listed the color of the belly as the criteria for the perfect Onyx. Try finding an Onyx with black belly between the first and second stripe and you'll see how few there is. Of course the black belly is just one of the features, but I believe it's the first on the list as everything else follows once the belly is black.

Two days ago I purchased my first pair of Premium Onyx (at least to me). I will post pictures once they acclaim better.

This is a premium Onyx from SA:

onyx18left_copy.jpg

The face looks a bit deformed to me. Has the bulldog snout. Could be the angle of the photo. As for the eyes, I'd expect to see more black, but I'm guessing the redness could be a result of the flash.

I have a theory that the melanism we see in the darwin islands is to keep fish in these cold waters warmer.. i just pulled that outa my a$$ though

I like that.:thumbsup: You may have just pulled it out of your bum, but it is a very logical explanation. One that I've never thought of before.

Here's my wild caught male (seller said from SI, but I think maybe PNG instead?) from about five years ago:
newmale1_edited-1.jpg

And here he is today, tending the brood:
Papa3-11-12.jpg

Solid black belly, BTW

Back