Final running, skimmer choice for 300g.

Fitz19d

Agonizing over skimmer choice. Would have been much easier if I had a 200 or 500g. 300 seems like an awkward in between. I'll have around 500 total volume from stumps but 300dd heavy stocked display. (Cuttles out failing that mixed reef with a couple big fish and many smaller)

M trying to stay somewhat on budget so the money can be spent on other critical equipment. From 2 days of reading I think I've narrowed it down to......

Skimz sc205. $520. 220g heavy, 320 medium.
Nice cheaper but to small?...

Reef octopus regal 250int. $615. 300g heavy
Controllable pump useful? Right at 300g heavy rating

Reef octopus SRO 5000 int $610. 400g heavy
Very basic but rated even heavy to 400

Leaning towards RO but was hoping to find something 4 to 500$ any other suggestions? I looked at bubble Magus curve 9 but biggest is rated to small? Rlss r8s seen to small but r10 jumps way up in price to crazy town. Life reef I don't like form and price. Coral box c9... I like Chinese but not when it comes to trying to replace a skimmer pump and I think too small. S

Seems like a wash on the ro's but don't know how to weigh them. Is BRS heavy rated reasonable or do I want the extra load over the one with controller.

All but set on the RO< but did find an older basic and I think discontinued aquamax product.

Cone 5 in sump. (Not S or Q) On sale for almost a hundred cheaper than the RO. Uses Synchra/sicce pump so easy replacement? Rated for "Up to 550". Can't find the heavy rating, but the newer Cone S and similiar of the same model number and top gallon rating have a heavy rating of 350 gallons.

Any thoughts, anyone have the old big basic Cone x models? Esp compared to the 2 Octopus models above?

Still wondering if a cuve 9 might not be able?

Seriously. On a 300, take a hard look at Lifereef. I run a 36" on my 220g- 350 system total and I would never ever change. EVER.

I have a 300 gallon tank. I am using a SRO 5000 int. It is a good skimmer. It is certainly adequate for the tank. I can and do vodka dose with this skimmer. It is a good idea to have a skimmer that is rated for a larger tank than it is on.

@ Reel.

I'm just having a hard time going lifereef even if he is local. I see good reviews, but you do too even on jebao skimmer and very basic ASM's. But I can see a lot of negatives on them too about being finicky and other things.

Also height is a little unusual, unsure if a 36 inch would be a nuisance, though it is a basement sump afterall. I'm sure on the 220 you might be using more compact ones. Theres several other brand/choices I'd love but once you get to my size they stop offering options. (Or if they do it's a jump to like 450-700g tanks)

Back