Electric Bill for Large Aquarium (1,000 gallon+).

JaysLittleOcean

Just curious to know what your average electric bill is for your aquarium? I just installed a pool and the pump runs about 12 hours and I got a decent jump in my electric bill. I have a lot of equipment that I use for work mostly server and networking equipment so I already spend on average around $450 to $500 a month.

I used the electric calculator on this site to see what to expect with my new 500 gallon tank and it quoted $92 a month at 11cents a kw hour

That seems waaaaay low. My electricity bill (adjusted for rate changes ) was nominally $200 before I got back to the hobby, $450 since. That's on a multi-tank, 500 gallon system.

That seems waaaaay low. My electricity bill (adjusted for rate changes ) was nominally $200 before I got back to the hobby, $450 since. That's on a multi-tank, 500 gallon system.

I know I'm missing a few of the smaller components but these are the main ones. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic.
85c691ee3270cdf78c4c539be8450641.png
6410a5f4280d3a6bc2745c4144ae7288.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all the DC pumps and LED lights the tank is lower than you might think. Regardless combing that with a pool, I have the same, I did solar and it was a massive savings.

My bill in the sh*tty monopolized San Diego SDGE bend you over and no spit rear ending market is $450 in my 1375sq ft townhouse with my 1100g Dt system plus my 300g QT system and 40g upstairs softy tank

My bill in the sh*tty monopolized San Diego SDGE bend you over and no spit rear ending market is $450 in my 1375sq ft townhouse with my 1100g Dt system plus my 300g QT system and 40g upstairs softy tank

That is a lot but your quarantine system is also bigger than 90% of the full systems that people have lol. Oh not to mention the very small 1,100 gallon dt

LOL thank you everyone. Over hear in NY we pay a premium. Not as much as California but probably a close 2nd. I am in the process of working with SolarCity to replace my roof with Tesla Tiles if financially feasible. If not standard solar will be the way I go with a 100% offset.

:lol: my sig notwithstanding, it's possible I've over complicated my system. Running four A/C pumps of varying wattage for return, skimmer and reactors. Requires 800 watts of heat in the Winter; chiller in the Summer. I still run one MH on my frag tank, but loads of LED elsewhere. CL pump.

Heh, making me feel better. Mining Ethereum + tank + house = $130/month. I'm not going nuts with accessories though. Last year in Bakersfield California broke $500 a month. AC with tier 3 rates was nasty.

LOL thank you everyone. Over hear in NY we pay a premium. Not as much as California but probably a close 2nd. I am in the process of working with SolarCity to replace my roof with Tesla Tiles if financially feasible. If not standard solar will be the way I go with a 100% offset.

If looking at solar I'd recommend avoiding any power purchase agreement companies like solar city push. Owning the system is the way to go. They will tell you it increases value, but not if you don't own it. You sell, the buyers refuse to assume the lease, then you are stuck paying for their power until the lease runs out. So you end up paying someone else for your power, just saving a penny or two per kwh. And rates with them only go up every year--not tied to the cost of generation once set (at least it used to be this way).

I remember to purchase from Solar City was way more expensive than the underlying value of their products (don't know anything about Tesla tiles but am leery of anything pushed by Musk--a good talker at least). I ended up finding a local company to install a Sunpower system. Of course, rates here are probably WAY cheaper than in CA or NY even though MD is part of regulation nation.

I run a 350 FOWLR and a 125 reef with associated sumps, all with DC pumps and LED lighting.
In 2013,I was paying about $8.07 a day for my 2400 sq foot house in the AZ heat at an average 11 cents / kWh. That was pre-reefing.
My most recent bill bill shows my YTD at $8.97 a day, $278 a month average a 11 cents / kWh.
Now, 2 kids have moved out since 2013 and I have switched all other lighting to LEDS as well.
Still, My worst year was 2016 when the kids were still here. That was $9.89 or $302 a month.

We are .08 a kwh here. 600ish gallons is about $200-220 a month. I use MH, but the IR is VERY welcome since about 75% of my tank cost is heat.

I can sell one nice sized frag of Purple Monster and easily pay for that electricity. Dragons breath macro can also easily pay the bills.

For reference, my hot tub is about $100 a month in the winter.

It takes a lot of solar panels to make up for tanks and a hot tub...

I hear ya.....Up here in the Bay Area our Tier 3 rate is $0.40 kWh!

Why worry about electricity bill?. If you can afford building a tank that huge, it is clear that you can afford the electricity consumption. I will be in tears looking at 1000G reef tank at home :)

Yikes! I'm now very thankful for my city owned utility company.

My most recent electric bill for a 4800 sq foot house (average high during the billing period of 94 degrees) was $325. This included my pool which has a spa and two water falls on a separate pump.

My aquarium is only 160 gallons but I have hardly noticed any change when I added it. The pool is another story. It's new and it jacked my bill up almost $100 a month. Before I built it my highest electric bill was about $225 with the aquarium.

I dunno how popular solar is in the states but in Australia it's nearly a must. 5kw systems pretty much negates my ducted aircon and tank usage during the day when the suns out

Back