Difficult and Special Care Species List

Are fairy and flasher wrasse still considered for experienced aquarists only? I've only been in the hobby about a year but I've found these pretty easy. I have 3 flashers and two fairies and they all ate within a couple of hours of acclimation and have thrived so far.

I may have been fortunated with angels as well as my flameback angel and Watanabie were not really hard to acclimate.

Was I lucky are thoughts changing with these species?

I'm with you H.Reid.MN-
I currently have a Singapore Angel, which is considered by most as a fish guaranteed to die in captivty, in a system with a Flame and Flame Back Angel. The Singapore, in my experience, was a breeze to acclimate, and has even became more lively. I am not saying that they're are not difficult fish to assimilate into captivity, just saying that you need to start with a good solid foundation e.i. reputable LFS.

Mahalo!

I must say that the easiest fish for me was a female Lamarck's Angel- she flew out of QT and into my reef without a hitch and now she's as happy as can be. The most difficult fish was a scissor- tail goby that I could never get to fatten up... so you never know :confused:

Fantastic thread. I will review much later and thank goodness for search! One addition, which of course doesn't a conclusion make.

Ribbon Eels: In an earlier tank, 65 gallon, 2" sand, some live rock and coral, I kept a Black Ribbon Eel successfully by hand feeding it. They have very poor vision and need help. I manufactured a feeding stick by siliconing a blunted pin into the end of some rigid plastic tubing. Fed 1x per day a portion of shrimp or scallop or squid tentacle that I had previously soaked with vitamins. Stab the food onto the end of the pin. Put it in front of the eel and maybe wiggle it a bit and shortly it will take it. The eel will never get enough food without your help every day in an average tank.

Also escaped once and was lucky that my wife said, "What's that on the floor?" Very hard to pick up!

Are fairy and flasher wrasse still considered for experienced aquarists only? I've only been in the hobby about a year but I've found these pretty easy. I have 3 flashers and two fairies and they all ate within a couple of hours of acclimation and have thrived so far.

I agree, they are really easy/hardy provided they get multiple feedings a day and the tank is covered.

Difficult and Special Care Species List

I had a potters. Did fine for a few years till it just disappeared.

I wonder why aquarium stores don't post warnings on tanks with venomous fish? You know some people rush into saltwater without researching and and see a pretty fish and have to have it right now. Isn't it a liability to them if somebody winds up in the hospital with a swollen hand and they try to accuse the store of not telling them it was venomous?

I wonder why aquarium stores don't post warnings on tanks with venomous fish? You know some people rush into saltwater without researching and and see a pretty fish and have to have it right now. Isn't it a liability to them if somebody winds up in the hospital with a swollen hand and they try to accuse the store of not telling them it was venomous?
you assume the staff have expertise and knowledge on what they sell....many do not

Isn't it a liability to them if somebody winds up in the hospital with a swollen hand and they try to accuse the store of not telling them it was venomous?[/QUOTE]

You purchase the animal you assume the liability. You can purchase a blue ring octopus and if you get bit you get to deal with the reprocussions, not who sold it to you. It like going and buying a crotch rocket or sports car then kill yourself, it hardly the dealerships fault you were reckless

You purchase the animal you assume the liability. You can purchase a blue ring octopus and if you get bit you get to deal with the reprocussions, not who sold it to you. It like going and buying a crotch rocket or sports car then kill yourself, it hardly the dealerships fault you were reckless

I agree with your statements but wouldn't it be nice if a little education came with the fish?

I bought a Foxface. Got it before the LFS had unbagged it. Bag from wholesaler had a warning sticker on it about a venomous fish. I guess it might be expecting too much for the LFS to actually READ, UNDERSTAND and explain the sticker to the customer.

As always, Caveat Emptor.

I don't remember how long this guy (or girl) has been in my reef but he seems reef safe. I have no idea what it is eating but it is certainly not my corals and I never noticed any scratches on my refrigerator so I know he doesn't raid that when I am not looking. I think he was as large as a quarter when I got him, but now he is about as large as a cantelope. My belly is full of the spines from these things from snorkeling or diving over them. Like here in Hawaii.

But they are not poisonous, not this one anyway, Some of them are. And you can not remove the spines, you just live with them like a Man.
This one is mine, his name is Rocky, or Sally

It's funny how one person can have problems with some fish but not others, yet another aquarist have exactly the opposite experience. I have been able to keep Lemon-Peel and Potters Angels with no problems at all, and have a very good success rate with Leopard Wrasses; yet I cannot keep a Naso Tang to save my life. Go figure!

Wow, interesting reading................... so................are there any fish that you can have in a home marine aquarium? Sorry, not trying to be a wise guy but my gosh, that list pretty much rules out 90% of the Marine species suitable to be kept in a glass box........... I'm new to the hobby and seeing this makes me think I made a $1,500.00 mistake with a Fusion 40, Kessil A350, Ecotech MP10ES, and all the other fixings.

I have been able to keep Lemon-Peel and Potters Angels with no problems at all, and have a very good success rate with Leopard Wrasses; yet I cannot keep a Naso Tang to save my life. Go figure!

Thats so unusual. I can also keep those but have big problems with manta rays

Wow, interesting reading................... so................are there any fish that you can have in a home marine aquarium? Sorry, not trying to be a wise guy but my gosh, that list pretty much rules out 90% of the Marine species suitable to be kept in a glass box........... I'm new to the hobby and seeing this makes me think I made a $1,500.00 mistake with a Fusion 40, Kessil A350, Ecotech MP10ES, and all the other fixings.

Found the below post on page one of this thread. Hope it helps...

Not quite what you're looking for but here's another list I made.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1158122

Back