DIY Stands Template and Calculator

Rocket I built a stand for my in wall 150 tall. 48X24X30. The frame is 2X4's resting on 4X4's with braces in the middle of the 48". I have added a pic. The tank is empty right now but are the 2X4's acceptable, I just read the thread but when I built it wasn't concerned since most store stands use 1X's.
Tank back.jpg

I'm starting my stand on sun and had a quick question. I'm going to use pocket holes and was wondering if I needed to screw the two pink pieces together or just screw them to the red and orange separately

I started my tank stand build used Rocket Engineer's design on page 100, I did not use the green screw plates. I used pocket holes and glue , in addition I have not installed the blue cross piece on the top box, are the 2 items I left off ok?
Now onto the skinning! Thanks again to Rocket and all others on this thread who have fantastic insight and knowledge. I'll post finished product!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 0
Does the beige color represent a 4x4 post?

If yes, will your 180g be sitting on the post?

I confused the issue by adding the beige contrast. I would like to move the purple uprights 9 inches away from the corner, on just the front corners of the stand. The following picture better represents what I would like to do.

stand02_zps43d563c1.png

Thanks for replying.

I confused the issue by adding the beige contrast. I would like to move the purple uprights 9 inches away from the corner, on just the front corners of the stand. The following picture better represents what I would like to do.

stand02_zps43d563c1.png

Thanks for replying.

OK, that makes a lot more sense.

I don't see a big issue but I'm wondering why. What is the goal you are trying to achieve? It will help to know that in providing a better answer.

OK, that makes a lot more sense.

I don't see a big issue but I'm wondering why. What is the goal you are trying to achieve? It will help to know that in providing a better answer.

My wife found two resin mermaid statues she would like me to incorporate into the stand or canopy if at all possible. The statues are 15" tall and 9" wide.
I thought it would be easier to incorporate them into the base as my LED canopy is only 2.75" thick and 9" above the water.

This will give you a rough idea of what I had in mind.
stand7_zpsb88893db.png

If supporting the tank is not an issue, the biggest issue I can foresee with adding the statues will be the real estate they take up under the stand.

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been covered already (I skimmed the thread and did a search on various terms):

How should I go about this when the display and the sump are the same width and length? I have a 29 display (30"x12") and a 20L sump (30"x12"). I also need to care for being able to fit the sump into it, and remove it if necessary. I was thinking reds would be 37.5", such that when placing the 2x4 purples, I would have a smidge over 30" as an opening.

I plan to have a middle purple in front for support, but my concern here is that there will be no support beams directly under the 29 in the back. Any advice on the best way to tackle this one?

Thanks in advance!

quick question: would it OK to build a stand that is larger than the tank?
Especially if the tank sits on a plywood top, but not directly over the entire stand frame.

Hey Mr. RocketEngineer. I am building a stand for my 250 gallon deep dimension tank. It is 5'wide 3' deep and 28" tall. I would like to span the entire 5 feet. What size lumber would you use? What if I were to put a center brace in it? I would like to thank you before hand and I appreciate all the time that you have put in on this thread.

quick question: would it OK to build a stand that is larger than the tank?
Especially if the tank sits on a plywood top, but not directly over the entire stand frame.

That's generally a bad idea. You are relying on the strength of the plywood in its weakest direction.

Hey Mr. RocketEngineer. I am building a stand for my 250 gallon deep dimension tank. It is 5'wide 3' deep and 28" tall. I would like to span the entire 5 feet. What size lumber would you use? What if I were to put a center brace in it? I would like to thank you before hand and I appreciate all the time that you have put in on this thread.

No center brace: 2X8 (due to setup weight with 36" width and 28" height). Center brace: 2X4 because you only have 24.75" unsupported at most.

Is it possible to build a stand for a 150 tall without braces running across the bottom at least in the front? in the front and back? I am thinking of putting my sump and equipment on wheels so it will roll out from under the stand.

Stand height question

Stand height question

Hello rocket and everyone!

This thread is so helpful thank you so much for all of the time and effort involved!

I have a question about the height of the stand I want to build.

I am ordering a 24x15x24 tank to start keeping seahorses, the other furniture in the room is 35" tall. Would this be too tall to build my stand? I have some large dogs so I am a bit concerned that the stand may be knocked into pretty forcefully and the tank might fall forward.

Thanks for any advice!! :beer:

If there is a gap between the frame of the tank and the plywood top can you put an epoxy or filler on it then sand it down to make it level?

If there is a gap between the frame of the tank and the plywood top can you put an epoxy or filler on it then sand it down to make it level?

Yes, you can use filler such as an epoxy to level it some. You don't really want to do a lot of leveling this way, but I used an auto body fiberglass filler on mine and it worked great to help get things a little more level in a couple of small areas.

Cheers,
Alex

Here is mine, its for a 220,,I still need to skin it all the way around. Everything was pocket holed and glued together.

IMAG0463.jpg

IMAG0462.jpg

IMAG0467.jpg

IMAG0473.jpg

IMAG0470.jpg

IMAG0478.jpg

IMAG0479.jpg

I love that Kreg Jig

Hi guys,

I'm from South Africa, so we don't have 2x4s available to us.
Planning to build a stand for my 3ft/920mm x 16"/400mm tank.

I know 2x4s aren't really 2x4", more like 1.5x3.5"/38x89mm.
We have 1.5x3"/38x76mm and 1.5/4.5/38x114mm.

Will the 1.5x3" work, or would it be better to use the 1.5/4.5"s?

Thanks in advance,
FB

freakboy I think that would be dependent on how big your tank is, we are missing a dimension. That said unless it is really tall I think you will be just fine with 1.5x3."

Here's my RE stand for my 180, I did put the uprights on the ends where on supports the two horizontal ones above however.

I redundantly braced the back and sides to 'anti-rack' it because the way I'm putting removeable panels, and no type of frace frames, it won't have any other real 'anti-racking' supports. In this picture, it's laying on it's face.

Here it is with the first coat of latex exterior paint. If all goes well, the stand won't see/be in contact with any water- I'll continue to use my basement sump.

Here are the Maple Ply panels that will be covering the frame

Here is my current 125 mixed reef, that will be transferring to it

Thanks RE for the thread on the Basic Design,
And thanks to all for looking

Back